The Most Offtopic Thread Ever in the History of Offtopic Threads

Should there be a challenge in this thread every once in a while?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
In Fusion 360, it's really easy to go back and make changes to the model, so you could go ahead and design the model, even if you don't know the dimensions of the power pod, and put it in later.
yea but how do I create the formers and skins in fusion 360? I can't find a youtube on them

Whit Armstrong

Elite member
yea but how do I create the formers and skins in fusion 360? I can't find a youtube on them
I'm working on a tutorial, but here are the basics (you'll need to know how to use fusion 360 already)
1. make a sketch of each former in the correct position and extrude it the thickness of your foam
2. use a surface loft to connect the formers (one loft per 2 formers)
3. thicken the surface loft the thickness of your foam
4. sketch a really thin rectangle to split the skins apart at the bottom
5. wit the exactflat addon installed, publish the faces of one skin as piece 1 (you will need an exactflat online account)
6. unwrap it online and take a screenshot of the flattened piece
7. in Fusion 360, measure an edge of the piece that you have unwrapped
8. calibrate the image so that the length of the edge matches the one you measured in step 7
9. create a sketch and trace the picture of the unwrapped skin
10. extrude the sketch
11. install the shaper origin export svg plugin
12. export each face as an svg
13. open the svg's in Inkscape
14. set the fill to none, and the stroke to black
15. set the stroke width to 1 mm
16 arrange your pieces on the canvas, make sure the canvas size is the same size as your foamboard
17 save a copy of the inkscape file as a pdf, and tile it and print it.

**that was an extremely brief tutorial of the one I will be putting on my website, that one will bea a lot easier to follow and require less previous knowledge.**

Whit Armstrong

Elite member
ok im working in fusion 360... setting up the formers... how do I make the skins over the formers?
on the top, there is a tab labeled surface. click on it, and do a surface loft. (it's just like the regular lof symbol, but orange) then thicken the loft with the thicken tool.

I highly recommend doing a few basic fusion 360 projects and watching ~5 tutorials before taking on something as hard as designing a plane though.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
on the top, there is a tab labeled surface. click on it, and do a surface loft. (it's just like the regular lof symbol, but orange) then thicken the loft with the thicken tool.

I highly recommend doing a few basic fusion 360 projects and watching ~5 tutorials before taking on something as hard as designing a plane though.
well I'm learning by my mistakes

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
here is how it is looking..
Screen Shot 2020-12-12 at 22.55.57.png

Whit Armstrong

Elite member
here is how it is looking..
View attachment 186049

I suggest that for the areas where some formers are layered, you only make one extrusion, and then copy and paste it for each former. It's helpful when doing lofts like this:
Screen Shot 2020-12-12 at 4.12.02 PM.png

You can make it go to the middle of the formers, just like on FT's master series planes. It's also helpful to see how many layers it is when making the plans in Inkscape.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I suggest that for the areas where some formers are layered, you only make one extrusion, and then copy and paste it for each former. It's helpful when doing lofts like this:
View attachment 186051

You can make it go to the middle of the formers, just like on FT's master series planes. It's also helpful to see how many layers it is when making the plans in Inkscape.
what is the command to copy and paste?

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Did you know that RC modelers were a factor in the Saturn V, although not necessarily a good one. To insulate the upper stage tanks they planned to use Balsa wood, but because there wasn't enough high quality balsa in the world, they wouldn't have been able to get enough for the number of rockets they planned to produce. They used Cork instead I believe.