The Second Part of my Journey - The Diary

daxian

Elite member
nice one Mayan.....you will have a lot of fun with it ...as for dual rates and expo ,i usually go with 40% for lo rates and 80% hi rates with 30 expo , try at that, then adjust as you feel the need ...cant help with storch as i have never flown her ...yet !!

Arcfyre

Elite member
I would also say try the TT first, as it's the plane you have the most experience with.

As for the Storch and flaps, I think it depends on your installation. For flaperons on a 3 position switch, you'll want something like 0%, 20% and 35%. If you build the wing with independent flap servos, it will be something like -100%, 0%, 100%.

You'll have to play with it to see what looks right.

mayan

Legendary member
I would also say try the TT first, as it's the plane you have the most experience with.

As for the Storch and flaps, I think it depends on your installation. For flaperons on a 3 position switch, you'll want something like 0%, 20% and 35%. If you build the wing with independent flap servos, it will be something like -100%, 0%, 100%.

You'll have to play with it to see what looks right.
Would you recommend flapirons or independent flaps?

mayan

Legendary member
I was also thinking about going with the TT first too just so I could tell the difference between flying without a good Tx and flying with one. But then it also tickles me to try something that I could have never achieved before like flaperons or elevons :). Hard decision :(. Any other thoughts? @kilroy07 @buzzbomb

basslord1124

Master member
Yeah definitely TT first since you are comfortable with it. That was totally awesome of @kilroy07 and @buzzbomb hooking you up! I bet it feels great having a good Tx in your hands now, I know it felt good when I got my Spektrum and could ditch the little controller I was using. It's really more about the flexibility you get with a good computerized transmitter. Small precise adjustments with expo and dual rates, programming in mixes, etc. It's just awesome!

But yeah, practice with your TT and just get the feel for it. For some of this, we can really only give you some basic settings to try, in the end, it really just comes down to personal preference.

Like you, I'm also trying flaps on my Storch. I ran just plain 4 channel for a while. Still got some wiring/programming to finish up on mine, but I am gonna be running separate flap servos. I'm pretty sure in this configuration though you will need a beefier ESC. Something with a 5A BEC. I have heard of people trying to do it with an ESC with a 3A BEC and the servo draw would overpower the system. If you were doing flaperons you wouldn't have to worry about this. Just something to think about. The Storch is such a floaty plane, I figure it'll be awesome with flaps!

Arcfyre

Elite member
Would you recommend flapirons or independent flaps?

I've never flown a Storch with flaperons, mine have always had independent flap servos. This installation is more expensive and time consuming to install, as you need to make a wing with 4 servos.

I've flown a cub, mustang, simple scout, sea duck, and my TTT with flaperons. They all work very well and the installation is easier. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

mayan

Legendary member
Thanks for all the input guys. I still hear a big shout out to go with the TT for a first time use of the new Tx so that just might be what I’ll do.

What is the difference between flaperons and separate flaps? I mean how do they effect the plane?

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I agree, can't go wrong either way.

Flaperons are cheaper, have fewer components, and (if you have a good TX) simpler. They work well but, to me, they don't seem to slow the plane as much as having separate flaps. Flaperons are great on things like a TT or many of the other simple FT builds...

Flaps on the other hand are bit more involved on the build side but get better results for me the way I use them. I have mine set up so first position is up, 2nd is about 30%, and 3rd is %100. I can take off in 2nd position if needed, and I can also slow my approach. I only use 3rd position in the final few feet most of the time (or to do a very steep decent over an obstacle) It works almost like an air brake, so much so that sometimes I have to compensate with a bit of throttle! As soon as you cut the throttle, it drops right in... Perfect STOL setup!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
@mayan, If you haven't decided yet then I say TT without a question. Rather than set standard duel rates, set the rates so you have expo in one switch position and none in the other. Launch and fly a circuit without the expo, then flip your switch and fly with it. That'll give you a real-time comparison to see what kind of difference it makes on the plane you are most familiar with.

Then you could just reprogram the trans in the field to have proper rates and expo. Also you needn't limit yourself to one plane. For quite a while I brought two or three planes out and just swapped the receiver between planes. You don't even need separate model set ups for basic flying. If you set up a three channel plane, the trans doesn't know if the receiver is in a DR1 or an SE5. The same with a basic 4ch setup.

If you've got a 3ch model and a 4ch model programmed in, you could just use those two and swap the receiver between planes and fly whichever you want. Currently, most of my models are copies of each other. All that really differs is the control surface deflection for the different rates.

I am so happy for you, my friend! I can't wait to hear how your flight(s) went!

It may be notable as well, that while the expo was a Godsend to me, my son doesn't usually fly with it. He still prefers 100% because that's how he learned to fly. He only flys expo if the wind is giving him a hard time. But then he DOES fly with the expo and he's able to fly in that wind. It really is a great thing to have available.

Last edited:

mayan

Legendary member
@mayan, If you haven't decided yet then I say TT without a question. Rather than set standard duel rates, set the rates so you have expo in one switch position and none in the other. Launch and fly a circuit without the expo, then flip your switch and fly with it. That'll give you a real-time comparison to see what kind of difference it makes on the plane you are most familiar with.

Then you could just reprogram the trans in the field to have proper rates and expo. Also you needn't limit yourself to one plane. For quite a while I brought two or three planes out and just swapped the receiver between planes. You don't even need separate model set ups for basic flying. If you set up a three channel plane, the trans doesn't know if the receiver is in a DR1 or an SE5. The same with a basic 4ch setup.

If you've got a 3ch model and a 4ch model programmed in, you could just use those two and swap the receiver between planes and fly whichever you want.

I am so happy for you, my friend! I can't wait to hear how your flight(s) went!

It may be notable as well, that while the expo was a Godsend to me, my son doesn't usually fly with it. He still prefers 100% because that's how he learned to fly. He only flys expo if the wind is giving him a hard time. But then he DOES fly with the expo and he's able to fly in that wind. It really is a great thing to have available.
That is actually a fear I have that since I have gotten used to flying some models with no expos that it would feel rather unresponsive.

Any how I have started building a new TT for matter :).

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
It is good to see you finally have a modern radio system!
Firstly Expo, (if setup correctly), will not feel like there is a sluggishness in the controls but rather you will find a definite increase in the ability to finely control the plane and a marked reduction in the over controlling that sometimes raised its ugly head.

As for a recommendation for the first plane ot use it on I would disagree with others here and say try it on the best flying EDGE that you have. I would use around -30% on low rate and -50% on high rate. 50% is a nominal maximum setting that gives assistance without removing the true control sensitivity too much. more than 50% and you start "Stick banging" to fly the plane.

The dual antenna system, (if used properly), will also mean a total lack of LOS and so all crashes will now be your own fault:rolleyes:.

Flaperons are just a mix of ailerons and flaps and whilst effective they can actually introduce a few minor issues at very low speeds and can even cause more vicious stalls if you try to land too slowly. As a result of using the ailerons as partial flaps you do increase the wings overall lift but they can also cause the airflow across the top of the wing to become more span-wise and if the wing stalls the flaperon rapidly becomes an airbrake, (on one wing only), and a spiraling, nose in, crash is next! This crash can be triggered by just a minor aileron input to correct plane attitude. With separate flaps it is still possible to stall the wing But the flap portion of BOTH wings can stall at the same time and yet the wing tips can still provide some lift and the ailerons can provide some ability to maintain the level of the plane and so a vertical, and yet plane level, drop can be expected hard onto the landing gear!

Another advantage of separate flaps is that you can go high alpha with the motor generated airflow being blown across the flaps and producing lift even at a speed below normal stall. To me flaperons work but it is like playing with a loaded gun!

Have fun!

Hondo76251

Legendary member
That is actually a fear I have that since I have gotten used to flying some models with no expos that it would feel rather unresponse...
I rarely use expo anymore (except in extremely twitchy things like my ultra micro cruiser)

Sometimes I've even found that when I do too much expo it causes me to over correct in extreme maneuvers, almost encouraging/forcing you to bang sticks to full throw to get enough control surface movement...

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
That is actually a fear I have that since I have gotten used to flying some models with no expos that it would feel rather unresponsive.

Any how I have started building a new TT for matter :).
I doubt you'll need expo with the TT. That just seems the best way for you to feel what it does, rather than just reading about it. I suspect that for you the expo and dual rates will really come into play with other models.

Maybe just a little bit on on the Storch, to smooth things out when cruising around and maybe more with the Edge, to make it more controllable when you want to be quiet on the sticks, and then make it jump when you throw the sticks to the side. That's when the different models in the trans memory will be coming into play.

*EDIT* Or what Hai-Lee said. :p That posted while I was writing this. *EDIT*

Last edited:

Wildthing

Legendary member
Which ever plane you decide to use measure the deflection of the control surfaces as it is now with your old radio , then with the new one and RX adjust your rates to get the same deflection and add 30% expo. Other then the expo the plane will still be what you are used to flying. I wouldn't worry about dual rates until you find a comfortable setting in one rate. You could actually do this with all your planes so you have a good starting point.

I used to program each model but ran out of room, now I keep a little note in each plane with it's settings and a little graph of any trim , I now only use a few channels in the tx.

bracesport

Legendary member
@mayan - split the aileron in half and use 4 servos - then you can have flaps down and ailerons up for air brakes - you can also run the ailerons and flaps in tandem to increase their overall size - just for fun of course!

kilroy07

Legendary member
The Storch is such a floaty plane, I figure it'll be awesome with flaps!
I have my second setting a bit agressive and I need to add power for that second notch of flaps or she'll literally stop in midair... :LOL:

If you have a couple spare servos on hand, I also vote for separate flaps on the Storch... That's how I have mine configured and it really makes a huge difference...

-30% expo should be fine... I wouldn't worry about dual rates yet... the storch wouldn't be going fast enough to need it.
If you plan on the edge however... yea, that's a fast little bugger and you'll probably want dual rates on it.

How about you just toss that reciever in a any old plane so we can see you fly?! :LOL:

mayan

Legendary member
I can’t hold myself so here is a sneak peak.
6378FB24-6AA7-42AC-8724-728D9269D343.jpeg

A9E0641C-1874-4312-AB19-66F3738766E0.jpeg