The Second Part of my Journey - The Diary

mayan

Legendary member
@mayan - our little team from the Spit build gives me much joy and inspiration I make it my mission to keep track of all the comings and goings - I want to see your success with the Howard!
I just flew the Spitfire this morning, no videos though, just pure fun of messing around :). Practiced doing loops, rolls, knife edge, inverted and tried flat spin but can't figure it out yet.

Jimun

Elite member
Working on my Howard DGA-6 build trying to work out some problems that arose I had to take a break. So here are two new videos from me, enjoy!

Practicing 3D flying with the HB A/F Easy Edge.

Showing off my skills to a build buddy from work with the Master Series Corsair.
Man your skills are ever increasing(y):D. It is good to see you flying and learning more. and it looks like they are both ready to fly again.

Vimana89

Legendary member
You got it!

So next set of videos sum up unless you all have more ideas.
Nutball for @Vimana89 if he approves it.
Knife endge with the Spitfire for @Jimun.

This is one is going to be a bit complicated but I'll try, a roll how to video for @bracesport.

Any other requests? Apart from finishing the Howard DGA-6 with a build video which is already in the works.
Hey, just a suggestion, you build and fly what YOU want! A Nutball is not technically a delta, a delta has a triangular wing,but I am a fan of the Nutball and it's a lot of fun. If you are interested in a Nutball at all, it would be just as cool to see you fly that as any delta👍

Last edited:

Vimana89

Legendary member
@Vimana89 does a nutball count? I never really liked that type of airframe but then again I didn't like the DR-1 either and ended up enjoying it very much.
Like I said on the previous posy, fly what you like, these are only suggestions! If you'd want to do the Nutball, I'd love to see you do that. I'll show you what some nice deltas look like, and if none of them appeal to you, that's cool, but might be more options than you thought.
1572621487469.png

1572621538827.png
1572621617766.png
1572621700622.png
1572621966637.png

Vimana89

Legendary member
If you do en up going for the Nutball though, I'll make one with you(though perhaps a flat experimental version with elevons!). I'll even start a group build thread, because we totally need another!

mayan

Legendary member
@Vimana89 let's do this, it's a delta you want to see me fly and I want more exprience flying anything anyhow. So pick a model, post the plans here or else where, tag me and I'll build and fly it :), we can even build and fly it on the same day. Deal?

Vimana89

Legendary member
@Vimana89 let's do this, it's a delta you want to see me fly and I want more exprience flying anything anyhow. So pick a model, post the plans here or else where, tag me and I'll build and fly it :), we can even build and fly it on the same day. Deal?
Sounds awesome. I'm going to look for one that I think could be fun for us both
Sounds good. I'm going to look around for one that's classy and fun, but fairly basic to build. I'll shoot a couple different options by you. Might be worth starting a group thread and get even more people to jump in!

Vimana89

Legendary member
I've thought of two possible options, both of which are easy to build and fun to fly. We can go with the good ol' FT delta, easy to build and customize, plans and kits readily available, very great flyer. That would make a good group build thread, and I wouldn't mind building one myself. The other option does not have plans, but is very easy to make, has all the dimensions listed, and is highly aerobatic. That would be my own Arrowhead tailed delta design, and the reasons I think you would like it is for one, it has a WW2 bomber style tail kind of like a war bird, and is AET like some of the planes you really enjoy most. It's highly aerobatic, easy to fly fast or slow, turns and loops on a dime, and even does some high alpha. The other reason I think you'd like it is because @Grifflyer has already build one, and flies it way better than I do, even does inverted. I'll link the thread so you can check it out and see what you think: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/vimana89-arrowhead-tailed-delta.60373/page-5.

mayan

Legendary member
Sounds awesome. I'm going to look for one that I think could be fun for us both
Sounds good. I'm going to look around for one that's classy and fun, but fairly basic to build. I'll shoot a couple different options by you. Might be worth starting a group thread and get even more people to jump in!
Sounds like a plan to me.

I've thought of two possible options, both of which are easy to build and fun to fly. We can go with the good ol' FT delta, easy to build and customize, plans and kits readily available, very great flyer. That would make a good group build thread, and I wouldn't mind building one myself. The other option does not have plans, but is very easy to make, has all the dimensions listed, and is highly aerobatic. That would be my own Arrowhead tailed delta design, and the reasons I think you would like it is for one, it has a WW2 bomber style tail kind of like a war bird, and is AET like some of the planes you really enjoy most. It's highly aerobatic, easy to fly fast or slow, turns and loops on a dime, and even does some high alpha. The other reason I think you'd like it is because @Grifflyer has already build one, and flies it way better than I do, even does inverted. I'll link the thread so you can check it out and see what you think: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/vimana89-arrowhead-tailed-delta.60373/page-5.
I’ll check it in the morning. I am after a shift at work now and back at it again in the morning. So I got to get some rest but want to check that out properly.

mayan

Legendary member
Alright @Vimana89 so I checked out your thread and watched the videos I do like the way yours flys which looks a lot like what I am used to flying. I do want you though to choose what you want me to build. I don't care what it is simple or complicated, so long as it uses any of these old FT power packs A,B,C or F. I would though appreciate if you choose something that would give me the real feeling of flying a Delta, so I too can fall in love with yet another type of airframe :).

BTW I dig your model more over the FT delta :).

Vimana89

Legendary member
Alright @Vimana89 so I checked out your thread and watched the videos I do like the way yours flys which looks a lot like what I am used to flying. I do want you though to choose what you want me to build. I don't care what it is simple or complicated, so long as it uses any of these old FT power packs A,B,C or F. I would though appreciate if you choose something that would give me the real feeling of flying a Delta, so I too can fall in love with yet another type of airframe :).

BTW I dig your model more over the FT delta :).
I did some more thinking and compared the options of my tailed delta and more conventional tailless deltas like the FT delta, super simple delta, even my Avro Vulcan prop in slot, etc. Even with tailless deltas, there's always some variety of handling differences from plane to plane, such as my Vulcan, which is a big wide delta and the new slender delta I made recently. They are both tailless deltas, but handle very differently because of their aspect ratios and other stuff like prop placement and stabilizer style.

The most familiar thing the Vulcan(or a similar big wide delta) would feel like to you is a floatier version of your KFM wing. The banks, rolls, and loops would feel and look very similar, but the plane would overall handle light and floaty and do a bit of high alpha possibly where the KFM is a bit heavier less floaty. The slender delta can roll faster than anything, like a drill bit, and has great top speed, but is generally less maneuverable than some of the other deltas, the banks are a little more long and graceful unless you really get the technique to snap it tighter. The slender delta has latent potential for extreme high alpha and some good slow flight, but it needs an overpowered motor-my 15/30" on 1806 loops and rolls and flies great, but doesn't really slow fly or high alpha like the old V Sliver did, telling me it really wants a 2205 or something similar. This is a kind of specialized plane for shorter flights on a bigger motor and aggressive prop but lighter battery. It's not a very good all-arounder, but super fun. Not something I'd just push on somebody to build with no clue of what they are getting into.

Despite differences from plane to plane, here's things that you can generally expect of deltas; big speed envelope from really slow to extremely fast, generally hard if not impossible to stall(and gentle when they do) and good at full vert, most are capable of very good high alpha and feel floaty on slow flight if you got a low wing loading. Most deltas are such a no-brainer and gentle when it comes to landing it's ridiculous. So will the Arrowhead give you this? Yes, I'd say it has all those characteristics that would give it a true delta feel, including the high alpha. This is not going to just feel like any other AET sportster, the delta attributes will be pretty dominant, but enhanced by the tail plane in ways that give it some really well-rounded and unique qualities. The turns and loops are so snappy, and the stability on every axis is just rock solid for only a 20" wing span. This can do rolls that are pretty rapid and extremely axial, definitely delta style.

So come build one with me and @Grifflyer(making sure it's the new version with the twin tails and all the sciencey stuff that made it better, not the short coupled old one that stalls bad!). All the dimensions are listed, it's all angles, easy to just draw up with a straight edge, or mock up on your software, if that is your approach. The length of the fuselage and length between the wing and tail plane are listed, but there's no set style of fuselage or small exact measurements for that part like there is for all the rest, that part will be all you(y). I used a simple A-fold box that's somewhat skeletal and open at the back. @Grifflyer used an arrow shaft-light, strong, and totally fitting. You can do it any way you want, from a nube tube or any other kind of A or B fold box, to a stick or spar of some kind, to whatever style you want. Me and Grifflyer have already had a lot of success with ours, so we can help you with any issues and make sure yours flies great! I definitely wouldn't recommend my own design if I thought it was junk or you wouldn't like it, and you have our experience with it to help ensure you get the most out of yours.

mayan

Legendary member
I did some more thinking and compared the options of my tailed delta and more conventional tailless deltas like the FT delta, super simple delta, even my Avro Vulcan prop in slot, etc. Even with tailless deltas, there's always some variety of handling differences from plane to plane, such as my Vulcan, which is a big wide delta and the new slender delta I made recently. They are both tailless deltas, but handle very differently because of their aspect ratios and other stuff like prop placement and stabilizer style.

The most familiar thing the Vulcan(or a similar big wide delta) would feel like to you is a floatier version of your KFM wing. The banks, rolls, and loops would feel and look very similar, but the plane would overall handle light and floaty and do a bit of high alpha possibly where the KFM is a bit heavier less floaty. The slender delta can roll faster than anything, like a drill bit, and has great top speed, but is generally less maneuverable than some of the other deltas, the banks are a little more long and graceful unless you really get the technique to snap it tighter. The slender delta has latent potential for extreme high alpha and some good slow flight, but it needs an overpowered motor-my 15/30" on 1806 loops and rolls and flies great, but doesn't really slow fly or high alpha like the old V Sliver did, telling me it really wants a 2205 or something similar. This is a kind of specialized plane for shorter flights on a bigger motor and aggressive prop but lighter battery. It's not a very good all-arounder, but super fun. Not something I'd just push on somebody to build with no clue of what they are getting into.

Despite differences from plane to plane, here's things that you can generally expect of deltas; big speed envelope from really slow to extremely fast, generally hard if not impossible to stall(and gentle when they do) and good at full vert, most are capable of very good high alpha and feel floaty on slow flight if you got a low wing loading. Most deltas are such a no-brainer and gentle when it comes to landing it's ridiculous. So will the Arrowhead give you this? Yes, I'd say it has all those characteristics that would give it a true delta feel, including the high alpha. This is not going to just feel like any other AET sportster, the delta attributes will be pretty dominant, but enhanced by the tail plane in ways that give it some really well-rounded and unique qualities. The turns and loops are so snappy, and the stability on every axis is just rock solid for only a 20" wing span. This can do rolls that are pretty rapid and extremely axial, definitely delta style.

So come build one with me and @Grifflyer(making sure it's the new version with the twin tails and all the sciencey stuff that made it better, not the short coupled old one that stalls bad!). All the dimensions are listed, it's all angles, easy to just draw up with a straight edge, or mock up on your software, if that is your approach. The length of the fuselage and length between the wing and tail plane are listed, but there's no set style of fuselage or small exact measurements for that part like there is for all the rest, that part will be all you(y). I used a simple A-fold box that's somewhat skeletal and open at the back. @Grifflyer used an arrow shaft-light, strong, and totally fitting. You can do it any way you want, from a nube tube or any other kind of A or B fold box, to a stick or spar of some kind, to whatever style you want. Me and Grifflyer have already had a lot of success with ours, so we can help you with any issues and make sure yours flies great! I definitely wouldn't recommend my own design if I thought it was junk or you wouldn't like it, and you have our experience with it to help ensure you get the most out of yours.
@Vimana89 you are on! Post the updated arrowhead plans and I’ll start building it! I have just finished fixing up the last build of the DGA-6 and hope to be able to do some tests on it tomorrow. I have to get the Easy Edge that I broke replaced and that’s on for tonight. Hope to finish it up tonight and if I do than tomorrow during my night shift I can start working on the arrowhead :).

Vimana89

Legendary member
@Vimana89 you are on! Post the updated arrowhead plans and I’ll start building it! I have just finished fixing up the last build of the DGA-6 and hope to be able to do some tests on it tomorrow. I have to get the Easy Edge that I broke replaced and that’s on for tonight. Hope to finish it up tonight and if I do than tomorrow during my night shift I can start working on the arrowhead :).
So I was going to say, there are no real plans for it, just measurements, as I have not yet really taught myself to make plans, I will be learning that with my FTFC20 entries first hand drawn, then on a program...however, @Grifflyer was kind enough to hit me up and offer to make plans, so if you wait a bit for him to make the plans, you'll have quality tiled plans available and not have to draw everything up yourself(y).

mayan

Legendary member
So I was going to say, there are no real plans for it, just measurements, as I have not yet really taught myself to make plans, I will be learning that with my FTFC20 entries first hand drawn, then on a program...however, @Grifflyer was kind enough to hit me up and offer to make plans, so if you wait a bit for him to make the plans, you'll have quality tiled plans available and not have to draw everything up yourself(y).
I don’t mind trying to do it freestyle what’s the measurements?

Vimana89

Legendary member
I don’t mind trying to do it freestyle what’s the measurements?
They are listed on the thread, I'll see which post and let you know or find pics of the sketches. Actually still got photos here they are! Can't read something or have questions just ask. The only thing that needs changing is the flat part at the very front of the wing. I had mine at 5" just to be safe but @Grifflyer narrowed his down to I think just 2 or 2.5"

Attachments

• IMG_1167.JPG
    IMG_1167.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1168.JPG
    IMG_1168.JPG
  • IMG_1169.JPG
    IMG_1169.JPG
  • IMG_1170.JPG
    IMG_1170.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1171.JPG
    IMG_1171.JPG
  • IMG_1172.JPG
    IMG_1172.JPG

mayan

Legendary member
They are listed on the thread, I'll see which post and let you know or find pics of the sketches. Actually still got photos here they are! Can't read something or have questions just ask. The only thing that needs changing is the flat part at the very front of the wing. I had mine at 5" just to be safe but @Grifflyer narrowed his down to I think just 2 or 2.5"
Thanks buddy. Will look into those tomorrow after I add the electronics to my new Easy Edge.
16858C9B-9D2E-412F-819E-E47576BAC5AD.jpeg

@buzzbomb when are we flying?!