The Second Part of my Journey - The Diary

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I still feel a little blahhh like @basslord1124 calls it, and still feel the need to just let it all out somehow. I'd write about it but feel that trying so very hard to express myself properly in writing, is taking a lot of time and energy out of me that sometimes even leads to frustration until I get a clear undistracted thought (after all english is not my mother language). I might do a video about this sometime and that's all.

Meanwhile, cleaning up my work room ment also doing a plane check refresh. Sometimes I just have electronics laying around and then when I do this refresh from time to time I strip the electronics and trash plane pieces that can't be used. After cleaning up I realized that I am not using up all the motors that I have because I crashed the planes that used them and never rebuilt them. I have set a goal for the winter make sure each unused motor get a plane to go with it. Currently looking for 2 planes that use a B pack motor on them and fly well with it (have enough juice). I was thinking of fixing up new wings for my Simple Soarer so that would leave me with one plane to choose, I narrowed down my options based on what FT recommends, and now I come to you. What do you recommend out of these options, which plane do you think will best fit my skill set, and which will teach me the most? I was eyeing the Bronco but that would mean that I couldn't rebuild the Simple Soarer which is a plane that I let my son fly and try to train him on. Looking forward for your thoughts...

View attachment 145986
I think Duster all the way. I've always thought that looked like a fun plane to fly. It seems relatively simple to build, and will give you more experience with a low wing aircraft. I think you could have lots of fun with it. :)

basslord1124

Master member
Ah...that "blahness" has struck you too...I see. Not fun. :( Well hopefully it'll turn around soon and perhaps this will help.

I am almost kinda thinking picking 1 from each extreme...something slow and easy for your son and then something to challenge you.

Slow and easy:
-Simple Soarer (obviously)
-Simple Cub (can be made 3 or 4 channel like the TT)
-Bloody Baron....I am kinda partial to it obviously as it's a lightning quick build and it can be flown slow or fast. Plus you could do 3 channel (AET) or 4 channel with it.
-Duster

Challenging:
-Viggen ...obviously :)
-FT-22 ....these don't appear to be that bad...I have no experience with them though. But still, I'd say you should add some jets to your fleet.

mayan

Legendary member
Ah...that "blahness" has struck you too...I see. Not fun. :( Well hopefully it'll turn around soon and perhaps this will help.

I am almost kinda thinking picking 1 from each extreme...something slow and easy for your son and then something to challenge you.

Slow and easy:
-Simple Soarer (obviously)
-Simple Cub (can be made 3 or 4 channel like the TT)
-Bloody Baron....I am kinda partial to it obviously as it's a lightning quick build and it can be flown slow or fast. Plus you could do 3 channel (AET) or 4 channel with it.
-Duster

Challenging:
-Viggen ...obviously :)
-FT-22 ....these don't appear to be that bad...I have no experience with them though. But still, I'd say you should add some jets to your fleet.
Thanks for caring buddy, feeling is stuck I think part of it is the winter that is coming in fast. Also thanks for the suggestions I am really beating my head trying to make take the decission. BTW I am going to build myself a new Charlie (jet) as part of this group build: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/abc-stem-trifecta-group-build.60572/ :), excited to see if I can make it fly one circut of the field this time, haven't had luck with it last time I tried.

mayan

Legendary member
Hey all! I haven't updated this thread in a while cause there wasn't really much to update with or about. Any ways a while back I went out to the field taking the Easy Edge and Howard DGA-6 with me. I flew both and think it was one of my more successful outings. At first glance the footage that I took seemed trash so I put it aside debating if I was even going to bother editing it. From here to there yesterday I had a night shift and having had the morning shift too I was tried and decided not to take any planes with me to fix or build. Instead I took my wife’s laptop figuring I’d work on it a bit going over new footage I started filming of the DGA-6 build process. I decided I’d do that until I got exhausted and then would try to rest some, found myself going over the footage I took the other day at the field instead. So here you have it two highlights videos of me flying two awesome birds.

HB A/F Easy Edge highlights

Howard DGA-6 aka Mr. Mulligan highlights

I am also super excited because I had a family member do this for me.

And later today I am supposed to get the final product :).
7584426E-59E2-4B4D-BBCB-3A2A92B71337.jpeg

More later...

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Hey all! I haven't updated this thread in a while cause there wasn't really much to update with or about. Any ways a while back I went out to the field taking the Easy Edge and Howard DGA-6 with me. I flew both and think it was one of my more successful outings. At first glance the footage that I took seemed trash so I put it aside debating if I was even going to bother editing it. From here to there yesterday I had a night shift and having had the morning shift too I was tried and decided not to take any planes with me to fix or build. Instead I took my wife’s laptop figuring I’d work on it a bit going over new footage I started filming of the DGA-6 build process. I decided I’d do that until I got exhausted and then would try to rest some, found myself going over the footage I took the other day at the field instead. So here you have it two highlights videos of me flying two awesome birds.

HB A/F Easy Edge highlights

Howard DGA-6 aka Mr. Mulligan highlights

I am also super excited because I had a family member do this for me.

And later today I am supposed to get the final product :).
View attachment 146376

More later...
Good flying, mayan! "I might not die, so I'm going to go fly." Heck yeah! :love: Plus you've got a 3d printed powerpod for the EAF Edge! You had a good day! :D

mayan

Legendary member
is the material PETG?
The material is PLA.

Tomorrow is special I have my work building buddy coming with me to the field to see me fly. Since my new DGA is still incomplete I gave her the option to choose one out of these: the Edge 540, Corsair, Spitfire. She choose the Corsair, so tomorrow that beauty is going to fly and hopefully make it home in one piece. I hope not to make a complete fool out of myself with a crash right after launch or any other stupid thing I might do :).

mayan

Legendary member
Working on my Howard DGA-6 build trying to work out some problems that arose I had to take a break. So here are two new videos from me, enjoy!

Practicing 3D flying with the HB A/F Easy Edge.

Showing off my skills to a build buddy from work with the Master Series Corsair.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Working on my Howard DGA-6 build trying to work out some problems that arose I had to take a break. So here are two new videos from me, enjoy!

Practicing 3D flying with the HB A/F Easy Edge.

Showing off my skills to a build buddy from work with the Master Series Corsair.
Beautiful flights, mayan! I was impressed with your invert with the EAF Edge, then you did it with the darn Master Series Corsair! Hugely impressed, my friend. Well done! :D

mayan

Legendary member
@mayan - that edge can fly so slow it might need to feature on sundown57's slowest plane thread - really impressive, and the Corsair looks gorgeous as always!
Thanks buddy. The Edge was really handing in the wind on throttle management was amazing. The thing that amazed me the most and that you don’t see on video is the amount of times that I just picked it up after a crash and tossed it back in the air. This short video that you saw is actually a combination of of 7-8 videos that led to a crash.

Vimana89

Legendary member
@mayan - your flying is great to watch - the next thing I want to try is a roll! :D
Haven't rolled a plane yet? I began flying with a lot of RET planes as opposed to ailerons and elevons, so it was a while before I did my first roll as well, not too long ago. I've been rolling all of my planes that are capable since and seeing how each one responds. The main thing is keeping visual orientation and keeping the roll steady. Basically the most crucial part is the orientation in which your plane exits the roll, where it's headed when the maneuver finishes, whether you've done it clean or botched it and Dutch rolled or something and came out in a nose down trajectory, or perhaps still inverted...as long as you can see your orientation and have enough altitude to recover you will be fine. Most of the planes I've rolled only roll particularly well at full throttle, so unless you've got a really fast plane and/or a lot of spare thrust, I'd recommend being on full throttle.

Last edited:

Vimana89

Legendary member
@bracesport thank you! You seem to be following each and every video. What do you want to see next. What do you want to see me fly? Or maybe you want a more informative video like how to do something?
If you asked me this same question, my response would be(besides wanting to see you perfect the Howard) a delta! Any delta, a big wide one, a slender one, anything in between from simple park flyers to semi-scale models. You have countless options just with a simple KFM or non-airfoil setup of where to mount the prop and all that, you can do a tractor, pusher, prop in slot, high mount pusher, or even tail nacelle like the Polaris. There's tons of plans out there you can base it off old and new. The only things I'd stay away from are compound delta shapes like the Saab Draken, and T-Tail setups like a Gloster Javelin.

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
@mayan - our little team from the Spit build gives me much joy and inspiration I make it my mission to keep track of all the comings and goings - I want to see your success with the Howard!

You nearly got the edge hanging on the prop - it looks like you have it really well set up - watch out @SquirrelTail !

@Vimana89 - I was lucking to fly with some pro's this past weekend and they just give it some aileron and some up elevator - the roll should be easy, but I was not game while flying off of a 50m cliff top!