The Second Part of my Journey - The Diary

mayan

Legendary member
@Vimana89 looked briefly at the pictures you posted looks fairly simple. You say I can make the main fuselage from anything I want even a arrow shaft or CF tube?

Vimana89

Legendary member
@Vimana89 looked briefly at the pictures you posted looks fairly simple. You say I can make the main fuselage from anything I want even a arrow shaft or CF tube?
Absolutely! There's no official fuselage until the plans, and even if there were, I encourage people to customize small details like that the way they like it.

Last edited:

mayan

Legendary member
They are listed on the thread, I'll see which post and let you know or find pics of the sketches. Actually still got photos here they are! Can't read something or have questions just ask. The only thing that needs changing is the flat part at the very front of the wing. I had mine at 5" just to be safe but @Grifflyer narrowed his down to I think just 2 or 2.5"
Buddy I didn't get a chance to start building your Arrowhead last night as planed because I wanted to finish up my new A/F Easy Edge. I am at work right now and don't feel like going t get some FB ATM, but I do have my wife's laptop with me so I went over the pictures that you sent and tried turning them into basic plans which I have uploaded to this post. Please go over them and check that they seem right if so I'll start building.

Attachments

• Arrowhead.pdf
    49.5 KB · Views: 0

Vimana89

Legendary member
Buddy I didn't get a chance to start building your Arrowhead last night as planed because I wanted to finish up my new A/F Easy Edge. I am at work right now and don't feel like going t get some FB ATM, but I do have my wife's laptop with me so I went over the pictures that you sent and tried turning them into basic plans which I have uploaded to this post. Please go over them and check that they seem right if so I'll start building.
Looks perfect! And no problem, build at you own pace!

Vimana89

Legendary member
As far as motors, I'm using an 1806 and @Grifflyer is using a 2205, so either the A or F pack will work. 850 mAh is just right as far as batteries. I don't know what kind of props you got, but 5x3x3 are working well on my 1806, and I have used 6x3x2 as well with no problems.

mayan

Legendary member
I haven't update this thread in a while now and it's not because I am dead or not doing any RC stuff it's just that I am busy posting stuff on other threads. Any how this thread needs an update so here it is, hmmm where do we start... Ohhh and sorry in advance for the long post :).

Ok so first thing that needs updating is that I am having issues with the DGA-6 model. It has a crazy up pitch (vertical climb at full throttle), which I have been trying to solve through this thread: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/cg-got-me-puzzled.60725/. I do think that I am on the right path and very close to finding the solution to the problem, but still put that project a side for a bit, because I kinda feel like it's a bit trying and that I needed a bit of a break to build/fly other stuff. I haven't ditched the project and will probably get back to it very soon, need to re-build a few things after my last crash.

IMG_4493.JPG IMG_4494.JPG IMG_4495.JPG IMG_4498.JPG

Meanwhile I have been flying some stuff like @Headbang 's Easy Edge, the FT Spitfire, and the FT Corsair. Flying the Easy Edge on almost every outing made me fall in love with the model even more than what I was in love with it before, when @buzzbomb brought up the idea and @Headbang ran with it. I have already built, flew, crashed, repaired and totaled 2 such birds, and built a third one.

IMG_4500.jpeg

Having learned from previous times I added some extra re-enforcements, which in time have proven their added value.

IMG_4451.JPG IMG_4452.JPG

This one also had a few crashes and repairs but is still in flying conditions.

IMG_4505.JPG IMG_4507.JPG IMG_4517.JPG IMG_4536.JPG IMG_4537.JPG IMG-4566.JPG
Regardless of the practice I try to get at flying 3D with the Easy Edge, I have also been enjoying the Spitfire a lot lately. Having done a lot of practice with my SpiTTT (the TT mod) I also find it very easy to handle. I like pracating inverted flying with it because it handles it just great, so doing a lot of general practice with that model too. So flight videos of me recent flying with these models can be found here.

Easy Edge
Battery failures suck and the worse thing about them is ain’t nothing you can do to prevent the crash :(. Did the plane survive though?

Here is a video of my previous outing with mine. It has been heavily repaired but still flies OK for the time being :).

@Headbang, @SquirrelTail what you both think? Any tips?

Spitfire
Not something all that special but here is a video of my previous outing with my FT Spitfire. I really am enjoying this model and having flown the SpiTTT mod of the Tiny Trainer flying this is piece of cake. Enjoy!

Also after waiting to met up with @Eddo radush for maybe a bit too long to go fly together plus get the 8x6 props he bought me, I just couldn't wait anymore and ordered some from aliexpress. These are the props that I use to fly my KFM Wing, which I also enjoyed very much until I broke my last prop. Anyhow recently they arrived so a few days ago I put the motor back on it, and took it out for a first maiden after a major wing repair that the plane had, not knowing if it will fly at all, let alone as good as it did before the repair. Well let me tell you that it didn't fly at all, it kept flipping inverted on me. I kept trying until the motor firewall broke off, and some damage was done to the trailing edge of the wing. No worries I'll make the repairs tonight so I can try again tomorrow.

IMG-4565.JPG IMG-4564.JPG IMG-4563.JPG
Yesterday I finished bringing back something that to some might have been forgotten but not to me. What is it? Check it out.

IMG-4560.JPG

IMG-4561.JPG

If you don't know what this model is well it's my all time favorite the famous Tiny Trainer. I gave it a paint job based on my son's requested and built it for a couple of reasons, first is so that I can go back to training my son, second inspired by this

I decided I want to do some streamer releases to try and mimic that beautiful streamer flag, thus the plane is equipped with a drop mechanism.
IMG-4562.JPG

I also decided to build @Vimana89 's Arrowhead to learn to fly some delta based models so that is next on my build list but before I start that I have a long lasting project to finish. Most of you might not remember but a long time ago I started a group build with @CarolineTyler both of us set to build the X-29 under this build thread: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/x-29-build-swept-forward-in-the-fun.59330/. @CarolineTyler finished hers and maidened it doing a great job and I put it aside for a bit working on other projects until today. @CarolineTyler look at what arrived today in the mail.

IMG-4559.JPG IMG-4558.JPG
So that's it I have no more excuses and have to finish the build soon. That's it folks I think that kinda summed up my latest RC activity, again sorry for the long post. More as it comes :).

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
I haven't update this thread in a while now and it's not because I am dead or not doing any RC stuff it's just that I am busy posting stuff on other threads. Any how this thread needs an update so here it is, hmmm where do we start... Ohhh and sorry in advance for the long post :).

Ok so first thing that needs updating is that I am having issues with the DGA-6 model. It has a crazy up pitch (vertical climb at full throttle), which I have been trying to solve through this thread: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/cg-got-me-puzzled.60725/. I do think that I am on the right path and very close to finding the solution to the problem, but still put that project a side for a bit, because I kinda feel like it's a bit trying and that I needed a bit of a break to build/fly other stuff. I haven't ditched the project and will probably get back to it very soon, need to re-build a few things after my last crash.

Meanwhile I have been flying some stuff like @Headbang 's Easy Edge, the FT Spitfire, and the FT Corsair. Flying the Easy Edge on almost every outing made me fall in love with the model even more than what I was in love with it before, when @buzzbomb brought up the idea and @Headbang ran with it. I have already built, flew, crashed, repaired and totaled 2 such birds, and built a third one.

Having learned from previous times I added some extra re-enforcements, which in time have proven their added value.

This one also had a few crashes and repairs but is still in flying conditions.

Regardless of the practice I try to get at flying 3D with the Easy Edge, I have also been enjoying the Spitfire a lot lately. Having done a lot of practice with my SpiTTT (the TT mod) I also find it very easy to handle. I like pracating inverted flying with it because it handles it just great, so doing a lot of general practice with that model too. So flight videos of me recent flying with these models can be found here.

Easy Edge

Spitfire

Also after waiting to met up with @Eddo radush for maybe a bit too long to go fly together plus get the 8x6 props he bought me, I just couldn't wait anymore and ordered some from aliexpress. These are the props that I use to fly my KFM Wing, which I also enjoyed very much until I broke my last prop. Anyhow recently they arrived so a few days ago I put the motor back on it, and took it out for a first maiden after a major wing repair that the plane had, not knowing if it will fly at all, let alone as good as it did before the repair. Well let me tell you that it didn't fly at all, it kept flipping inverted on me. I kept trying until the motor firewall broke off, and some damage was done to the trailing edge of the wing. No worries I'll make the repairs tonight so I can try again tomorrow.

Yesterday I finished bringing back something that to some might have been forgotten but not to me. What is it? Check it out.

If you don't know what this model is well it's my all time favorite the famous Tiny Trainer. I gave it a paint job based on my son's requested and built it for a couple of reasons, first is so that I can go back to training my son, second inspired by this

I decided I want to do some streamer releases to try and mimic that beautiful streamer flag, thus the plane is equipped with a drop mechanism.

I also decided to build @Vimana89 's Arrowhead to learn to fly some delta based models so that is next on my build list but before I start that I have a long lasting project to finish. Most of you might not remember but a long time ago I started a group build with @CarolineTyler both of us set to build the X-29 under this build thread: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/x-29-build-swept-forward-in-the-fun.59330/. @CarolineTyler finished hers and maidened it doing a great job and I put it aside for a bit working on other projects until today. @CarolineTyler look at what arrived today in the mail.

So that's it I have no more excuses and have to finish the build soon. That's it folks I think that kinda summed up my latest RC activity, again sorry for the long post. More as it comes :).
Ohhhh yes!!!! EDF sweetness ahead. You absolutely must have someone else launch it for you, it's just too big to do yourself and hope to maintain control.
I wish we had better weather as I'm itching to fly the x-29 again, it's such a rush!!

Vimana89

Legendary member
Was wondering about your progress on that x-29, that will be nice to see. That will be a different experience for you for sure, I know it would be to me, as I haven't flown forward swept or anything EDF yet, not to mention anything that large. It's big, it's fast, it's ambitious...and I can't wait to see you fly it! The arrowhead will definitely be unique, but on the other hand, simple. Simple hand launch and belly land with that one. I'm about to take it out right now with that 4 blade prop and get stupid with that spare thrust, makes for super easy axial rolls while going straight vertical:D

bracesport

Legendary member
@mayan - WOW and WOW - you are still on fire!

for the Howard, maybe you can consider some elevator compensation with throttle (a mix that gives some down elevator progressively) and possibly a slightly wider wing for some more carrying power? I love your edge, did you get to do a prop hang yet (maybe I have missed that)? The Tiny trainer is an all-round favourite, so I am looking forward to the streamer drop!

Phil

mayan

Legendary member
Was wondering about your progress on that x-29, that will be nice to see. That will be a different experience for you for sure, I know it would be to me, as I haven't flown forward swept or anything EDF yet, not to mention anything that large. It's big, it's fast, it's ambitious...and I can't wait to see you fly it! The arrowhead will definitely be unique, but on the other hand, simple. Simple hand launch and belly land with that one. I'm about to take it out right now with that 4 blade prop and get stupid with that spare thrust, makes for super easy axial rolls while going straight vertical:D
I think I am going to total the X-29 on its maiden flight just a feeling that what is going to go down, but hey I’ll try and have a laugh if I do and be shocked if I don’t. I think I am going to use a nube tube for the fuselage on the arrowhead because I can’t afford spending any more on anything RC related for a while.

@mayan - WOW and WOW - you are still on fire!

for the Howard, maybe you can consider some elevator compensation with throttle (a mix that gives some down elevator progressively) and possibly a slightly wider wing for some more carrying power? I love your edge, did you get to do a prop hang yet (maybe I have missed that)? The Tiny trainer is an all-round favourite, so I am looking forward to the streamer drop!

Phil
I’ll check how to do the throttle/elevator mix it’ll surely solve the problem but won’t make it as accessible to everyone.

Vimana89

Legendary member
I think I am going to total the X-29 on its maiden flight just a feeling that what is going to go down, but hey I’ll try and have a laugh if I do and be shocked if I don’t. I think I am going to use a nube tube for the fuselage on the arrowhead because I can’t afford spending any more on anything RC related for a while.

I’ll check how to do the throttle/elevator mix it’ll surely solve the problem but won’t make it as accessible to everyone.
The x-29 is a high workload and a high risk to maiden/get past the learning curve. Makes it extra worth it if you nail the maiden and come home with a whole- a:censored::censored: plane though! Nube tube will work as well as anything on the Arrowhead. I can just never make a neat, straight A or B fold that looooong though, so I usually end up making kind of a modified nube tube myself. Do what works for you👍

Last edited:

Wildthing

Legendary member

When you go to launch the X29 go full throttle and don't throw it up at a steep angle, you want to do it fairly level or it will stall on you.

For you other guy you said it zooms up just under full throttle, did you angle the motor down at all? If not I would go 4 or 5 degrees down and try it again.

mayan

Legendary member
When you go to launch the X29 go full throttle and don't throw it up at a steep angle, you want to do it fairly level or it will stall on you.

For you other guy you said it zooms up just under full throttle, did you angle the motor down at all? If not I would go 4 or 5 degrees down and try it again.
Yep I did that on my last test when I added 0.5mm positive wing incidence and some down thrust using a 0.25 washer. But still what strikes me odd is that the second version I built flew with a wing incidence or down thrust.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Yep I did that on my last test when I added 0.5mm positive wing incidence and some down thrust using a 0.25 washer. But still what strikes me odd is that the second version I built flew with a wing incidence or down thrust.

Adding a positive wing incidence would make it lift even more. Adding the PWI probably negated the change in your motor angle you added.