The "Simple Stick" - builders thread and plans

ColoFlyer

The firewall on my power pod is, in fact, the one you included above.
You should print the firewall in my set of files and check to make sure it is the same as you have already. I believe I made some modifications to the firewall for a better fit for the turtle deck. If your firewall doesn't fit on the pins correctly, just make another powerpod and use my firewall to see if that helps.

dlabrie

You should print the firewall in my set of files and check to make sure it is the same as you have already. I believe I made some modifications to the firewall for a better fit for the turtle deck. If your firewall doesn't fit on the pins correctly, just make another powerpod and use my firewall to see if that helps.
It is the same. I just had to drill out the holes a bit to accommodate the pins. I went to download Fusion 360 and found they don't have it for Linux :(. That turtle deck is a thing of beauty! Seeing it has air vents, I put an exhaust vent on the back of the plane.

Attachments

• DL turtle deck.jpg
    DL turtle deck.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • exaust.jpg
    exaust.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0

ColoFlyer

It is the same. I just had to drill out the holes a bit to accommodate the pins. I went to download Fusion 360 and found they don't have it for Linux :(. That turtle deck is a thing of beauty! Seeing it has air vents, I put an exhaust vent on the back of the plane.
That is to bad about Linux not running fusion. But on the upside I am really glad to see that the parts for the Turtle Deck fit. It Looks great, and makes it easy to access the battery compartment. Now all you have to do is see if that thing will fly.

dlabrie

That is to bad about Linux not running fusion. But on the upside I am really glad to see that the parts for the Turtle Deck fit. It Looks great, and makes it easy to access the battery compartment. Now all you have to do is see if that thing will fly.
Well I got the cg right on the spot noted in the plans, which is right under the first forward fold in the wing. I flew and nose darted it twice after struggling to keep it level. Is this the cg everyone is using?

ColoFlyer

Well I got the cg right on the spot noted in the plans, which is right under the first forward fold in the wing. I flew and nose darted it twice after struggling to keep it level. Is this the cg everyone is using?
The CG doesn't change, that is the correct location on the plans.
I don't know how long you have been into RC, so I apologize if you already know to check these following things.
Are you using a flight stabilizer that might not be setup correctly. Does it nose straight forward and in (which would be odd), or does it go up and spin to the left or right before nosing in. Check the angle of your motor mount, does it have a slight angle to the right like 3 degrees, like the power pod I uploaded. If the power pod faces straight out you might be having a torque roll issue. Make sure your prop is spinning CC when looking at the plane from the front.
Check to make sure the elevator is lined up with the horizonal stabilizer, and ailerons are lined up with the wing. Maybe set it up to give a small amount of up elevator to start with.
Maybe some of the other folks will have some other possible ideas.
This plane fly's really really well, so once you find your problem, you will be very happy, don't give up.

dlabrie

The CG doesn't change, that is the correct location on the plans.
I don't know how long you have been into RC, so I apologize if you already know to check these following things.
Are you using a flight stabilizer that might not be setup correctly. Does it nose straight forward and in (which would be odd), or does it go up and spin to the left or right before nosing in. Check the angle of your motor mount, does it have a slight angle to the right like 3 degrees, like the power pod I uploaded. If the power pod faces straight out you might be having a torque roll issue. Make sure your prop is spinning CC when looking at the plane from the front.
Check to make sure the elevator is lined up with the horizonal stabilizer, and ailerons are lined up with the wing. Maybe set it up to give a small amount of up elevator to start with.
Maybe some of the other folks will have some other possible ideas.
This plane fly's really really well, so once you find your problem, you will be very happy, don't give up.
Thanks for the response. No flight stabilizer, I have been trying to learn more about them, but that is for another thread :) I have been scratch building foamies for a long time: Blue Babies, FT Storch, Piranha, etc. Before electric got popular, I built balsa kit planes with gas engines. My flying skills are a little rusty. I just measured the CG mark and it is 1.75" from the leading edge. All of my control surfaces are lined up. The first flight was with a no-angle 3d printed motor mount with some washers to give it down and right thrust. With that flight It was acting tail heavy and I had to give it a lot of down trim. I ended up nosing it in, mostly due to pilot error trying to keep it stable. I took it home, rebuilt the front end, made a new power pod and used your firewall with the right thrust built in. It didn't have any down thrust so I added a washer to give it a little. Again it flew fast and tail heavy; porpoising . I was having a hard time controlling it and I nosed it in again.

My power plant is a Sunnysky x2212-13 KV980 with a 20 amp esc and a 10x4.7 prop. I have 30% expo on the aileron, ele and rud at high rate and medium rate, 40% expo on low rate. 60% dif on the Ailerons.

I have cut out a new fuselage with a 2" extension, but I am thinking of re doing it with a 2.75" extension.

I will take any and all suggestions. I'd like to get it to fly level and maybe a bit slower with smoother reactions to inputs.
Thanks.

The Fopster

Master member
Thanks for the response. No flight stabilizer, I have been trying to learn more about them, but that is for another thread :) I have been scratch building foamies for a long time: Blue Babies, FT Storch, Piranha, etc. Before electric got popular, I built balsa kit planes with gas engines. My flying skills are a little rusty. I just measured the CG mark and it is 1.75" from the leading edge. All of my control surfaces are lined up. The first flight was with a no-angle 3d printed motor mount with some washers to give it down and right thrust. With that flight It was acting tail heavy and I had to give it a lot of down trim. I ended up nosing it in, mostly due to pilot error trying to keep it stable. I took it home, rebuilt the front end, made a new power pod and used your firewall with the right thrust built in. It didn't have any down thrust so I added a washer to give it a little. Again it flew fast and tail heavy; porpoising . I was having a hard time controlling it and I nosed it in again.

My power plant is a Sunnysky x2212-13 KV980 with a 20 amp esc and a 10x4.7 prop. I have 30% expo on the aileron, ele and rud at high rate and medium rate, 40% expo on low rate. 60% dif on the Ailerons.

I have cut out a new fuselage with a 2" extension, but I am thinking of re doing it with a 2.75" extension.

I will take any and all suggestions. I'd like to get it to fly level and maybe a bit slower with smoother reactions to inputs.
Thanks.
I’d try reducing your control throws.

dap35

Elite member
I second reducing your throws. After taking advice to do that, the simple stick became my favorite plane.

The Fopster

Master member
Thanks. I have had a couple of planes that I loved to fly and am hoping this will be the next one.
Are there any parameters on throw distances? I know mine are pretty big.
I’d try setting a rate switch with throws at 50%, 75% and 100% and see how you get on. A movement of thirty degrees maximum usually works for me until I get to know a model.

wellyflyer

Plans HERE!

So last year about this time I decided to build my first 4 channel plane, the Simple Scout, after finally getting the hang of flying on my Old Speedster. I painted it up to look like a Hangar 9 Ultra Stick and I flew that thing a ton. It suffered a lot of crashes as I was still learning to fly, but it held up for many months and really helped me get confident in my flying skills. A couple months ago I retired it since it was having a weird servo glitch, and it was really old, warped, and beat up. She now is proudly on display on the wall of my workshop. :) Anyways, that was one of my favorite planes for a long time and I missed having one in my hangar, so after I retired it, I decided to build another, but this time modify the wing and make a custom fuselage and tail to make it look like the real ultra stick. Well I started that project but after a while it got pushed to the side and other projects took over my workbench. But this month, thanks to the build-ruary challenge by @FoamyDM , I got the inspiration to finish this bird up! The last couple days I have spent several hours finishing up the build and painting this bird, and today I was lucky enough to be able to maiden it! I know often this about most planes, but this Simple Stick is the best flying plane I have ever flown! I wasn't the only one who thought that either - I let several of my flying buddies fly it and they were blown away by it's stability, speed envelope, and handling. I really hope some of you community members build it and are able to enjoy it as much as me and my buddies did! It slowed down to a walking pace and you still had good control. It doesn't have any bad flight characteristics and has very gentle stalls. If you cut the throttle and give full back elevator, it won't stall and will just glide down, but if you point the nose up and cut the throttle, it stalls gently and you are able to regain control fairly quickly. Also, it flies inverted very well. I wasn't planning on making plans for it but after me and my buddies had run a couple packs through it, we were convinced I should make plans as it flew so well it would be a pity if I couldn't share it with others!

Here's the setup I was running with for the maiden:
Power pack B motor
30 amp esc
8x8 APC thin electric prop
1000mah - 1500mah 3s lipo

With the B pack it definitely wasn't overpowered and didn't quite have unlimited vertical, but it was a very relaxing and scale experience, and there was enough power to do basic aerobatics like loops, rolls, and hammerheads. I plan on testing it out with the C pack and 3s and 4s lipo to see how the experience changes with the different power plants. If you're a beginner pilot, the B pack will be plenty, and if you are just looking for an sunday afternoon cruiser, you can't ask for anything better. (I'll edit this post later on describing the flight characteristics with the larger motors and batteries.) I definitely recommend this plane for beginners as it can fly very slowly, and also, I would recommend it to advanced pilots as well especially with a larger motor as it can cruise along nicely and do basic aerobatics. It's a great plane to try new things on as it's a super quick and simple design, and a durable construction.
Here’s the maiden flight footage:
And here are some pictures of mine:
View attachment 159573 View attachment 159574 View attachment 159575 View attachment 159576 View attachment 159577 View attachment 159578 View attachment 159579 View attachment 159580 View attachment 159581 View attachment 159582
I have just come across your Simple Stick 3 years after your post. I have downloaded the plans but don't have a clue about the build process.
I have looked everywhere for a build thread without finding one. Maybe Ijust don't know my way around the site. I have many questions regarding the build like how does the spar fit & what determines the folds on the LE of the wing. Without a build thread I will probably just go away & cry & look elsewhere for another project. Can you help please?

scottyorr

I have just come across your Simple Stick 3 years after your post. I have downloaded the plans but don't have a clue about the build process.
I have looked everywhere for a build thread without finding one. Maybe Ijust don't know my way around the site. I have many questions regarding the build like how does the spar fit & what determines the folds on the LE of the wing. Without a build thread I will probably just go away & cry & look elsewhere for another project. Can you help please?
Here's a video:

dlabrie

Hangar's SS # 3 is now complete. On on HSS #2, I moved the cg back to the 2nd spar and reduced the throws and it made a world of difference. After beating it up a bit, I thought I'd start on #3. I couldn't remember how I put the wing together, so I followed the FT video. I was really pleased with how it came out, until I realized I had made a symmetrical wing! So, I set it aside and made a flat bottomed wing until I could figure out how to mount the symmetrical wing to the HSS. Here are some picts of HSS #3 and of the symmetrical wing.

Attachments

• PXL_20231122_161608752.jpg
    PXL_20231122_161608752.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231122_161531735.jpg
    PXL_20231122_161531735.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231122_161430560.jpg
    PXL_20231122_161430560.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231122_161312596.jpg
    PXL_20231122_161312596.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231122_161301194.jpg
    PXL_20231122_161301194.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231116_230409589.jpg
    PXL_20231116_230409589.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

ColoFlyer

I couldn't remember how I put the wing together, so I followed the FT video. I was really pleased with how it came out, until I realized I had made a symmetrical wing! So, I set it aside and made a flat bottomed wing until I could figure out how to mount the symmetrical wing to the HSS. Here are some picts of HSS #3 and of the symmetrical wing.
I actually did the same thing and made the wing symmetrical following the FT Video. All I did was to round out the area on the fuselage where the wing fits, to match the bottom contour of the symmetrical wing. It actually fits great and, I believe, improves the flight.
Maybe you could build another fuselage and try fitting the symmetrical wing to that. You could use the same Power Pod, and It would also give you 2 planes to fly. Maybe do a comparison of how they fly. :)

dlabrie

I actually did the same thing and made the wing symmetrical following the FT Video. All I did was to round out the area on the fuselage where the wing fits, to match the bottom contour of the symmetrical wing. It actually fits great and, I believe, improves the flight.
Maybe you could build another fuselage and try fitting the symmetrical wing to that. You could use the same Power Pod, and It would also give you 2 planes to fly. Maybe do a comparison of how they fly. :)
I printed out the area of the FT SS fuselage where the wing attaches to get the angle of the cradle. I just wasn't sure how to figure out the attitude of the wing. Would the center line of the wing be on the same plane as the horizontal stabilizer?

ColoFlyer

Would the center line of the wing be on the same plane as the horizontal stabilizer?
Not to sure on this. All I did with my Hanger SS is shape the of the area on the fuselage where the wing fits to the same contour shape as the symmetrical wing. Didn't really have to carve out much to make the wing fit perfectly.

Attachments

• Stick.jpg
    Stick.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Stick2.jpg
    Stick2.jpg
    793.7 KB · Views: 0