The "Simple Stick" - builders thread and plans

mbrownkcmo

Uh, page 1 post 1 of this thread. Upper left corner....

Or you can become an FTCA member and download them from the FTCA site.
Nothing against The Hanger, but I wanted to try the FT version with the symmetrical airfoil.
After becoming a member, I did find it; it looked like just 6 planes were available, but now I see I can purchase them for $0.00.
Appreciate the help, it is really difficult to find what I need on this site, even after building 10+ FT planes 🙃

Gilwo

I am also looking for the FT Simple Stick plans, could you please post a link? I've scoured every list and all I can find is the YouTube video.

mbrownkcmo

The process is a little complicated.
Go to the FTCA web page, create an account (free). As soon as you do that, you are entitled to download the FT Simple Stick plans.
I've built 2 FT Simple Sticks from FT kits and then about 4 more partial or complete to repair or replace crashes and mid-air meets.

My printer will only do 8 1/2 x 11 pages so it takes about 24 pages printed out and then carefully Scotch taped together to make three full size sheets which correspond to foam core board purchased at Dollar Tree or Dollar Store or whatever they call it in your area.

I still fire up the FT Simple Stick build video by Josh Bixler available free on You Tube when I am building new parts because it is too much for my tiny brain to remember accurately all the clever little ways the parts are assembled.

A folds, B folds, C folds, cutting first layer of paper and most of the foam but not the second layer. Holding a sharp knife just so and cutting at a 45 degree angle to make a good hinge, hot glue temperature. It goes on and on.

The plane flies beautifully when you get everything pretty good. Perfection is the goal but is seldom achieved. Flies great anyway.

mbrownkcmo

mbrownkcmo

The process is a little complicated.
Go to the FTCA web page, create an account (free). As soon as you do that, you are entitled to download the FT Simple Stick plans.
I've built 2 FT Simple Sticks from FT kits and then about 4 more partial or complete to repair or replace crashes and mid-air meets.

My printer will only do 8 1/2 x 11 pages so it takes about 24 pages printed out and then carefully Scotch taped together to make three full size sheets which correspond to foam core board purchased at Dollar Tree or Dollar Store or whatever they call it in your area.

I still fire up the FT Simple Stick build video by Josh Bixler available free on You Tube when I am building new parts because it is too much for my tiny brain to remember accurately all the clever little ways the parts are assembled.

A folds, B folds, C folds, cutting first layer of paper and most of the foam but not the second layer. Holding a sharp knife just so and cutting at a 45 degree angle to make a good hinge, hot glue temperature. It goes on and on.

The plane flies beautifully when you get everything pretty good. Perfection is the goal but is seldom achieved. Flies great anyway.
Thanks for your answer! I think this might be my 15th foamboard plane, so I am pretty caught up on most tricks, although it did come to me one step at a time.
Well - I love this plane. I powered it with a 4S 1300mah and 2212 1250kv Gforce. I used kind of a large prop, 9x5 GWS, but after 5 min flying I still have 40-50% battery and motor is warm, but not hot. Used budget Emax digital servos and the thing flies like it's on rails and goes upstairs like a bad out of hell.
Message_1686616208783.jpg
20230606_195807.jpg

RossFPV

Thanks for your answer! I think this might be my 15th foamboard plane, so I am pretty caught up on most tricks, although it did come to me one step at a time.
Well - I love this plane. I powered it with a 4S 1300mah and 2212 1250kv Gforce. I used kind of a large prop, 9x5 GWS, but after 5 min flying I still have 40-50% battery and motor is warm, but not hot. Used budget Emax digital servos and the thing flies like it's on rails and goes upstairs like a bad out of hell. View attachment 238258 View attachment 238257
Looks incredible!

dlabrie

I am finishing up my first build of Hangar's Simple stick and am having a terrible time getting the CG right, it is quite back heavy. To get it to balance, I had to replace the wheels with some heavy, old, rubber wheels, put a 3s 2200 battery all the way forward in the pod, replace the 20A ESC with a 40 amp ( on top of the battery(, and slide the pod out 1.5 inches. Am I missing something here?
Thanks.

Attachments

• ss1bal.jpg
    ss1bal.jpg
    961.8 KB · Views: 0
  • ss2bal.jpg
    ss2bal.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Arcfyre

Elite member
Not sure why it came out so tail heavy. Did you use the right foam?

You may have better luck just sliding the wing back an inch or so. Take the wing holding skewers out and move them both back an inch and try again.
I am finishing up my first build of Hangar's Simple stick and am having a terrible time getting the CG right, it is quite back heavy. To get it to balance, I had to replace the wheels with some heavy, old, rubber wheels, put a 3s 2200 battery all the way forward in the pod, replace the 20A ESC with a 40 amp ( on top of the battery(, and slide the pod out 1.5 inches. Am I missing something here?
Thanks.

dlabrie

Not sure why it came out so tail heavy. Did you use the right foam?

You may have better luck just sliding the wing back an inch or so. Take the wing holding skewers out and move them both back an inch and try again.
I used Readi-Board from The Dollar Store. I'll try moving the wing back. Thanks.

ColoFlyer

Thanks.
You are not missing anything, I had the same exact problem when I built my Hanger Simple Stick. Since I didn't want to just add extra weight to the nose that didn't make any sense to me, I ended up extending the nose in order to move the battery forward. I have since built another Hanger Simple Stick and extended the nose when I cut it out, and it fly's awesome.
Anyway, here is the thread on what I did to fix the problem. maybe it will help.

Also, FYI, When I built the FT Simple Stick, I went ahead and extended the nose like 50mm during the cut out process, and I believe it has helped with getting the CG to balance more efficiently as well. Both planes fly amazingly well.

dap35

Elite member
You are not missing anything, I had the same exact problem when I built my Hanger Simple Stick. Since I didn't want to just add extra weight to the nose that didn't make any sense to me, I ended up extending the nose in order to move the battery forward. I have since built another Hanger Simple Stick and extended the nose when I cut it out, and it fly's awesome.
Anyway, here is the thread on what I did to fix the problem. maybe it will help.

Also, FYI, When I built the FT Simple Stick, I went ahead and extended the nose like 50mm during the cut out process, and I believe it has helped with getting the CG to balance more efficiently as well. Both planes fly amazingly well.
I did the same with the FT Simple Stick - I used Ross FB and put the servos further aft. I also extended the nose ~2". It has flown great for the last two years.

dlabrie

This looks like the answer. I might just start from scratch, this plane is getting beat up just trying to get the CG right :) Do you have a link for the STL files mentioned in link to your build ...
-FT Style Motor Mount on the power pod
-Back wing reinforcement
-Double Servo Tray just behind the power pod
-2 Piece Front Battery Cover (designed in 2 pieces for easy printing
-Control Horns
-Tail Drag

Thanks

ColoFlyer

This looks like the answer. I might just start from scratch, this plane is getting beat up just trying to get the CG right :) Do you have a link for the STL files mentioned in link to your build ...
-FT Style Motor Mount on the power pod
-Back wing reinforcement
-Double Servo Tray just behind the power pod
-2 Piece Front Battery Cover (designed in 2 pieces for easy printing
-Control Horns
-Tail Drag

Thanks
Let me take a look tomorrow. I believe I might still have them.

dlabrie

Those of you who have extended the nose 2 inches, how did you go about it? The fuselage takes up the entire length
of a piece of Readi-Board.

ColoFlyer

Those of you who have extended the nose 2 inches, how did you go about it? The fuselage takes up the entire length
of a piece of Readi-Board.
You can try fitting it diagonally corner to corner to see if it fits with the extention.
If this doesn't work it can also be done as I described in the post I referenced above. Here are some pics below. Cut the extention to the correct size, then use a short skewer on each side and one on the bottom pushed into the foamboard. Add hot glue when inserting them then hot glue on the extention. After that you can cut your B fold track into the extention. if you add the extention carefully, you won't hardly notice it.
I hope that makes sense.
Like this.

Attachments

• hangerstick.jpg
    hangerstick.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230826_124305.jpg
    20230826_124305.jpg
    492.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230826_124339.jpg
    20230826_124339.jpg
    464.8 KB · Views: 0