The "Simple Stick" - builders thread and plans

dlabrie

You can try fitting it diagonally corner to corner to see if it fits with the extention.
If this doesn't work it can also be done as I described in the post I referenced above. Here are some pics below. Cut the extention to the correct size, then use a short skewer on each side and one on the bottom pushed into the foamboard. Add hot glue when inserting them then hot glue on the extention. After that you can cut your B fold track into the extention. if you add the extention carefully, you won't hardly notice it.
I hope that makes sense.
Like this.
I will try the extension with the skewers on the next build, thanks. I ended up cutting a 2 inch extension and ran 2- 5" skewers from my LG plate to the nose and sandwiched them with a 2X5" piece of foam and hot glue. Then added some tape to reinforce it all. This plane looks like I've been flying it for years and it hasn't even left the hangar 😆

Can you tell me the KV on the Motor Race Star BR2212 that you use?

Attachments

• ss3.jpg
    ss3.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • ss4.jpg
    ss4.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

ColoFlyer

I will try the extension with the skewers on the next build, thanks. I ended up cutting a 2 inch extension and ran 2- 5" skewers from my LG plate to the nose and sandwiched them with a 2X5" piece of foam and hot glue. Then added some tape to reinforce it all. This plane looks like I've been flying it for years and it hasn't even left the hangar 😆

The one I am using is 1400kv. with a 9047 Prop.

ColoFlyer

Did you leave the slot open for the power pod to slide it? Looks like in the picture that there is foam board there.
But, it Looks great, I am sure it will work out better on the CG, you will be able to move the battery forward.
Did you still want the STLs for the 3d Printed parts?

dlabrie

Did you leave the slot open for the power pod to slide it? Looks like in the picture that there is foam board there.
But, it Looks great, I am sure it will work out better on the CG, you will be able to move the battery forward.
Did you still want the STLs for the 3d Printed parts?
Yes, the Power pod slides in. I would love to have the STL files for the printed parts. Thanks.

ColoFlyer

Yes, the Power pod slides in. I would love to have the STL files for the printed parts. Thanks.
Ok. Let me see if I can modify the Turtle Deck Parts for a 2" extension since they were originally made for a 2.75" extension. Should be pretty easy and I will send them up tomorrow, then you can let me know if they fit.

Well here is my completed Simple Ultra Stick (except for the missing white monokote on the wing - ran out!)
FB Simple Ultra Stick.JPG

AUW is 34.5 oz
I am running a recycled eflite motor and ESC from a Conscendo EVO. 3S-2200 battery. 11x6 prop. 300W and 28A. Should be a fun plane.
I was able to get it to balance at the recommended CofG without any added weight, but I think my chosen motor is heavier and the landing gear wire is 5/32" (stouter than nec.) I am hoping I get some good weather to maiden it this week sometime.

dlabrie

Well here is my completed Simple Ultra Stick (except for the missing white monokote on the wing - ran out!)
View attachment 239762

AUW is 34.5 oz
I am running a recycled eflite motor and ESC from a Conscendo EVO. 3S-2200 battery. 11x6 prop. 300W and 28A. Should be a fun plane.
I was able to get it to balance at the recommended CofG without any added weight, but I think my chosen motor is heavier and the landing gear wire is 5/32" (stouter than nec.) I am hoping I get some good weather to maiden it this week sometime.
Very nice!

ColoFlyer

Great. Thanks
Dlabrie,
These are my 3D Printed Parts for Hanger's Simple Stick WITH AN EXTENDED NOSE. Files for a 2" extension as well as a 2.75" extension are included.

The firewall is not my design, I believe it may be from Sponz, but I have modified it with a 3 degree right thrust angle, which works well for me.

The Turtle Deck comes in 3 pieces, Part 1 hotglues on the nose extension and the firewall on the power pod will slip onto the pins when inserted. Part 3 super glues on the top of part 2 (as shown) then it slips into place under part 1 and using a rubber band to hold in place. (shown in pics)

I like to put my servo tray inside the fuselage so if you decide you want to use the Servo Tray, you should note the position in the included pics. Put small foam board pieces on the sides and place the servo tray on top of them. (shown in pics)

If you want to use the Main Landing gear, use skewers to hold it in place and they will also hold the power pod in. I use a coat hanger and rubber or foam wheels.

I can modify some of these parts if needed, like for different size servos, or nose lengths. Let me know if anything doesn't fit right.

These parts will probably not fit the FT Simple Stick, but could be modified for that purpose.

Attachments

• Hanger Simple Stick_Tail Skid.jpg
    Hanger Simple Stick_Tail Skid.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 0
  • Hanger Simple Stick_Servo Tray.jpg
    Hanger Simple Stick_Servo Tray.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 0
  • Hanger Simple Stick_TurtleDeck .jpg
    Hanger Simple Stick_TurtleDeck .jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Hanger Simple Stick_Main Gear.jpg
    Hanger Simple Stick_Main Gear.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Hanger Simple Stick_FireWall.jpg
    Hanger Simple Stick_FireWall.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 0
  • TurtleDeck Part2&3.jpg
    TurtleDeck Part2&3.jpg
    579 KB · Views: 0
  • TurtleDeck part 1.jpg
    TurtleDeck part 1.jpg
    550.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Hanger Simple Stick_Servo Tray Position.jpg
    Hanger Simple Stick_Servo Tray Position.jpg
    601.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Hanger Simple Stick.jpg
    Hanger Simple Stick.jpg
    8.9 MB · Views: 0
  • Hanger Simple_Stick 3D printed Parts and Pics.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 0

ColoFlyer

View attachment 239762

AUW is 34.5 oz
Sweet.

The Fopster

Master member
I built a stick a while back (not these plans and not the FT ones - they were shared by someone on the forum and I’ve now forgotten who it was, but the wing is symmetrical). Anyway, I love it - it’s my go-to aerobatics practice plane.
Fast forward - I’m planning a more involved and bigger build than my usual one week adventures, but the power system is very unfamiliar to me (big motor and prop, 6s power). So before I go ahead with the complicated build I decided to build a test hack for the power system - and a scaled up stick seemed like the perfect idea!
It will be built with the heavier UK foam board. Span will be 1.6m - should be a two day build (hopefully!).
Photo is the “small” one - 1.1m span off a 3s 1300.
IMG_2672.jpeg

dlabrie

Dlabrie,
These are my 3D Printed Parts for Hanger's Simple Stick WITH AN EXTENDED NOSE. Files for a 2" extension as well as a 2.75" extension are included.

The firewall is not my design, I believe it may be from Sponz, but I have modified it with a 3 degree right thrust angle, which works well for me.

The Turtle Deck comes in 3 pieces, Part 1 hotglues on the nose extension and the firewall on the power pod will slip onto the pins when inserted. Part 3 super glues on the top of part 2 (as shown) then it slips into place under part 1 and using a rubber band to hold in place. (shown in pics)

I like to put my servo tray inside the fuselage so if you decide you want to use the Servo Tray, you should note the position in the included pics. Put small foam board pieces on the sides and place the servo tray on top of them. (shown in pics)

If you want to use the Main Landing gear, use skewers to hold it in place and they will also hold the power pod in. I use a coat hanger and rubber or foam wheels.

I can modify some of these parts if needed, like for different size servos, or nose lengths. Let me know if anything doesn't fit right.

These parts will probably not fit the FT Simple Stick, but could be modified for that purpose.
I see the pictures of your parts, but I can't seem to find the STL files. Are they on Thingiverse?
Thank you so much for making them available! I will use them on Simple Stick- V2 :)

Last edited:

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
I see the pictures of your parts, but I can't seem to find the STL files. Are they on Thingiverse?
Thank you so much for making them available! I will use them on Simple Stick- V2 :)
The print parts are in a .zip file, just before the last image.

ColoFlyer

As Addicted mentioned the STLs and Photos are all in the ZIP file in my post above .
Also, just remember that these are for the Hanger Simple Stick and not for the FT Simple Stick.

dlabrie

As Addicted mentioned the STLs and Photos are all in the ZIP file in my post above .
Also, just remember that these are for the Hanger Simple Stick and not for the FT Simple Stick.
Got it. Thanks, these are going to be great! I had just gotten into printing Eclipson 3d planes but I think I like working with foam better, and the foamies are much more robust in a hard ( or unexpected) landing 😁. The firewall on my power pod is, in fact, the one you included above. I think the mixing of foam and 3d parts is the way to go. Again, thanks for the time and effort you put in to sharing these.

dlabrie

I'm sorry, but I am still having issues with the STL files. When I unzip the file, this is what I get and the first file in the list doesn't do anything.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2023-08-29 08-49-35.png
    Screenshot from 2023-08-29 08-49-35.png
    94.3 KB · Views: 0

ColoFlyer

I'm sorry, but I am still having issues with the STL files. When I unzip the file, this is what I get and the first file in the list doesn't do anything.
The first file inside the ZIP was is another ZIP file with the Stil's you would need to extract it then unzip the "Hanger Simple Stick Stl's".

However, have I changed the the zip file from above so that it has a directory inside that contains the STLs instead of another zip.
Please re-download it from above and give it a try.

If that doesn't work, This should, Here is the file that contains just the STL's. Let me know if this works.

Attachments

• Hanger Simple Stick STLs.zip
    185.1 KB · Views: 0

dlabrie

The first file inside the ZIP was is another ZIP file with the Stil's you would need to extract it then unzip the "Hanger Simple Stick Stl's".

However, have I changed the the zip file from above so that it has a directory inside that contains the STLs instead of another zip.
Please re-download it from above and give it a try.

If that doesn't work, This should, Here is the file that contains just the STL's. Let me know if this works.
I downloaded the one you changed in the group of files above. I had issues extracting the files. I downloaded the single file and was able to extract them. Houston, We have liftoff :)

Attachments

• files.png
    files.png
    105.6 KB · Views: 0

ColoFlyer

I downloaded the one you changed in the group of files above. I had issues extracting the files. I downloaded the single file and was able to extract them. Houston, We have liftoff :)
Excellent. Hope they work out for you. I am assuming you have a 3-D printer, so you may want to consider downloading and installing Fusion 360. It is free for hobbyists and personal use, and there are lots of tutorial's on You tube. Once you learn how to use it you can start creating your own parts and pieces for your planes. Then you start thinking about all the other things that you can create or modify for your home or friends.

dlabrie

Excellent. Hope they work out for you. I am assuming you have a 3-D printer, so you may want to consider downloading and installing Fusion 360. It is free for hobbyists and personal use, and there are lots of tutorial's on You tube. Once you learn how to use it you can start creating your own parts and pieces for your planes. Then you start thinking about all the other things that you can create or modify for your home or friends.
Thanks. I already have the Turtle deck printing. I have built some parts in Tinkercad, but nothing as detailed as what you have done. I will give Fusion 360 a try.