The Spit of All Spits

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
In building the internal structure of this Spit, I have some indications of some changes needed, I will have to watch the build vid again. But I have come across a issue with the servo placement for the tail feathers, as is they are supposed to mount to the spine inside the battery box, behind the battery box, with the servo arms up to meet the holes for the pushrods to pass through the bulkhead into the tail section. If you follow that you are better then I cuz I had to think hard while typing lol. Problem is that if I put them in like that the servo arms would have to be cut in half just to swing in the limited room inside the battery box so they don't hit the walls.

Now the solution could go one of two ways...
1. would be to mount the servos upside down and lower the pass through holes in the bulk head, this way the servo arms would sit in the clearance notch at the rear of the battery box cut out about 2/3rds on the bottom so the arms clear the sides of the box, or...
2. mount the servos in a notch i trim out of the spine 90 degrees on their side so the servo arms are set vertical.

Again i will have to watch the video again. I am just looking at foresight trying to predict possible problems. @herbertjalarcon built the Spit already, maybe he has some insight on this

herbertjalarcon

Elite member
In building the internal structure of this Spit, I have some indications of some changes needed, I will have to watch the build vid again. But I have come across a issue with the servo placement for the tail feathers, as is they are supposed to mount to the spine inside the battery box, behind the battery box, with the servo arms up to meet the holes for the pushrods to pass through the bulkhead into the tail section. If you follow that you are better then I cuz I had to think hard while typing lol. Problem is that if I put them in like that the servo arms would have to be cut in half just to swing in the limited room inside the battery box so they don't hit the walls.

Now the solution could go one of two ways...
1. would be to mount the servos upside down and lower the pass through holes in the bulk head, this way the servo arms would sit in the clearance notch at the rear of the battery box cut out about 2/3rds on the bottom so the arms clear the sides of the box, or...
2. mount the servos in a notch i trim out of the spine 90 degrees on their side so the servo arms are set vertical.

Again i will have to watch the video again. I am just looking at foresight trying to predict possible problems. @herbertjalarcon built the Spit already, maybe he has some insight on this
There was plenty of room in mine...they aren't in the battery box, but behind it...have you built it to that point yet, or just planning ahead?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Just planning ahead, just dry fitting really. As it sits it looks like the big battery box runs the entire chord of the wing and rests up against the rear bulkhead just over the TE, correct

herbertjalarcon

Elite member
Just planning ahead, just dry fitting really. As it sits it looks like the big battery box runs the entire chord of the wing and rests up against the rear bulkhead just over the TE, correct
TE? I just looked. and the large portion of the battery box points down and to the front, and only goes to where the spine ends, about half of the cord...the cut out portion is low enough that it doesn't get in the way when you glue the servos to the spine which you do pretty far back...to me this is the only flaw...once the plane is together, you can't get to the servos, so I suggest using metal geared servos for longevity...I found no changes were needed and she flew near perfect right off the table.

Last edited:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
TE? I just looked. and the large portion of the battery box points down and to the front, and only goes to where the spine ends, about half of the cord...the cut out portion is low enough that it doesn't get in the way when you glue the servos to the spine which you do pretty far back...to me this is the only flaw...once the plane is together, you can't get to the servos, so I suggest using metal geared servos for longevity...I found no changes were needed and she flew near perfect right off the table.
Like i said i will watch the vid again. Thanks for the reply though. I am thinking now that the fuse is a little longer then i thought. Thanx again

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
You could also just mark where your reinforcements are so you could fly as a belly lander when you can't see any grass and then glue on some LG come spring time.
That what i might do anyway. I got the flaps working last night. They should work pretty good. Gonna have to program the travel on them though. Full flaps is almost 80 degrees

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
That what i might do anyway. I got the flaps working last night. They should work pretty good. Gonna have to program the travel on them though. Full flaps is almost 80 degrees
You might want to keep them at around 45 degrees for the time being, because they'll be the first thing hitting the ground and you don't want them to tear themselves apart.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
So tonight I got all the little formers cut out, the F1, 2, and 3. That took some time. Once I scanned back to the video again I figured out where I went wrong with my servo situation, there is a 4" piece of fuse I forgot about so that opened things up some, back to no issue with that. I was trying to figure out how I would get the motor and ESC off the plane once it's built just for the fact that by the time you glue the power pod in its committed to the plane. I glued 3/16 ply to the backside of the F1 former stack to be able to screw an X mount to with a open area in the middle to slide the ESC in and get airflow, should work easy enough. Back at it tomorrow night and I will post pics then

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
So tonight I got all the little formers cut out, the F1, 2, and 3. That took some time. Once I scanned back to the video again I figured out where I went wrong with my servo situation, there is a 4" piece of fuse I forgot about so that opened things up some, back to no issue with that. I was trying to figure out how I would get the motor and ESC off the plane once it's built just for the fact that by the time you glue the power pod in its committed to the plane. I glued 3/16 ply to the backside of the F1 former stack to be able to screw an X mount to with a open area in the middle to slide the ESC in and get airflow, should work easy enough. Back at it tomorrow night and I will post pics then
Those formers are a pain in the butt to cut!

(It rhymes! :D)