Things to drop out of a plane

nlit3n

Now that I have the guinea I cant stop looking for things to drop thing out of it. I ordered 6 dozen parachute men. I am also going to pickup some easter eggs. I was thinking about filling them with flour. Last I was going to build a parachute for my mobius. What else is there? What are some things you have dropped or thinking about dropping?

Easter eggs full of flour sound like they would hurt if someone got hit with one.

No more than one of these would: http://theawesomer.com/quanum-rc-bo.../theawesomer.com/quanum-rc-bomb-system/25749/

However, I'll throw out a crazy idea... (I haven't tried it, but it popped into my head as soon as I read "Easter eggs full of flower.")

When I was a kid, we used to punch a small nail hole in each end of a real egg and blow the contents out through one of the holes -- leaving us with empty egg shells we would color and hang on a tree (and providing my mother with a bunch of pre-scrambled eggs for breakfast cooking).

Now, imagine doing this and then taping over one hole, funnel flower (or other powder) into the top hole, then taping over that hole. That would leave you with a lightweight (and easily breakable) container filled with powder -- would probably make a very satisfying "Poof" when it hits the ground. Being so light and breakable, would probably not injure someone too badly if your drop was off-target. The worst that could happen is being struck by a ... (dare I say it?) ... shell fragment (yup, I dared).

Maybe this could be used with the FT Gang's Breakfast Bombers?

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
Maybe a banner
SliderBlimpGuy_8-Airplane-Banner-Towing-PNG.png

Last edited:

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
What about pop rocks (also called snappers)? They pop when they hit the ground, and probably won't hurt someone if it lands on them.

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
gumballs.jpg

I used these "gumballs" on my mini guinea. They were all over my yard this weekend, so I grabbed some.
They are light and drop easily enough, sometimes they stick together and dont all drop out at the same time. So I would loop or roll which would loosen them up and I could drop again. It was kind of neat to do multiple drops in a flight.

When I was a kid, we used to punch a small nail hole in each end of a real egg and blow the contents out through one of the holes -- leaving us with empty egg shells we would color and hang on a tree (and providing my mother with a bunch of pre-scrambled eggs for breakfast cooking).

Heh, I did the whole drill out the egg thing too. Except I then gathered hydrogen through electrolysis and filled the egg and touched them off. That was fun.

You could also drop candy, there's a FT episode where they were doing that. Other fun things to drop depending on the drop zone and safety available:
  • Surveyor flags: It's like lawn darts but with planes. (Stolen idea from FT)
  • Self deploying free flight airplanes.
  • One of these.
  • If you could figure out an ignition mechanism, firecrackers...
I'm a wealth of BAD ideas. About only one, maybe two of those should actually be done. Well they all could given the proper safety but the thing is, no everyone takes the safety aspect seriously. So that's my warning, don't do that!

Go with candy, water balloons, and parachute men.

nlit3n

Thanks for all the ideas. I was never planning on dropping anything on people. So you dont have to worry about me hitting someone with an easter egg. I have done the hollow egg before. I like the paper helicopters, and the banner. I was thinking I could drop streamers as well. Im going to load up on band snaps over the 4th. Re-enacting the ff7 car drop scene would be pretty cool.

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
One more silly idea. Seeds :)

You could fly some patterns dropping seeds all over a field and see where you flew after a few weeks of growing :)

Don't drop crabgrass seeds into your neighbors yard while flying a quadcopter in fpv with a gopro though.

Techno

Sunny Day Park Flyer
What if you put in a water bottle and filled it with water and food coloring and hooked it up to a servo to release in the air at sunset. You might even make a rainbow:)

ghost civic

I have dropped snap rocks and ping pong balls from my slow stick.

The snap rocks are fun because you can hardly see them fall, but then you hear "pop pop snap pop" along the ground.

Ping pong balls are fun, fly up really high and they take a good while to fall.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Rolls of toilet paper. Make sure the end is loose so they unroll in the air. Maybe even get those Scott brand rolls without the tube so you don't have to clean up anything. (Just wait for the paper to decay.)

Christopher14

Driftin' with the wind...
Rolls of toilet paper. Make sure the end is loose so they unroll in the air. Maybe even get those Scott brand rolls without the tube so you don't have to clean up anything. (Just wait for the paper to decay.)

A novel new way of TP-ing someone's yard... Don't get any ideas, kids.