Three Dimensional Flying with a Two Dimensional Plane!

Headbang

Master member
I added 28g of wieght to bring things up to 300g.
Did a quick thrust test, came to 330g thrust with the 1806 and a 6x3 prop. Not super stoked, but a fresh battery will help, and normally it would be lighter. Now just have to wait for these 40km winds to go away.
20190924_171606.jpg 20190924_171545.jpg 20190924_171536.jpg

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I just did not trust the motor mount and reinforced while building. Flys well on a 500w motor. Old 2215 in the c pack does not handle a 10x4.5 well, motor drops rpm too much. Works much better on a 9x6. 9x4.5 on 4s works well too. I never understood why they packaged that motor with that prop. On the radial it makes sense tho. My tests with the radial 2215 worked out well with a 11x4.5 and a 10x6.
Good to know. I’m thinking about revisiting the edge at ff 2020 and getting one of the radial c packs and some 4s batteries and seeing how she does. If I picked up a radial motor and paired it with my 30 amp esc and a 10 inch prop, would that give me unlimited vertical?

Headbang

Master member
Good to know. I’m thinking about revisiting the edge at ff 2020 and getting one of the radial c packs and some 4s batteries and seeing how she does. If I picked up a radial motor and paired it with my 30 amp esc and a 10 inch prop, would that give me unlimited vertical?
10in prop on 4s needs at least 35amp esc.

Headbang

Master member
@Headbang, I told you it was important... ;)
Optional Stl's are perfected and ready, plans are ready to go as long as the test fights go well. A crappy build video is ready to go. Written step by step instructions are ready to go.
Guess the bright side is I had a chance to fix the seaduck (wingtip touch while doing tight figure 8's 2" off the ground), and I will be working on the viggen tomorrow.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Guess the bright side
I crashed and burned with my Spit, today. I'm glad you're finding time to repair your planes as well. The true bright side is you are soon going to be releasing plans for a needed plane, that you have tested to the fullest extent, done a build video, done written instructions for, and you have many of us waiting with baited breath.

THAT'S a pretty good bright side, I think! :D

L Edge

Master member
I wish! I got it so I can practice my big plane routines!

Have you tried bipes? Good way to keep the mind/fingers in shape for inverted flight, especially in the wind. Used cup to drop candy,parachutes, plastic easter eggs to the kids by rolling inverted and let them go out over the field. They love it.
Also works with/without cup to land inverted.
The ultimate is to takeoff and land inverted and everything in-between. Look up "flipflop". Labeled my the "otherup".

OliverW

Legendary member
I used to have a 3D bipe foamie but it did not perform the way I wanted it to. I think I would have more fun with it now then when I had it.

L Edge

Master member
I used to have a 3D bipe foamie but it did not perform the way I wanted it to. I think I would have more fun with it now then when I had it.

It took 3 different models to find the right one. 2 of them sucked with rudder (wrong distance between wing and rudder) and was not effective. Could not hold knife edge in either direction unless excessive elevator was used. As you know, knife edge and inverted has to be smooth.

OliverW

Legendary member
It took 3 different models to find the right one. 2 of them sucked with rudder (wrong distance between wing and rudder) and was not effective. Could not hold knife edge in either direction unless excessive elevator was used. As you know, knife edge and inverted has to be smooth.
The one I had did things smooth, it just flew kind of heavy and had a nasty wing rock in harriers. Would have kept on flying her but when we loaded up our trailer my dad put it under one of our glasses, and fuel dripped on its wing and melted through. $120 for 25 flights...

Headbang

Master member
Have you tried bipes? Good way to keep the mind/fingers in shape for inverted flight, especially in the wind. Used cup to drop candy,parachutes, plastic easter eggs to the kids by rolling inverted and let them go out over the field. They love it.
Also works with/without cup to land inverted.
The ultimate is to takeoff and land inverted and everything in-between. Look up "flipflop". Labeled my the "otherup".

Half my fleet is bipes. They just rock!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
What do you guys think of this as a symmetrical airfoil? Too thick? I’m considering making the spar only three sheets of foam thick, as 4 seems too much and two was too little...

Attachments

• B69615EF-05DD-46FB-8CE1-23646A1328D4.jpeg
    B69615EF-05DD-46FB-8CE1-23646A1328D4.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 1DB021BE-74FA-46BC-991D-135FE37DDFFB.jpeg
    1DB021BE-74FA-46BC-991D-135FE37DDFFB.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited: