Time for Something Different — Blasters Set for Stun

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
My wife’s three children — my daughter (6), my son (4), and me (36) — have recently gotten into Nerf blaster wars. We started building an arsenal of air powered plunger/springer blasters. Then I picked up the newest reskin in of the Stryfe flywheel blaster.
s-l1000.jpg

But me being me, I had to start tinkering. I knew I could make it better ;)

The blaster comes with mechanical and electrical safety locks (a magazine with darts must be inserted, the top door must be closed, etc.). It also comes with very tiny 22-24 AWG wire.

I started by replacing the 130 size brushed motors with upgraded motors. I also used silicone 18 AWG wire throughout.

I knew I was going to use a 2S lipo to power the blaster, so I purchased a green LED volt meter and 3D printed an internal stealth mount for the meter to fit under the jam door.

I used the original three position switch for the jam door to wire the volt meter. It is only powered and on when the jam door is open.

I replaced the rev trigger with a more comfortable 3D printed one, and I replaced the rev switch with a much better microswitch.

Lastly, I replaced the magazine release trigger with a longer and more ergonomic 3D printed one. The 18 AWG wire runs to an XT30 in the stock battery tray (I had to cut out a few pieces of the plastic). From the outside the blaster looks completely stock, except the black rev trigger and mag release trigger.

When you open the jam door, you get a nice voltage readout of your lipo!

Overall it was a really fun project. I believe the stock blaster shoots between 55-60 fps. The new one shoots closer to 100 fps. Looks like this is Daddy's new blaster.

Last edited:

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
First of all. Great job

I am not a nerf fanatic, so pardon my ignorance, this is normally a motorized shooter. Right? To which you awesome-ized it. with bigger motors and a readout, better trigger for faster farther shots and better battery system with a read-out.

What I can think though is a way to put a whoop motor version with a reed switch activated by a servo with a magnet. hmmm. #d printer here

French

You’re absolutely right. It started as a motorized shooter (two flywheels that spin when a rev trigger is pressed, then you push the dart into the flywheels when the trigger mechanism is pulled). It’s designed to run off four AA batteries (6V). The gauge of the stick wiring is inadequate.

To put it in RC terms ;) I added new motors with more KV and torque than the stock motors. I updated all the wiring and switches to handle more amperage. Upgrading to a 2S lipo means more voltage and better amp delivery.

There is a community of nerf modders our ther (visual and mechanical). It’s pretty crazy. They have designed full auto and burst modes to these blasters using additional motors. They also are starting to get into using brushless motors, escs, and controllers to adjust parameters on the fly.

2882e2_f23a1ac3b954495c9ecac0714dde3ac0~mv2_d_5344_3006_s_4_2.jpg

http://www.projectfdl.com/fdl-2plus

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!

If I am the Bill you are referring to then sure. I move very slow so not much of a challenge as a target I am afraid.

French

I got bored tonight and made a paracord sling. lol

Also my 2S lipos arrived that fit perfectly in the AA tray

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
You been stalkin me in my back yard? I found two nerf darts when I was setting up my track today.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Man I hope you never lose it... That clip change time is sick. You could do a lot of damage fast with that skill. Empty clip pulled.. not ejected and replaced with full before the motor even spins down by half.