Tiny trainer derivative

kilroy07

Legendary member
Great footage, that second landing not so much! 😉

I’m going to have to save up for one of those the picture is much clearer than the cheap stuff I have....

bracesport

Legendary member
@kilroy07 - @$20 it should not take you long!

Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 11.20.12 AM.png

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
The TT tool a bit of a beating on the last outing!

The folding prop broke, the motor mount got pushed into the nose foam, and the FB nose split and crumpled so the prop was angled to the right.

A bit of hot glue and it’s all as good as new!

I also fitted a 9x3 slow prop.

57EA7055-9AAC-43E4-892D-779172326E22.jpeg
DA1F3707-181D-418A-9C51-BC6ED760D6E0.jpeg

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
so, in thanks for building up the Pheonix, my brother in Law gave me a hobbymate 3 axis gyro - in basic terms, it can be used with planes, delta wings, and V tails to stabilise flight (so they say)!

I only have ailerons and elevator, but it seems to work regardless of no rudder connection (even though it says all three should be plugged in), and it must have an aileron mix function as it is driving my ailerons on separate servos with no servo out from the Rx on ch5 to the gyro (the second servo is plugged into Aux-out on the gyro).

as I understand it pushing down on the wing should create a downward reaction of the aileron to lift the wing etc

I am looking forward to trying it out!

SKU13515302.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-05-12 at 3.37.37 PM.png

Last edited:

mayan

Legendary member
I second @kilroy07 seems like you started daring and daring means flying which means damage can take place. I am just super happy that you are daring, and flying, and practicing. Good job.
so, in thanks for building up the Pheonix, my brother in Law gave me a hobbymate 3 axis gyro - in basic terms, it can be used with planes, delta wings, and V tails to stabilise flight (so they say)!

I only have ailerons and elevator, but it seems to work regardless of no rudder connection (even though it says all three should be plugged in), and it must have an aileron mix function as it is driving my ailerons on separate servos with no servo out from the Rx on ch5 to the gyro (the second servo is plugged into Aux-out on the gyro).

as I understand it pushing down on the wing should create a downward reaction of the aileron to lift the wing etc

I am looking forward to trying it out!

View attachment 131035 View attachment 131037
This looks really cool but I do have a question though. Isn't that making it harder to fly when you have a dihyral wing which tries to correct itself anyhow?

kilroy07

Legendary member
I might suggest mounting the gyro closer to the cg.

I didn’t see a port for a mode from the receiver, it is nice to have the gyro on a switch to turn it off (if possible) if things aren’t tuned well..... ask how I know.... 🙄

bracesport

Legendary member
@mayan - you are probably right regarding the self-levelling of the dihedral!

Why use an aeroplane gyro? - Gyros (also called flight stabilizers) help keep your aeroplane stable during take-off, flight manoeuvres, and landings which can be helpful during windy days or when learning how to fly RC planes. Once thought to be for beginners only, Gyros are now common in all classes of aircraft and are utilized by all levels of flyers. Gyros are great for learning, they let pilots practice advanced aerobatics, they give you peace of mind in less than ideal flight conditions, and they can often help you avoid costly crash damage.

@kilroy07 - the Aux-in is the on/off switchable port! Oh, and yes I will mount it around the CG, that was just a test for its function!

As you know I am no expert in anything RC that flies, but I am slowly learning and I like the toys offered in this hobby!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Stabilizers only try to hold the attitude of the plane in 3 axis's. They neither provide any flying performance improvement because if you give the plane a wrong input a crash will still result! The only benefit is from turbulence responses where the plane will try to maintain its original attitude regardless of external forces.

There is a warning to be given though! IF the gain is too high the Stabilizer can "Over react" to upsets and cause the plane to make exaggerated and over controlled responses to external upset forces. This can quickly lead to a loss of control and crash.

It is better to start with the gains very low and slowly increase them until you get the required stability. DO NOT start with the gains at max or the plane WILL crash!

Have fun!

kilroy07

Legendary member
I second what Hai-Lee mentioned.
With my A3 pros I had the gain set at about half and it was a tad too much. Ended up around 40% or about 10 o’clock. If the gains are high, you’ll see oscillation (i think I have a video of it in my red simple scout) gets worse at higher speeds.

And oh, check the reaction direction again before you fly.... I had the aleroions reversed once on my explorer..... “fun times”.. 😅

bracesport

Legendary member
@kilroy07 - yes it seems to be very deceptive - high five for RT turn on the aileron, but aileron down with gyro to lift/correct the wing if pushed down!

good tip, I will adjust the gain below 50%!