Volunteer - Transmitter Sessions/Help At Flite Fest

Seminar/Workshop Ideas
OpenTX
Volunteers: Main BitOgre, Intro/backup RCdiy
1. OpenTX Basics: Is OpenTX For you and how to start
2. OpenTX Intermediate: Dual Rates, Expo, Mixes, and Telemetry
3. OpenTX Advance: Logical Switches, Special Functions & Flight Modes in OpenTX

Checkout the google doc for details on these sessions
https://docs.google.com/document/d/...7sgfFwfiNlWpjvG58/edit#heading=h.y06iv2e5hlqe

I would expect Spektrum would take the opportunity to do a session of there own.
Similarly at FF West maybe Aloft Would jump in.

Gathering Area/The Build Tent Ideas
1.1 Informally show up at the build tent and let the volunteer know that we are available to help with x branded radio systems.
1.2 Post a sign " x brand radio system help here"
1.3 Post a sign " x brand radio system help call #numbers" (might be a bit out there as an idea but work with me)
In my case for example when I cross the border I may get a local sim card so I'd have no worries sharing my temporary number.
1.4 Post a sign as in 1.2 but have a schedule every two hours. 10am 12pm 2pm 4pm. At those time the volunteers come by the sign and hang out at least 15 minutes before leaving is there is no help required. If help is required stay longer.
1.5 Maybe Spektrum agrees that we can let people know to drop by their table for help.

I think there may be room for more than one approach just like there is more than one kind of person. Some people have no problem approaching anyone for help while others like to know there is someone designated they can ask.

Coordination/Volunteer
- Each venue needs a coordinator
- Volunteers list/schedule
- Equipment (optional camera screen combo to show tx screen, laptop screen combo to demo companion/other)
I think FF will help with the large screen if they are available.

FF Ohio Brands/Volunteers
Coordinator: RCdiy
- Spektrum
- OpenTX (RCdiy, rockyboy, BitOgre*)
- Jumper
- Graupner (ELEV8 RC*)
*Voluntered to present

FF Texas Brands/Volunteers
Coordinator: tamuct01?
- Spektrum
- OpenTX (tamuct01)
- Jumper
- Graupner

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
More often than not, that's one of the things that happens naturally in the build tent -- find someone who's using the same radio and ask for a hand. If that person doesn't feel up to it, there's likely someone else around who is.

IMO, A separate area for it seems . . . under-utilizing the space.

RCdiy

RCdiy
Same logic then for build sessions?
We went to the bloody baron build and after the kits were handed out we were told to build... We could have done that in a build tent :)
The difference is a group in one place for the same purpose.

There are hours where the build series tents are not used... so we won't be taking away space just designating a use for it.

In the general tents it could as simple as a sign. So it not a sectioned off area. Just a sign next to which volunteers with more experience on a particular radio system can hang out and wait for questions. This could just be one hour a day subject to volunteers.

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Same logic then for build sessions?
We went to the bloody baron build and after the kits were handed out we were told to build... We could have done that in a build tent :)
The difference is a group in one place for the same purpose.

There are hours where the build series tents are not used... so we won't be taking away space just designating a use for it.

In the general tents it could as simple as a sign. So it not a sectioned off area. Just a sign next to which volunteers with more experience on a particular radio system can hang out and wait for questions. This could just be one hour a day subject to volunteers.

I like the idea of having a radio clinic during un-schedule hours in one of the teaching tents - one with a projector preferably to show the Open-TX Companion side of configuration too. For radio systems that are OpenTX or Deviation based there are literally dozens of ways to accomplish the same task, each with different advantages and drawbacks. And I have no idea what those $pektrum things are up to, but I know a lot of people use 'em :p

And if we just go with a 'corner of a tent' approach I'd volunteer an hour a day to have a 'bring your OpenTX radio here' sign on my hat.

RCdiy

RCdiy
I like the idea of having a radio clinic during un-schedule hours in one of the teaching tents - one with a projector preferably to show the Open-TX Companion side of configuration too. For radio systems that are OpenTX or Deviation based there are literally dozens of ways to accomplish the same task, each with different advantages and drawbacks. And I have no idea what those $pektrum things are up to, but I know a lot of people use 'em :p

And if we just go with a 'corner of a tent' approach I'd volunteer an hour a day to have a 'bring your OpenTX radio here' sign on my hat.

Maybe you and me together :) We could ask Stephan to make and announcement for us.
No harm in trying one year and seeing the response/demand...
I could bring my camera, tripod and hdmi cable to plug into one of their TVs or if someone volunteers to bring a monitor (I have one of those as well). Easier to have people follow along with the big screen...

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
IMO, A separate area for it seems . . . under-utilizing the space.

My brief experience would lead me to agree. I would think however that publicizing the availability of that sort of help would be beneficial. I saw at least one instance where a build was nearly completed, but the people had no radio of any kind.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Maybe you and me together :) We could ask Stephan to make and announcement for us.
No harm in trying one year and seeing the response/demand...
I could bring my camera, tripod and hdmi cable to plug into one of their TVs or if someone volunteers to bring a monitor (I have one of those as well). Easier to have people follow along with the big screen...

Doing a big screen view of a 'build camera' looking down on a transmitter would be great. And I'll have a laptop with Companion on it - but it's old school VGA - we'll need to get an adapter for this new fangled HDMI tech :)

If FT does get back to having build workshops like they did in 2016 (man I loved those!!) hopefully we can get into the main series. Even if we don't get this onto the main agenda / program ahead of time, if we bring the equipment it would be easy enough to put together at the site with an announcement like you said. And I think there was talk of some improvements coming up for having a posted schedule of events on site in a central location - that could help get the word out while we're there too.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I do think y'all are centering on something that is workable.

First, Dunno if the build series are coming back. Yeah, I liked them too -- by all means, LOBBY for their return -- but organizing and setting up schedules is a job in itself, and not a task that is delegated. It was somewhat merged this past year with the STEM activities, but in this, FT is focusing on STEM, so STEM rules. Yeah, teaching "concepts" of specific radio systems will draw an audience, but each tends to get brand specific. FT has in past been more brand agnostic -- even their partnership with Graupner didn't result in a "you need to buy their radios" mentality, and the big radio names all still had a place in their shop and store. Picking up brand specific "build series" sessions may be a bit much to ask.

Now for what I do see working -- If you have skill in one or more radio system and interest to teach and/or help, wander into the build tent, stake out a spot and work on something . . . then tell the build volunteers if they run across anyone who needs help with X, you can lend a hand (keep in mind, you may not be alone in this).

Over FFE'17 I personally setup 7 non-trivial models on other people's Tarnais radios and 2 Spektrum radios (fortunately no 9xr's this year :p ). Numbers at FFS were less -- 3 Taranis and two Spektrum, but I spent a larger percentage of that event flying and not as much in the tents. Granted, I'd guess about 60% of those were friends who knew to ask me for a hand, but the other 40% happened to be folks I chatted with or other volunteers brought to me because they knew I would be willing to lend a hand.

My point -- one of the purposes of the build volunteers is to be the RC Social Butterfly, connecting people to resources -- in this case, you're skills and willingness. Setting up in the area and keeping yourself busy (you can never tell when a "customer" arrives), is a good start, but bring the other build volunteers in on what you're up to, and willing to do -- it's one reason why they're there. If they see someone who can use your help, they'll bring them to you. Easy-peasy.

Scheduling the time so you don't have to wait, from my experience, is self defeating. We've tried it with the SBKs and getting the info and schedule published and communicated has been a challenge in and of itself, and doesn't fix the random customer arrival problem. Telling a kid that their new versa wing kit is cool but the guy who knows how to do it isn't scheduled to arrive until tomorrow is a non-starter -- you still need to find the kid some help if you can. Same goes for the radio help (and why I HATE the DXe radio).

I get the desire to publish schedules so you aren't wasting time in the build tent, but in that respect (an I mean NO offense by this), are you helping others for them or for yourself? You are effectively volunteering your time to help them -- why? Are you doing this for your own community status, or to see them take flight? Either is an acceptable motivation, and some have a mix of the two, but they are not the same. The second places their needs first, and the first places yours. The first involves the supplicant meeting your requirements (specific time and place, so it's not like it's unreasonable), the second is meeting the other person's needs where they are . . . and involves you surrendering your time to be there when they need it, when no one knows when that will be.

Fundamentally, among the Flitetest community the first attitude will garner you more resources and opportunities to help.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I absolutely love doing the social buttery fly thing, meeting people, helping out, and generally enjoying the atmosphere of both the build tent and the flight line. And I get what you're saying about scheduling not being appropriate for a person having a problem that's keeping them out of the air. I hadn't thought about letting the build tent volunteers know I was there with 'a certain specialized set of skillz' but can see how that will be very helpful this year.

As far as going over more advanced techniques and being able to have a discussion with a larger audience I still like the idea of doing something a lot more like the build series events. And if we can get a couple advanced users of other radio types involved, I'd love to do a 'How to setup a throttle cut', and 'how to manage high/low expo & rates', and 'how to manage a large number of models so you don't forget where in the %!@ radio they are' on a handful of platforms. Personally I don't know much about the other platforms (beyond OpenTX) and would love to see how they accomplish some of these tasks - without making the investment myself :p

And as for the why I'd personally want to do this, it's simple. The most fun a person can have at Flite Fest events is reserved exclusively for volunteers - and it's open for anyone to join in! I learn something every time I help someone, and I love seeing people learn new things, overcome problems, and get a huge smile when they get something in the air.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
With the popularity of the configurability of the Open TX firmware and Taranis platform I see this as a huge springboard for people to jump in with the initial help they need as well as expanding the knowledge of others already using.

It's really a keen idea, one that I think deserves consideration for the other brands, Spektrum for example could do likewise and perhaps glean insight as to what the users are thinking/needing/wanting. Speaking for myself, I know there is much my radio can do that I yet don't know how to employ.

flitetest

Administrator
Admin
Hey everyone!

Just had a small chat with josh and conceptually we love this idea! We can def work through what avenue works best, but def love the idea and would like to integrate into FF in some way shape or form! ;)

Looking forward to seeing what comes from it and thanks so much for all your efforts, insights, and creativity in pushing the hobby and FT forward! ;)

Blessings,
Stefan

RCdiy

RCdiy
Those of you interested please post your venue and brand you would volunteer for.
East, west, south
OpenTx, Spektrum, Jumper

RCdiy

RCdiy
@craftydan
Did you want me to put you down as a volunteer for both OpenTX and Spektrum help? FF East?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
@craftydan
Did you want me to put you down as a volunteer for both OpenTX and Spektrum help? FF East?

I don't mind lending a hand, and don't want to sound divisive, but are we talking parallel volunteer teams? (competing for volunteers in the same space or just picking up an extra hat)

At the FF's I attend, I've always been on the build tent volunteer team. Not sure which events I'm attending this year, yet, but what I typically do at the event is not something I expect will change. Whether it's a radio setup or flight controller programming or wiring lights or helping undo a bad glue joint on a SBK, I'll lend a hand. If I can't, I do what I can to find someone who can. Among the picking up trash, moving tables around and unplugging abandoned chargers, this is what build tent volunteers do.

Again, I'm all for lending a hand, and I understand the desire to play to your strengths, but I'm still wondering how much of this is redundant.

rotozuk

We had a great time at the West event last year and are looking forward to attending this year.

Since it was the first year, perhaps the West event was not as advanced as the East event, we had a lot of people we helped with builds and repairs in our booth space. We had a great time doing this. We were repairing radios, programming even doing firmware updates, etc. We went out of our way to do whatever we could to lend a hand, even fixing gear that had nothing to do with our business. One of my guys was pretty much glued to the soldering station all day, each day fixing stuff for folks. He loved it. Luckily we had brought a lot of supplies and spare parts.

Anyhow, I can see a real need to show off some OpenTX basics to folks. I know a lot of folks are afraid of the Companion process. I would be willing to put together a little demonstration on how to use Companion and talk to a few of the shortcomings of the software so people can avoid the headaches. I can see a need for something like this. We can probably put together some other topics for the FrSky radios as there are plenty of points of confusion with these radios for a new user.

For basic questions and assistance, we are happy to answer those in our booth, we would not be able to man a seperate table, heck, we hardly take a food break during the event. :)

Hope this may help in some way.

-Wayne