Transmitters

Firemedic501

As a relative noob in RC, I need some info on transmitters. I have a couple of DJI phantoms, a Latraxx Alias, and a Syma X5c. I want to most likely build my own, or at least a kit. However, I have ZERO idea of what I want in a transmitter. I understand the basic need for the different channels, (A,E,T,R etc), but do I want Graupner, Futaba, Spektrum, OrangeRX, or Turnigy, and so on. What is good about a tranmitter, what is bad, I want to know about expandability, vs cost for a beginner. All the ins and outs. I want to go ahead and buy a radio, but I am just not sure where to start. I think it would make a great show. What do you guys use, why do you use it, etc.

Thanks, keep up the great work!

Jim

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
Hi Firemedic501! Welcome to the forum! wave1.gif

While I could recommend a transmitter to you I am pretty biased with Futaba.. I know they aren't for everyone. There will probably be several that say get a Taranis.. again people can be biased to brands so I want to give you some tips to help you choose for yourself.

The first thing you need to ask yourself is... What is my budget? Transmitters can range from $25 all the way up to $3000! You shouldn't have to buy the most expensive one you can find... You want one that will suit your needs and the layout suits your hands. It is an investment so if you are going to be in the hobby for a while I would urge you to invest in a nicer unit now so you don't have buyer's remorse when you have to upgrade later.

Next thing you have to ask yourself is...
What besides the basic 4 channels will I want my transmitter to control? What would I want to have my transmitter control in the future? You can control things like camera gimbals, lights, grappling hook, rocket launchers, your imagination is the only limit! Now that you have an idea of how many output channels you will need, and a price in mind...you can start looking at transmitters. Don't be afraid to compare different features of transmitters. Some are capable of telemetry and some have multiple proportional channel outputs (useful for aiming camera gimbals). There are so many options out there so take your time.

Once you nail down a few models you like, you can check reviews and maybe reach out to possibly find someone that has that transmitter. Being able to hold the transmitter before you buy it is priceless! You don't want to spend a bunch of money and find the transmitter doesn't fit your hands! Another thing to think about is the price of receivers and other parts... Futaba and spektrum are usually pretty expensive with their receivers while Hitec, Frsky, and a few others are usually pretty reasonable. You can check to see if their are other options on the market like a lesser known brand of receiver that may be compatible with your radio system.

Once you pick a winner it is time to shop around for the best prices... At this point I would only caution you that sometimes transmitters are sold with and without receivers, servos, and other accessories. So just because it is cheaper somewhere make sure it is what you are wanting!

Last edited:

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
Firemedic501,
Here's a good place to start: http://flitetest.com/articles/beginner-series-transmitters

Personally, I like the budget transmitters, (FlySky/Turnigy, FrSky, OrangeRx). I'm a fan of open source, and that's why this is my preference. I like the fact that I can have a $100 set-up (plane included) that will rival a store-bought combo costing significantly more.

It all comes down to personal preference. I would determine the available budget and desired features, then go with the best transmitter that will fit within your budget. Try to leave room for growth when you make your choice.

Firemedic501

Transmitter Modules

I see that some of the transmitters are listed w/o module. Looking at Hobbyking, I see Turnigy listed w/o module. So, modules available for different recievers?

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
Yes. You can purchase the transmitter without a module than select the module with the protocol you want to use. For example, the OrangeRx module will allow you to use the Spektrum (DSM2/DSMX) protocol. This allows you to control bind-n-fly models that use that protocol. Which Turnigy Tx are you looking at?