Uk based -De-papered foam or posterboard

IanSR

Yeah the non-FT stuff here has the paper glued on it which makes it difficult to take off, I personally used a heat gun, but that didn't work too well.

I know how you feel abou club people, our club seems to be split into two groups, and one lot is not overly friendly or welcoming, the other practically beg you to play it with their planes and will go out of their way to make someone new feel welcome.

daxian

Elite member
westfoam ...gave up on that after the first 2 planes i built ,really heavy stuff !
get on ebay and order some of the cheaper brands (£20 for 10 sheets a1) your pocket will thank you !!
as for removing paper... get out the smoothing iron ...it works perfect !! find the right setting ,practice on scraps !!
i also am a solo flyer,there is a club about a mile away ...but mostly stuffy types that look down on anything thats not balsa or a gasser...and want a fortune for the privelige of a place to fly ...no thanks !
lancashire here ....you ??

FDS

Elite member
Most of the UK board is supplied from 3 companies, all is heavier than FB board, the amount does vary. I have tried to get details from the two main wholesalers in the UK on which manufacturer has the lightest weight board, no reply. There’s probably room for some up to date testing of current common boards to see which is lightest.

stereodreieck86

Might be a stupid question; Why dont you simply buy the FliteTest Foam from Graupner in Germany ? The price will only go up after Brexit.

FDS

Elite member
They sell the FT foam here in the UK, it’s not a bad price but stockists charge more for P&P on the ft foam, you can buy 10 sheets of the other stuff for the same price as about 4 sheets of FT, plus our sheets are bigger.
For minis and light builds the FT Foam is essential but only cost effective if you can buy in person or buy lots of sheets at once.
It won’t actually cost more after Brexit, as it’s made by Adams in the USA and thus already subject to the same level of duty and VAT that will apply next month. Graupner don’t make that board.

stereodreieck86

They sell the FT foam here in the UK, it’s not a bad price but stockists charge more for P&P on the ft foam, you can buy 10 sheets of the other stuff for the same price as about 4 sheets of FT, plus our sheets are bigger.
For minis and light builds the FT Foam is essential but only cost effective if you can buy in person or buy lots of sheets at once.
It won’t actually cost more after Brexit, as it’s made by Adams in the USA and thus already subject to the same level of duty and VAT that will apply next month. Graupner don’t make that board.

I thought Graupner Germany is distribtor for the EU and the Foam has to be shipped from the U.S to Germany to the U.k.

Reactions: FDS

FDS

Elite member
The UK won’t INCREASE duty vs what the EU is charging at the end if this month, otherwise what’s the point of leaving?
Graupner can just ship direct to the UK from the US under the same tax.
Power packs with Graupner components may go up and if the £ collapses we will be screwed again for a while tho.

FDS

Elite member
Unless I give any advice about flying, then ignore me and stay up!
I have been building stuff with foamboard for 15 years. My dad started me on it as he used it for displays and architectural models, back when if you needed a 3d building you busted out the card not the computer!

FDS

Elite member
Nice.
Static plane modelling I have always done, I built a few band powered balsa planes and flew a few toy gliders etc but RC model flight is new for me, I have only been building since October last year.
Fortunately I did a lot in two months and made all the easy mistakes in that time. I have several days per week to peruse new skills so have had plenty of build and stick time over the last few months.
There is so much to learn as a new builder/pilot I have been hugely helped and encouraged by the more experienced and helpfully inexperienced members of this forum. Looking forward to many more years of lessons and new experiences.

daxian

Elite member
@Kananga...i never said there was a weight difference ,the price difference is huge and the paper removal is easier is what i referred to ...i am on a pension so every penny counts . last time i checked westfoam was 56 pound for ten sheets .
have fun with your builds and flights...

IanSR

I've been corrected by our club guy on night flying rules, they are the same as day, so long as you maintain visual line of sight to the model, all is good. Of course, this doesn't mean it's as easy lol

So I guess yes, as long as the model is lit, night flying is still ok.
I think.
It's about as clear as mud aparantly.

bracesport

Legendary member
If Adams Redi Board available in the UK (we have it here in NZ) and it's very light and the paper easily peels off - we pay $3 dollars a sheet which would be close to 1 pound (if available) - with one paper side removed it almost curls on its own!

FDS

Elite member
Adams do not ship board to the UK, there’s no similar light weight one currently available.