*Unofficial* FT Simple Stick

Ranger_107

Elite member
I finished up my FT Simple Stick this weekend. I installed LEDs EVERYWHERE! so I hope it will be a good night flyer. It was a very easy kit to put together. I outfitted it with the "B" pack. I printed SPONZ's control horn and remixed a firewall so the X Mount screws would fit better. I used some old "Zagi" tape I had lying around for the orange and electrical tape for the black trim. I need to find some bright/neon/lime green to match the old ultra stick scheme.

I glued strip of foamboard down the center of the fuse so I could mount the LEDs on both sides. It diffuses the light really well. I also put lights around the spar on the wings. I'm no sold on it yet, but I wanted to light up the elevator and rudder, so I slit the foamboard in half and doubled up the LEDs (so the lights are facing up on both sides. It came out okay, but should look better in the air. I wish it diffused better.

Airframe weighs in at 536g and because of all the LEDs I put in the tail, I'm using a 3S 2200mAh battery to balance it out. Flying weight is 730.9g. I hope to maiden it later this week.

Ricky
This man, ladies and gentlemen, nows how to decorate a stick

moke

Is that built from @The Hangar's Simple Stick plans?
yes on The hangars plans. got it all done cept for the motor and esc. hope to maiden later this week.

tried to stick with 'the hangars' paint scheme.
20201005_173859.jpg

Attachments

• 20201005_173936.jpg
    20201005_173936.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20201005_175524.jpg
    20201005_175524.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

moke

swapped out power pack from my P40 to get the Stik done and flying. Came out pretty good with not a lot of challenges. Main issue is difficulty hitting c.g. I have a 3s 2200 50c jammed all the way forward, plus added some weights and kept the esc forward. And put a big ole spinner with beefy adapter for it. That plus heavier gear and I'm still a half inch too far aft. Going to give it a try and see how it works. May have to go up to 4s? Any thoughts or similar issues.?

Attachments

• stik done 2.jpg
    stik done 2.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • stik done.jpg
    stik done.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

RickyG

I guess I'm gonna have to use duct tape on my next one! @moke I guess the plans you have differ from flite tests? I had a TON of LED weight in the tail and my 2200 3S balanced perfectly. All I have is 4S 2200 mAh packs and I wonder if it going to be too nose heavy.

The Simple Stick Kit is on backorder online so I can't wait for the plans to come out so I can cut one out!

Ricky

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
swapped out power pack from my P40 to get the Stik done and flying. Came out pretty good with not a lot of challenges. Main issue is difficulty hitting c.g. I have a 3s 2200 50c jammed all the way forward, plus added some weights and kept the esc forward. And put a big ole spinner with beefy adapter for it. That plus heavier gear and I'm still a half inch too far aft. Going to give it a try and see how it works. May have to go up to 4s? Any thoughts or similar issues.?
I know several builders had issues with it being tail heavy - mine was pretty good with a 2200 up in the nose though. Make sure you're balancing it on the front of the spar - Something got shifted on the plans so one CG mark is on the back edge of the spar, which is incorrect.

moke

I know several builders had issues with it being tail heavy - mine was pretty good with a 2200 up in the nose though. Make sure you're balancing it on the front of the spar - Something got shifted on the plans so one CG mark is on the back edge of the spar, which is incorrect.
yep trying to get it on front of spar. despite battery and all I have done I can't get it that far forward. hope that it is 'forgiving'

moke

I guess I'm gonna have to use duct tape on my next one! @moke I guess the plans you have differ from flite tests? I had a TON of LED weight in the tail and my 2200 3S balanced perfectly. All I have is 4S 2200 mAh packs and I wonder if it going to be too nose heavy.

The Simple Stick Kit is on backorder online so I can't wait for the plans to come out so I can cut one out!

Ricky
yes I am using @hangar plans. I don't think FT plans for theirs are available yet

Keno

View attachment 180652
Didn't feel like painting it so just used some black duck tape, oh and that strip running along the leading edge of the wing may or may not hide the 7 times may or may not have messed up on the bevel cut....
This does not have to be a problem on the leading edge. Be you fold it cover it with Dollar Tree Paper tape on the leading edge it save the splitting. I would suggest that you also iron it down for better adhesion. It will provide with a smoother leading edge.

moke

Successful maiden with my Simple Stik. Started with 4s 2200 battery to help c.g. That flight went well. Second flight with 3s was a little 'squirrelly'. All in all, very satisfying. Thnx to @hangar for simple stik plans.