*Unofficial* FT Simple Stick

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I started construction today. Thanks to Randyris blowing up the plans was a piece of cake. I settled on 115%. The wing spar is a little long for a 30" foam sheet but I can make it if I go diagonal. I had to splice some foam for the fuselage, but I put it in the front to avoid extra weight in the tail. At 115% the cavity cuts were only slightly off, like maybe a knife blade thickness which is less than my usual cutting error anyway. Thanks to all for the tips.
Keep us posted on the build!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Out of my hands. I'm waiting on Flite Test to give me the go ahead to release. Was asking once a week for the past month, but I think I am just annoying them at this point. Haven't asked in over a week. I have no idea when they will be available. Sorry I don't have a better answer.

RickyG

I finished up my FT Simple Stick this weekend. I installed LEDs EVERYWHERE! so I hope it will be a good night flyer. It was a very easy kit to put together. I outfitted it with the "B" pack. I printed SPONZ's control horn and remixed a firewall so the X Mount screws would fit better. I used some old "Zagi" tape I had lying around for the orange and electrical tape for the black trim. I need to find some bright/neon/lime green to match the old ultra stick scheme.

I glued strip of foamboard down the center of the fuse so I could mount the LEDs on both sides. It diffuses the light really well. I also put lights around the spar on the wings. I'm no sold on it yet, but I wanted to light up the elevator and rudder, so I slit the foamboard in half and doubled up the LEDs (so the lights are facing up on both sides. It came out okay, but should look better in the air. I wish it diffused better.

Airframe weighs in at 536g and because of all the LEDs I put in the tail, I'm using a 3S 2200mAh battery to balance it out. Flying weight is 730.9g. I hope to maiden it later this week.

Ricky

Attachments

• 20200928_194554.jpg
    20200928_194554.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200929_155232.jpg
    20200929_155232.jpg
    10.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200929_161612.jpg
    20200929_161612.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200929_161630.jpg
    20200929_161630.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 0

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I finished up my FT Simple Stick this weekend. I installed LEDs EVERYWHERE! so I hope it will be a good night flyer. It was a very easy kit to put together. I outfitted it with the "B" pack. I printed SPONZ's control horn and remixed a firewall so the X Mount screws would fit better. I used some old "Zagi" tape I had lying around for the orange and electrical tape for the black trim. I need to find some bright/neon/lime green to match the old ultra stick scheme.

I glued strip of foamboard down the center of the fuse so I could mount the LEDs on both sides. It diffuses the light really well. I also put lights around the spar on the wings. I'm no sold on it yet, but I wanted to light up the elevator and rudder, so I slit the foamboard in half and doubled up the LEDs (so the lights are facing up on both sides. It came out okay, but should look better in the air. I wish it diffused better.

Airframe weighs in at 536g and because of all the LEDs I put in the tail, I'm using a 3S 2200mAh battery to balance it out. Flying weight is 730.9g. I hope to maiden it later this week.

Ricky
Great build!

moke

Ricky
beautiful! I may copy your paint scheme

RickyG

Nice! I like that color! I was trying to stick to packing tape, but that looks close to the look I was going for!

Meanwhile... I maidened at dusk and at night. The hat cam struggled with the night flight, but the Flight Test Simple Stick flys FANTASTIC! With my setup (the B pack) running 10 year old 3S 2200mAh batteries I burn about 145 mAh per minute. I baby my batteries and like to land at 50% so 7 minute flight times for me.

Ricky

moke

Nice! I like that color! I was trying to stick to packing tape, but that looks close to the look I was going for!

Meanwhile... I maidened at dusk and at night. The hat cam struggled with the night flight, but the Flight Test Simple Stick flys FANTASTIC! With my setup (the B pack) running 10 year old 3S 2200mAh batteries I burn about 145 mAh per minute. I baby my batteries and like to land at 50% so 7 minute flight times for me.

Ricky
cool. one of the better flight videos I have found so far of simple stick.

cdfigueredo

Elite member

Ricky
Excelent!!!!

moke

Still kind of working this one backwards waiting for order of foam board.
Got tail end servos installed. Added wheel kit and tail wheel. And added some small carbon fiber tubes to reinforce vertical stabilizer. Picked that up from a previous post from another builder who suggested beefing up the stabilizer for aerobatics.

This has been a super easy build and I appreciate the forum's free plans and other builders guidance and advice.
20201004_151958.jpg

Attachments

• 20201004_151935.jpg
    20201004_151935.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

RickyG

ARG!!!! I got the floats ready to go only to realize that the foam I used to attach the LEDs interferes with the rear float mount... I was ready to do some night float flying and everything... Looks like I will have to build another! Until then I have it hanging proudly on my wall.

Ricky

Attachments

• 20201005_180335.jpg
    20201005_180335.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20201005_175925.jpg
    20201005_175925.jpg
    965.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20201005_174510.jpg
    20201005_174510.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 0

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
Still kind of working this one backwards waiting for order of foam board.
Got tail end servos installed. Added wheel kit and tail wheel. And added some small carbon fiber tubes to reinforce vertical stabilizer. Picked that up from a previous post from another builder who suggested beefing up the stabilizer for aerobatics.

This has been a super easy build and I appreciate the forum's free plans and other builders guidance and advice.
View attachment 180556
Is that built from @The Hangar's Simple Stick plans?