*Unofficial* FT Spear

Foamforce

Maidened my Spear! I was worried about the throw, but it was uneventful. It was a light toss, but the Spear was remarkably stable in the air and didn’t make any rolls or dives. It flew very confidently! It’s by far the loudest plane I have. Rolls were a little lethargic and I needed a fair amount of up elevator, but I think that’s because I balanced it toward the front of the C.G. range. It was certainly stable. So next time I’ll move the C.G. back.

The only issue I had was that the firewall broke off on two of my three flights. Fortunately I had a glue gun with me. I’m going to turn on the ESC brake and get a prop saver. Is that what everyone else does? Any other tips?

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
I've never broken a firewall. Did you ommit the packing tape? Suggest you review a build video for power pods. I don't bother with brakes except for motor gliders.

Foamforce

I've never broken a firewall. Did you ommit the packing tape? Suggest you review a build video for power pods. I don't bother with brakes except for motor gliders.

Nope, I used packing tape tape, same as all the other power pods. I followed the build video exactly.

Oh, I guess I didn’t say earlier that the firewall popped off when I landed, not while I was flying.

Maybe landing on slightly crusty snow is harder on it than grass? Or maybe the cold temperatures made the glue and tape more brittle. Still, it’s not an issue I’ve had with any of my other planes.