SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
FT Spear

FT Spear Forum.png

Description:
You can fit it all in the new FT SPEAR! This plane was designed to be able to carry all your gear when you fly! you can put your GoPro, board camera, 2 batteries, FPV gear, and even a vector system, if you have one. The Spear has a unique center console that is made larger and wider for the very purpose for storage. The larger wing allows for a larger payload compared to the FT Mini Arrow! This wing also allows for you to strap/tape bendable tripods with cameras for different ariel viewpoints if you are trying to get that epic shot! The Spear also is super stable and allows you to perform acrobatically challenging maneuvers with ease!

Release Date: 10/5/2016

Article: http://flitetest.com/articles/ft-spear

Release Video:

Build Video:

Plans: All-In-One | Full-Size | Tiled

Specs:
WEIGHT WITHOUT BATTERY: 1.45 lbs (658 g)

CENTER OF GRAVITY: 3 – 3.5” (76 – 89 mm) in front of firewall

CONTROL SURFACE THROWS: 16 ̊ deflection – Expo 30%

WINGSPAN: 41 inches (1041 mm)

RECOMMENDED MOTORS: 425 sized 1200 kv minimum

RECOMMENDED PROP: 9 x 4.5 CW (reverse) prop

RECOMMENDED ESC: 30 amp minimum

RECOMMENDED BATTERY: 2200 mAH 3s minimum

RECOMMENDED SERVOS: (2) 9 gram servos​

Speed Build Kit:
https://store.flitetest.com/ft-spear/

Power Pack C: https://store.flitetest.com/power-pack-c-fixed-wing-large/

Plywood Accessories: Coming soon

Super Spear: Check out mad scientist Chad Lewis' frankenspear (a.k.a. Super Spear) in the FT VLOG. Super Spear shows up a 6:12 in the video.

Last edited:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
FT Spear gets the FT Beta Builders seal of approval!

Spear Beta Builders.png

I love this wing! Hats off to Josh Bixler and the Flite Test crew for this one. It is everything the FT Blunt Nose Versa Wing should have been. No disrespect to the BNV, I've had several. But, I could never get a 2200 3S to fit in my BNV and be able to close the hatch. And balancing it without FPV gear required extra weight.

The Spear is a step up. The center section of the spear has a ton of room for battery (or two) and extra gear. Or, even a burrito. ;) When you get this thing up in the air though it really shines. The spear feels very locked in. My maiden required almost no trim and she behaved great right out of my hands. On the C-Pack setup it slows down to almost a crawl. Open up the throttle and it's a good intermediate flying experience. It won't break any speed records on the C-Pack with a 3S, but it is pure joy to fly. I will be trying it out on 4S soon. Hopefully, I'll have some FPV gear in it before winter as well.

On thing to note. I originally went crazy on the power setup with an NTM Prop Drive 35-36 1800kv, 7x5 APC prop and 3000 mAh 4S. I did not take into account the massive size of the elevons and the speed that this setup could hit. Needless to say, 9g servos will not be enough for that setup. If you want to go fast, you're going to need bigger servos. When I punched it I had absolutely no control. Luckily a tree jumped out and stopped it from getting too far away. Surprisingly, there were only a couple wrinkles in the foam. I was able to swap out the electronics with my C-Pack and fly it as-is. I plan to build a new one with metal gear servos and the speed setup. I'll keep you posted if I do. It was FAST! :)

Here is my Beta version of the FT Spear. Have I mentioned how much I like this thing!

FT Spear 01.png

Last edited:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Use this thread to discuss your experience building, flying and modding the FT Spear. Please share photos and videos of your builds. Join in the discussion and share in the fun. Let's make some memories!

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
Does anyone know if the speed build kit includes the little camera tray in the video? I definitely plan on building one of these, and if the tray comes with the kit I might buy the kit on this one to get the WP foam board.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Does anyone know if the speed build kit includes the little camera tray in the video? I definitely plan on building one of these, and if the tray comes with the kit I might buy the kit on this one to get the WP foam board.

Yes, you will get all the plywood parts with the speed build kit, including the FPV camera tray.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
The Build video and free plans are out now. I've updated the first post with the links. Again. please share your builds, mods, and experiences with the FT Spear here.

Yaroslaw

Dan, what is AUW with minimal (no fpv) setup? I'm trying to decide if emax Cf2822 1200kv could be enough for start (I have a bunch of them, and they can give up to 800g of thrust)

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Dan, what is AUW with minimal (no fpv) setup? I'm trying to decide if emax Cf2822 1200kv could be enough for start (I have a bunch of them, and they can give up to 800g of thrust)

It's listed in the specs as 658 grams, which I believe is pretty accurate. Mine came in at 662 grams with the C Pack electronics installed and a 2200 mAh 3S. I think 800 grams of thrust should do the trick.

copterholics

Love the design and teh work you've put into making the plans. Looking through my box of motors now to find some good gear for this build now. Been designing some 3D printed parts as i'm scratch building and don't have access to a laser cutter for the plywood pieces. Will post my files soon.

Cheers
Robert

richb2599

Thanks for the heads up on that Vector. I just ordered one also. Holy cow, a vector for $140! I couldn't resist.

jpot1

Elite member
Any thoughts on the optional center fins. Noticed them on the plans but they are not noted in the build video.

jpot1

Elite member
Kudos to Sponz - the plans are split perfectly to minimize the amount of taping for those of us that print out the tiled plans. In about 1.5 hours got the wings, spars, and the one center spar cut out. Looking to make this swappable using a smaller length power pod that I have similar to the one nerdnic uses. This will require notching into the center spar but I plan to reinforce with either a paint stick or carbon arrow. Pics when I get a little further.
IMG_0154.JPG

RAGII

Downloaded the plans and got them all cleaned up for my CNC cutter. Unfortunately, the flying season is quickly coming to an end here and I have a lot of other items on my plate. This may end up being a winter project.

jpot1

Elite member
Finished off the mods to make this swappable with my shorter power pod. Had to notch out the horizontal spar and strong box. Also cut the notches for the tabs for the power pod and added two pieces on either side of the power pod for the BBQ skewer. The skewer has to be just long enough or else there is not enough room.

IMG_0276.JPG

IMG_0279.JPG

Fits nice and snug. Not shown but in front of the strong box is a carbon arrow spanning the center section and extending into the wings to add back some rigidity lost by the notching out.