*Unofficial* FT Spear

richb2599

Anyone else building the Spear? I'm starting mine when I get back in town next week, but there's not much activity on this thread.

Rc high flyer

I scratch built the spear last Friday on my day off school. It went together great here is a time lapse of my build. I didn't make any of the tabs to hold down the hatch or the camera tray just used some tape to hold the hatch down and used a wooden ruler for the main spar and if flew great!

and here is the maiden

Last edited:
Printed out the plans on Friday and have been working on it on and off over the weekend.
The wing build is almost identical to building the arrow. The center area design reminds me a lot of the twin motor arrow built by lets fly rc, just offers a ton more room for motors. Great Job FT!

The build came together great. I am scratch building so I don't have the woodcut outs, but i used a 1/16 x 1/2 aluminum stock piece for the spar (got it at Menards for 2.99 for a 4 foot rod, and am going to use the rest to build a nerdnic wing) which should give it alot of stength.

I'll post some updates when I do the maiden, just waiting on some electronics...

Letsflyrc Arrow Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcJvUAUFoCI

Nerdnic using aluminum stock to build wing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGYTvf8UEvA

IMG_1766.JPG

anichhatre

FT Spear scratch build

Dear Flitetest team:

I just fished FT Spear scratch build and it looks great. I will have Maiden flight soon and hope it will fly well.
Thank you all for your efforts for your designs and builds for this great Hobby.
Please find attached photos for FT Spear Taped in Indian Tri-color :)

2600kv DYS motor with 6X4 APC prop
2200Mah Lipo 3S
40A ESC
2x9gram Servos

All unit weight 650gm.

Best regards
Aniruddha

Attachments

• FT Spear IMG_20161010_134055.jpg
    FT Spear IMG_20161010_134055.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 269
  • FT Spear IMG_20161010_134103.jpg
    FT Spear IMG_20161010_134103.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 268
  • FT spear IMG_20161010_134118.jpg
    FT spear IMG_20161010_134118.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:

copterholics

Hi there,

been doing some 3d modeling and printing over the last days. Cutting my wings right now and will see how the prints fit before posting them.

20161010_130530.jpg 20161010_130429.jpg

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
I may have gone overboard on the LED's, it's stupid bright. Makes a big glowing circle underneath it when flying around. Pretty cool effect. Might try and see if I can get any good night video.

copterholics

Still working on the design while my power pod is printing. I got so many Mobius and similar cameras floating around here so i decided to make this one also fit as well as thinking how to mount a 32mm board cam so it can be removed also.

Tell me what you think.

cheers
Robert

ft-fpv-pod-spear-001.jpg ft-fpv-pod-spear-002.jpg

Last edited:

magic_marty

Is anybody just taping the ailerons on the wings instead of using instant glue like in the build video? Just thinking that tape would be just fine and save a little time and complication to the build..

copterholics

Made some progress with the 3d printed files. Camera mount now fits also mobius and runcam2 style cameras. I can't test every camera but if the digital models i used for size are correct they should work. The 32m board cam slot came out a little to tight and i need to check if the mount will be visible in frame so this might need some redesign.

Anyway. Some images.

20161011_144558.jpg 20161011_144609.jpg 20161011_144619.jpg 20161011_144628.jpg

jpot1

Elite member
Is anybody just taping the ailerons on the wings instead of using instant glue like in the build video? Just thinking that tape would be just fine and save a little time and complication to the build..

I used hot glue as I ran out of super glue. Worked fine. Just had to make sure the glue made it all the way to the edge. This with the tape and the hot glue hinge really makes this a strong attachment.

Edwardchew

I may have gone overboard on the LED's, it's stupid bright. Makes a big glowing circle underneath it when flying around. Pretty cool effect. Might try and see if I can get any good night video.

That look so cool with the extra stabs at the middle!
Should improve the yaw wagging issue with flying too right? had a lot of that with FT Arrow especially on high wind.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
That look so cool with the extra stabs at the middle!
Should improve the yaw wagging issue with flying too right? had a lot of that with FT Arrow especially on high wind.

It's rock solid on Yaw, no waggle at all. I never tried to fly it without the center stabs so I don't know if there's any difference or not. I'd imagine it adds quite a bit more drag, but it sure looks cool.

Merrixs

Obviously this thing can fly, but does anyone else have an issue with how square and blocky the rear of the center section is? Is there a reason for this that has an aerodynamic property that I can not understand. I would think having the propellor spinning in that much "dead" air would be something to consider when designing. I would have to say that is the reason why this thing sounds so rediculously loud also.