Video Rig Upgrade

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
IMG_8474.JPG

Recently I added some hardware to my main video rig.
While I'm still saving up to buy a proper video camera these small low cost additon allow me to continue to use my action cameras.

When I was doing the Tundra project a few issues became clear.
The first one was the lack of monitor. The tiny 1.5" display was hard to see specially on the rig and due a lot of power from the camera's small battery.

The second issue was in the cold the internal camera battery would run down very quickly.

With the following gear I've manage to address both issues.

4.3 inch TFT LCD HD Digital Monitor Color Screen For Car Rear View Reversing Camera

Turnigy HD ActionCam FPV Live Video Out A/V Cable

Hobbywing 3A UBEC 5V 6V Switch Mode BEC For RC Models

7.4V -11.1V 2S-3S RC Lipo Battery low voltage Alarm Indicator

The whole setup is pretty simple and clean to do.

Additionally I used a JST connector, 2S battery, soldering gear, some heat shrink, electrical tape and zip ties.

Video from camera to the monitor.

First I removed the yellow AV1 connector from the monitor.
Then I soldered the USB video cables (white & green) to the monitor's wires.

5 volt power to the camera.

Next I wired the BEC 5V out to the USB power cables (red & black).
This provides a solid power source the camera. I can use 3S in a pinch but 2S will be easier on the system.

Battery power to both the camera and monitor.

The last step is the fiddly one. The wire a small so not a lot of heat is needed.
I used a JST connector which provides power to the monitor and BEC.

After that I used a piece of rod to support the screen on the rig.

IMG_8453.JPG IMG_8454.JPG IMG_8455.JPG IMG_8456.JPG IMG_8457.JPG

Zip ties and some electrical tape to secure all the wires.
I have a voltage alarm on the rig just for good measure as well.

It does a little weight and you may want to balance the setup so it does not tip over.

IMG_8474.JPG

aarongerhart

Hey man, might I suggest something?
Save up $200-$400, look for a Canon 60d, t2i, or t3i. They'll get you the most bang for your buck. Then, invest $100 in a 50mm f1.8 lens. That should really get you off the ground. And don't forget that audio is 50% of video work! A decent Rode on-camera mic will get you far, without setting you back too much.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Hey man, might I suggest something?
Save up $200-$400, look for a Canon 60d, t2i, or t3i. They'll get you the most bang for your buck. Then, invest $100 in a 50mm f1.8 lens. That should really get you off the ground. And don't forget that audio is 50% of video work! A decent Rode on-camera mic will get you far, without setting you back too much.

Things have progressed very nicely since the first post.
I still prefer the Zoom H1 mic. I feel it is a lot more reliable over a Rode.
It can record indecently of the camera (great back up) and allows me to hook in a lav mic.

aarongerhart

Zoom makes equipment with high quality preamps, that's for sure. How's the x-y mic format working for you? I've always preferred something a little more directional, but I also tend to shoot more event and narrative type videos. The x-y is great for vlogging and such.
I dig the little screen you found, too! Are you still running off of action cams?

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Zoom makes equipment with high quality preamps, that's for sure. How's the x-y mic format working for you? I've always preferred something a little more directional, but I also tend to shoot more event and narrative type videos. The x-y is great for vlogging and such.
I dig the little screen you found, too! Are you still running off of action cams?

I actually had to stop using the screen. My eyes kept looking at the screen vs the camera.

On the zoom, I used the H1's mic in my videos for along time and use it on the podcasts but for the videos as of late I've been wearing the clip mic.

I'll have to test the other mics I have access to later but I'm not really keen on the whole Vlog thing. My life is not that interesting ;)