What did you crash today

HilldaFlyer

I should post here more often... but it has been a while since I've had one good enough.

NEH55iKF0LnpvWEP3SJY7pWSvt_EuVKteY0Vyfe2w-3Be1_4RWhXq3_6dMNJMOG6ms41lPTVydy6C4F9P4ttUbFvEG3c0htzPh3tFX9Z9WJwkGWgdp_0nYgyFjXrR0uqmOiCKi4N

Something really went wrong... pulled up out of a dive and it looked like only one elevon functioned. It performed a really nice spiral into the ground. Darn... and I wasn't wearing my CapCam.... no vid
:(

HilldaFlyer

As fast is it could go... of course!
It was full throttle all the way down.
Without a way to measure... there is really no way of telling just how fast.

This looks worse than it would be for a normal wing. Fiberglass is really strong for the weight, but it is pretty delicate if made light. This Wing#5 was my successful attempt built an "Ultra Light" wing. Paper was removed from the foam and only the outside surface was skinned with 0.73 oz fiberglass. The spar was two 2 mm carbon rods with fiberglass sheer webbing. It weighed 14.2 oz. Structurally sound in the air, but it was not made to survive impacts with the ground.

foambasher

I do NOT like the ground
But of course!! Although I have been getting the feeling that planes are just made for crashing!;)
On this forum at least.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I crash my newly built FT Trainer every 3 seconds. It would be nice if I could fly longer than that LOL.

My beginning experiences were the same until I learned/was told, that the plane will fly itself without my help because it was designed to do that. My input was to make changes in direction, attitude and altitude through the controls.

When I stopped trying to fly it and started to direct/control it my skills really started to improve.

As for crashes today! Well not today but last week I was doing touch and goes with my ugly stick and after one rather hard bump into the ground I started to climb in order to start practicing my inverted circuits. At a height of about 60ft the battery and alarm "bailed out".

The plane flopped, looped, rolled, dived and stalled continuously until impact in a nose down attitude. Whist watching it descend and knowing there was no battery I found myself trying desperately moving the sticks on the transmitter in response to the planes attitude.:rolleyes: Damage was a few creases in the wing, a wing spar had let go, a badly damaged power pod and the undercarriage had started to detach.

Re-glued the undercarriage and the wing spar. Made and fitted a new power pod. Its now back in the air, (where it belongs), regularly. Of course now evaluating the battery securing mechanism for upgrade.:black_eyed:

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
The TT is a good plane but teaching yourself is hard if the plane isn't trimmed and balanced perfectly. As the person above alluded to, try letting it fly away on it's own under maybe 75% power. If it won't climb on its own with a good hand toss at launch you probably need some adjustments. On my well adjusted planes I can toss it can keep my hands at my sides while it climbs to altitude. Stick with it. I destroyed my first Champ and didn't try again for about 8 months. I got a Duet that was perfectly trimmed out of the box and had a successful flight right off the bat.

I crash my newly built FT Trainer every 3 seconds. It would be nice if I could fly longer than that LOL.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
There are some spectacular crashes here. The mustang? with the obliterated front is one of my favorites.

I need to learn to properly bank my mini Arrow. I should roll it, then pull up. Everytime I roll-pull, My timing is off by just long enough (roll rate to high) to not be pulling up as desired, but instead pulling down nose first and fast into the ground. This planes last crash (nose first) ejected the innards (battery, FPV cam, Etc.)through the front and disconnected the Fuselage from the wing base (poor glue job?). and folded it. Looked a lot like post #83. Last, one Servo looked like an instructional exploded diagram.

I never should've flown. I was cranky before I went out. This was the third plane that day I attempted to fly, and the 1st that was flight worthy. I saw the busted servo, and wing and took out my frustration on it, figuring I needed to rebuild anyway. Not a proud moment.

But looking at the Crash aftermath at home the next day was fun.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
My last flying day was a great day up until I loaded my last charged battery into my funfighter motored Version of the (Das) Ugly parkflier stick. It is a rocket at full throttle with unlimited vertical but I was getting bored so I was doing very low passes across the field and then climbing vertical until almost out of sight and then cuttine the throttle and floating around ot lose height and doing a dead stick low pass again.

On about the third pass I opened the throttle as usual and pull up into a vertical climb, (I was almost at stall when I opened the throttle). The plane behaved exactly as before until it reached a height of about 5 metres and then there was a loud bang just like an explosion followed by the sound of a chainsaw coming from my plane. I immediately cut the throttle pushed the nose down and managed to do a perfect dead stick landing.

Upon inspection the Plane had thrown a prop blade cleanly broken at where the prop blade joins it centre disk/hub. There was no way that the damage was due to an impact because I had a spinner fitted and there was no indentation mark or any mark what so ever around the hole where the blade was fitted.

The chainsaw noise was the unbalanced prop causing all sorts of high rev mayhem to the firewall. The BOLTS I had used to secure the motor had been pulled through the plywood firewall. What a mess!

At least it was something new to worry about!

Userofmuchtape&glue

Posted a thousand or more times
There are some spectacular crashes here. The mustang? with the obliterated front is one of my favorites.

I need to learn to properly bank my mini Arrow. I should roll it, then pull up. Everytime I roll-pull, My timing is off by just long enough (roll rate to high) to not be pulling up as desired, but instead pulling down nose first and fast into the ground. This planes last crash (nose first) ejected the innards (battery, FPV cam, Etc.)through the front and disconnected the Fuselage from the wing base (poor glue job?). and folded it. Looked a lot like post #83. Last, one Servo looked like an instructional exploded diagram.

I never should've flown. I was cranky before I went out. This was the third plane that day I attempted to fly, and the 1st that was flight worthy. I saw the busted servo, and wing and took out my frustration on it, figuring I needed to rebuild anyway. Not a proud moment.

But looking at the Crash aftermath at home the next day was fun.

Yup muy little mustang was a proper crash, to this day I can't understand why the motor is still going after 6 months of those crashes!

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I have crashed my mini corsair.

Well so far the plane had been flying very well aside from the bad reviews. So I was coming in for a low high speed pass followed by a shallow climb, and into a roll stop at 30~40 degrees in the direction you're going to turn, and climb out. (looks awesome by the way gotta try on my mini mustang) So any way as I was starting my pass a gust of wind blew across the plane and turned it into a knife edge position just 3-4 ft above the ground, and with no rudder crash!!!!!! into the ground the whole wing split right off the fuse. Why, you ask well, I wanted to make it light because other people said it is bad with extra weight, so not using a lot of hot glue until some lighter glue came in. so there is actually no badly damage section on the plane not the wing or fuse (but the wing had a tiny bit of crushed foam at the impact point), this is my crash story hope you enjoyed.

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
This one isn't recent, but my Banana Hobby F-35 is one of the most spectacular crashes that I've had a few months ago. Also put my Flightline Bearcat in a tree last weekend due to a failed aileron servo, but it will fly again. The F-35, not so much..
image_6706.jpg

HilldaFlyer

I really like those planes...
It always make me sad to see a commercially produced plane, scratch or a balsa plane in pieces because of the time and/or $$ put into it. That's why I really like the foam board stuff.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
This one isn't recent, but my Banana Hobby F-35 is one of the most spectacular crashes that I've had a few months ago. Also put my Flightline Bearcat in a tree last weekend due to a failed aileron servo, but it will fly again. The F-35, not so much..
View attachment 84007
Ouch! I guess that won't buff right out. So, are you scapping the frame or rebuilding or what?

@Griff, Oyu will rebuild right? I printed out the plans for a Corsair but haven't gone past that. Any thoughts/suggestions before I do?

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Ouch! I guess that won't buff right out. So, are you scapping the frame or rebuilding or what
No, its done.. Honestly, I would have bought another frame and rebuilt if it actually flew well.. It loved flying straight, and takeoffs/landings were a breeze, but it hated turning. At any significant bank angle, the higher wing stalled and the plane returned to level. Not easy to crank around for that turn to landing to say the least. And, I had about 4 months of modding into it that I don't want to redo. Completely rebuilt most of the airframe as it came. Added fiberglass intakes, scale retracts, servo operated gear doors, and a total repaint with all of the RAM paste lines like the real bird. Here is how it looked before its demise. Otherwise, I'll wait until there is a better version on the market..:
DSC_2670_edited-1.jpg
image-be00a4a3.jpg