What Did You Fly Today

Piotrsko

Master member
Well for starters, coroplast for everything FB, 1/8 or 1/4 plywood for everything else, aluminum or carbon arrow shafts for wing spars, 1/16 music wire in corrugations just because. Intent is to shred opposition props on impact and not suffer damage. Switch to master airscrew or top flite prop and take an efficiency hit because I've never broken one and they cut just as good. Combat style elevator protected by rudder extensions. Miss anything?

Wildthing

Legendary member
Well for starters, coroplast for everything FB, 1/8 or 1/4 plywood for everything else, aluminum or carbon arrow shafts for wing spars, 1/16 music wire in corrugations just because. Intent is to shred opposition props on impact and not suffer damage. Switch to master airscrew or top flite prop and take an efficiency hit because I've never broken one and they cut just as good. Combat style elevator protected by rudder extensions. Miss anything?

I had thoughts of doing one in coroplast , might just have to go get a sheet or two of it. The last couple Barons I did put .042 music wire into the leading edge when I folded the wing, it did save the wing from being sliced in two. I have been running the 10X5 APC props as a rule, very good thrust and I get about 6 to 7 minutes flying time and I cut a wide swath. Most of the other guys with same motor are running 8X6 , no where near as fast as I am but they go way longer. You might have to draw me a picture of the combat style elevator and rudder.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
See how you need to explore the SF props. You are beginning to recognize 3D is not top speed. It is matching the prop to the bird. Don't be stupid launching inverted yet. It will bite you and your plane. Here is what I want next.

Doing figure 8's, (up3 crash heights) I want you make each half the same dimensions(including keeping the same height) . Tell me exactly what is different and how did you adjust. And WHY?
When you think you got it, produce a video so I can see if I agree. Then we will address knife edges both left and right without crashing.

Another thing is for you to pay strict attention at all times, your too loose. Can you land(both left and right approaches) so that it is in front of you?

Here is one for you to ponder. A $1500 Plane is going away from you and LEFT aileron servo dies deflected half way down. How do you land without any damage?
I’ll keep on working on the identical halves figure 8’s. I can tell I’m improving, but I still am a long way from perfect halves. I’m unable to fly this weekend but I’ll probably be able to Monday, weather allowing. I would give left aileron to get it to fly level and bring it around to land using rudder.

speedbirdted

Legendary member
pond baby maiden today... It's too cold to fly off water so that will wait until spring. For now it's a wallhanger.

P_20191106_175224_HDR.jpg

Hoomi

Master member
Finally got back out to the flying field after nearly a month and a half. Two flights each with the Scout and the Stinger, and one flight with Air Hooterville. I thought about putting the Storch up for her maiden, but I waited until the breeze died down this afternoon to head to the field, and the angle of the Sun this afternoon was such that I was getting the shadow side of the planes through a lot of the pattern. Even with the bright colors of both the Scout and Air Hooterville, they were fading into the partially overcast sky. I figured that drab foamboard brown of the unpainted Storch would be worse, possibly making it very difficult to keep track of the plane's orientation.

Five flights, and no mishaps. :)
110919F.jpg

CameraMount.jpg

110919A.jpg

110919B.jpg

110919C.jpg

110919D.jpg

110919E.jpg

Hoomi

Master member
All your planes look great as usual, love to watch your vids as well. Is the Storch regular size or has it been reduced... or is it just the angle perspective? looks small compared to the Scout
The Storch is the regular size, with the nearly five foot wingspan. I'm toying with the idea of buying some dollar store foamboard and making a second wing for it, with LEDs installed for night flying.

sundown57

Legendary member
I didn't fly anything today. But it's ok because I could have if I wanted to. You see thanks to men like buzzbomb, His son and I'm sure many other veterans both in this forum and not, I get to live in ( arguably ) the greatest country on earth but for sure one of the freest. So id like to take a second out of my laid back day and just say ( Thank you all for that ).

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I didn't fly anything today. But it's ok because I could have if I wanted to. You see thanks to men like buzzbomb, His son and I'm sure many other veterans both in this forum and not, I get to live in ( arguably ) the greatest country on earth but for sure one of the freest. So id like to take a second out of my laid back day and just say ( Thank you all for that ).
+1
I want to add @PoorManRC to the list as well.