What Did You Fly Today

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Hat cam. I'll remove the landing gear since with it it's just too heavy to fly well. I have a GoPro hero 5 and it's pretty heavy, a lot more than your mobius.
Yea the GoPro is a much larger unit. I so want to fly that new Spear and see what it will be like to carry a cam. Looking at the way the BW is defined it would hold a GoPro, or any other cam easily in the cockpit for an authentic pilot view.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Yea the GoPro is a much larger unit. I so want to fly that new Spear and see what it will be like to carry a cam. Looking at the way the BW is defined it would hold a GoPro, or any other cam easily in the cockpit for an authentic pilot view.
Yeah, I should try to intrigarte that into my BW. I really want to keep this build as light as possible though.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
She’s ready, flaps and all!
0733CC50-FF47-4CF1-86E1-9FD93639CB5A.jpeg

Wildthing

Legendary member
Well at least south of the border they are doing something about their operation, somehow we just voted ours back in. No matter who you ask, and I have been coast to coast for work in the last term, no one admits to checking his ballot box. Yet here he is... again. It's if anything, entertaining to see what he will do next.
Ontario and Quebec hold the majority of the seats so as long as you can snow/bribe them you are in.

Hoomi

Master member

This is the Matecam 808 keychain camera that I use for my inflight videos. No wifi capability, but the camera is pretty inexpensive (I believe you can still find them on Amazon for under $30). They're lightweight, minimal profile, and remain plenty secure with just self-stick Velcro for mounting. It uses a micro SD card to store the video. Biggest drawbacks I've found with them are that the control button takes a little getting used to, and the video records in 2 minute segments.

The platform it's on in this photo is just some scrap foam board glued into an 'L' shape. There's Velcro on both surfaces against the plane (back of the cockpit, and top of the plane behind the cockpit), and Velcro on top to hold the camera.
AirHootervilleCam.jpg

And the view from this mounting.

AirHooterville110919.jpg

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Yeah you showed me this before, and my mobius was the same operation, took 10 minute clips though so I could get in a whole battery per clip. I had mounts with Velcro on the wings center and tips, and was able to point them in any direction. Forward, backward, towards the planes nose or tail. Have you seen my vids on my YT channel, link is in my signature. I did so many onboard vids that some said they got tired of seeing them lol. I still love the onboard stuff though, not only does it look realistic but you can learn a lot about what your plane is doing during flight.

Hoomi

Master member
Yeah you showed me this before, and my mobius was the same operation, took 10 minute clips though so I could get in a whole battery per clip. I had mounts with Velcro on the wings center and tips, and was able to point them in any direction. Forward, backward, towards the planes nose or tail. Have you seen my vids on my YT channel, link is in my signature. I did so many onboard vids that some said they got tired of seeing them lol. I still love the onboard stuff though, not only does it look realistic but you can learn a lot about what your plane is doing during flight.
I sometimes forget who I've shown it to. :)

I'm pretty much the same way with the onboard videos. I get home from flying, and review the video clips, often just for the fun of reliving the flights. Plus, there's always the aspect that the FT guys mention, that if a really spectacular crash occurs, we have it on video for all to enjoy.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I still watch my on board vids from time to time. I really like it and I have seen some really good footage of others doing the same, but from different angles onboard and on the ground. Then stitch it all together to make some pretty epic vids. Usually it takes a few flights to get one good video but it is worth the end product. I really like producing stuff I enjoy watching as opposed to what a few people say compared to what the majority doesn't say as it were.

speedbirdted

Legendary member
you know what the first snow of the year calls for...
9396_2.jpg

it turns out that when you try and do touch-and-go's on snow (specifically really loose powdery snow) floats tend to like to dig into the snow and stay there if you land a little bit crooked... hence why the sea angel is missing a float on one side. Didn't actually see it was gone until I noticed I was having to put in left rudder constantly to fly the thing straight!

Screenshot_20191112-180204_2.jpg

Pre-damage. I think this is the last flight this plane will ever have... it's more than a year old, hard to work on and really just starting to get worn out. Time to retire it to the wall.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
you know what the first snow of the year calls for...
View attachment 147905

it turns out that when you try and do touch-and-go's on snow (specifically really loose powdery snow) floats tend to like to dig into the snow and stay there if you land a little bit crooked... hence why the sea angel is missing a float on one side. Didn't actually see it was gone until I noticed I was having to put in left rudder constantly to fly the thing straight!

View attachment 147912

Pre-damage. I think this is the last flight this plane will ever have... it's more than a year old, hard to work on and really just starting to get worn out. Time to retire it to the wall.
I have a sea angel sbk that I am going to build one of these days. I traced out the plans and built one a while back and had a lot of fun with it. It’s a fun plane, but there are some mods I want to do to it to make it easier to work on. What motor setup were you flying on?

speedbirdted

Legendary member
I have a sea angel sbk that I am going to build one of these days. I traced out the plans and built one a while back and had a lot of fun with it. It’s a fun plane, but there are some mods I want to do to it to make it easier to work on.

There are some that are downright necessities - one 9 gram servo will overheat and die if asked to actuate two pushrods at once for the elevator setup (I have it running off two, so I can have tailerons if I really want to but I have it set up with a Y-harness) Bowden cables for rudder and elevator are also a necessity as the standard wire pushrods will tend to give out and bend under high load and will sometimes bind weirdly as they have to run through two sheets of foam. I also modified the plans slightly (I have access to a laser so I don't need the kit) to add holes in the bulkheads so I can access the speed controller and receiver through the battery tray since they'd normally be cocooned in there and totally inaccessible. ESC cooling is still a problem (though not one I had today since it was 4 degrees out) Mine also needed a lot of nose weight to fly properly.

What motor setup were you flying on?

Don't actually remember as for motor, I believe it was some no-name motor I bought off Banggood ages ago. I seem to remember it being 1050kv (or maybe 1400? It legit has no markings on it whatsoever) It got a little toasty on a 9x5 prop so it's running a 9x3.5 here I think. ESC is a YEP 30a. Batteries used were a Nanotech 2200 3s and Rhino 2200 3s (I'm testing the rhino to see if it's any good as it's a bit cheaper than the standard Turnigy stuff and so far it's holding up well)

Last edited: