What Did You Fly Today

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Here’s the vid from yesterday.
It's amazing how well these planes fly even after the hits they take. That Cub is a tank, given the shape it is in and still flies like new, in the air you put that plane up to a new Cub build and there would be no difference in performance.

In might be a little tail heavy because there was no landing gear on it, which also adds drag to the underside of the plane, countering a tail heavy effect.

L Edge

Master member
I started practicing for IMAC as I got approved by them for competition starting out in basic. I have got the 2020 basic routine downloaded and started practicing in the sim.

Which do you think will be the easies and toughest manuever for you? What about crosswinds? How good are you under pressure? Are you going to use a mentor or your dad for help?

L Edge

Master member
Here is the video. I had a blast!

Do you have rudder?
If so, you need to add lot of rudder (on the ground) to steer it straight. As the plane lifts into the air, you need to back off rudder so it doesn't yaw it to death. Just like the real cub, it uses the rudder to steer on the ground, then lifts the tail wheel off(as it backsoff rudder), continues
down the runway until V2 using small amounts of rudder for keeping it straight. Thats how you handle crosswinds.

Take your video and run the speed at .25 speed. Go to 40 seconds to about 44 seconds. Watch your roll. The plane started going to the left right away (right rudder would would correct(wheel no problem) the turn. As the plane starts, less rudder as airflow increases as speed takes over. If you can learn to handle rudder and intergrate it with throttle, ailerons,elevator, you will end up being a top notched pilot. Especially in the gusty winds.

By the way, I coached(mentored) a pilot who has won many competitions improving his small errors. It is all about aerodynamics and timing.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
It's amazing how well these planes fly even after the hits they take. That Cub is a tank, given the shape it is in and still flies like new, in the air you put that plane up to a new Cub build and there would be no difference in performance.

In might be a little tail heavy because there was no landing gear on it, which also adds drag to the underside of the plane, countering a tail heavy effect.
Yeah. It was hilarious- earlier flying that day every time I did a low pass the landing gear was lower and lower and finally when I pulled some high g’s I all of a sudden had retractable landing gear🤣

Vimana89

Legendary member
Maidened the rebuilt mini slender delta with 5x4x4 prop. Wind was like 17 mph with crosswinds and gusts, but I was impatient. Still got a whole plane that flew, but was totally sketchy and unstable and couldn't test anything with that crazy wind. It's got a 15/30" wing, 15 being the span, and is probably less than 8oz fully loaded, so the fact I was able to do a couple wobbly passes and land without the plane blowing away or crashing is a good sign(y)

OliverW

Legendary member
Which do you think will be the easies and toughest manuever for you? What about crosswinds? How good are you under pressure? Are you going to use a mentor or your dad for help?
My dad will be there coaching me through it. He has flown imac in the past. I am good under pressure. I flew a freestyle at an event and my throttle fail at the start and flew the rest full throttle.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Maidened the rebuilt mini slender delta with 5x4x4 prop. Wind was like 17 mph with crosswinds and gusts, but I was impatient. Still got a whole plane that flew, but was totally sketchy and unstable and couldn't test anything with that crazy wind. It's got a 15/30" wing, 15 being the span, and is probably less than 8oz fully loaded, so the fact I was able to do a couple wobbly passes and land without the plane blowing away or crashing is a good sign(y)
4 blade prop really helped with recovery I imagine

qwijibo

Maidened my newly 3D Printed "Eclipson Model V" today. Cold this morning, around 25f, but worth it!

Two batteries (about 7-8 minutes each) and it came home in one piece, so I'll chalk this one up as a success! :)

2019-10-26 15.38.23.jpg

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Maidened my newly 3D Printed "Eclipson Model V" today. Cold this morning, around 25f, but worth it!

Two batteries (about 7-8 minutes each) and it came home in one piece, so I'll chalk this one up as a success! :)

View attachment 148091
Beautiful bird! One would never know that it was 3D printed and not store-bought. Congratulations on your build and the maiden! :)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member

View attachment 148091
Great looking plane, do you just use it as a power up or do you slope with it as well?

Looks really nice, what's it's weight all loaded up and with what size of battery?
I agree with @Wildthing, My question is the same. 3D printed planes tend to be significantly heavier the FB, which works out while sloping or gliding depending on the wing loading, the more wind the better. Does it struggle in power up at all? Do you have any video?

Wildthing

Legendary member
Great looking plane, do you just use it as a power up or do you slope with it as well?

I agree with @Wildthing, My question is the same. 3D printed planes tend to be significantly heavier the FB, which works out while sloping or gliding depending on the wing loading, the more wind the better. Does it struggle in power up at all? Do you have any video?
Properly designed what they may add on for weight they gain in performance being aerodynamic , I have 2 3D printed planes from 3Dlabprint and they fly great. They are a tad more work to repair when you smuck them up but it can be done. My Spitfire which has about a 31" WS all loaded up is only 29oz or so. My P-38 which has flaps, retracts the works , 55" WS scales in around 70oz all loaded up. My foam A-10 with a 60" ws scaled in almost the same.

qwijibo

Take off weight on my build is 28oz, that includes the battery (3s 1400mah). 27oz is their suggested target.

On 3s it's not a speed demon, but it's pretty quick. At lower speeds it floats nicely, and I didn't notice any bad stall characteristics, although I only have 2 flights on it so far. I don't plan on doing any slope soaring, just powering up and messing about. It didn't struggle at all, and with the suggested motor had a pretty aggressive climb out. If you're curious, mine is printed in PLA (eSun Pla Pro).

I was by myself so don't have any video, but here's the web site for the model with more details... https://www.eclipson-airplanes.com/model-v

Last edited:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Take off weight on my build is 28oz, that includes the battery (3s 1400mah). 27oz is their suggested target.

On 3s it's not a speed demon, but it's pretty quick. At lower speeds it floats nicely, and I didn't notice any bad stall characteristics, although I only have 2 flights on it so far. I don't plan on doing any slope soaring, just powering up and messing about. It didn't struggle at all, and with the suggested motor had a pretty aggressive climb out. If you're curious, mine is printed in PLA (eSun Pla Pro).

I was by myself so don't have any video, but here's the web site for the model with more details... https://www.eclipson-airplanes.com/model-v
That's a pretty cool link, I want one. Gonna ask Santa for a 3D printer now