What Did You Fly Today

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
There are some that are downright necessities - one 9 gram servo will overheat and die if asked to actuate two pushrods at once for the elevator setup (I have it running off two, so I can have tailerons if I really want to but I have it set up with a Y-harness) Bowden cables for rudder and elevator are also a necessity as the standard wire pushrods will tend to give out and bend under high load and will sometimes bind weirdly as they have to run through two sheets of foam. I also modified the plans slightly (I have access to a laser so I don't need the kit) to add holes in the bulkheads so I can access the speed controller and receiver through the battery tray since they'd normally be cocooned in there and totally inaccessible. ESC cooling is still a problem (though not one I had today since it was 4 degrees out) Mine also needed a lot of nose weight to fly properly.

Don't actually remember as for motor, I believe it was some no-name motor I bought off Banggood ages ago. I seem to remember it being 1050kv (or maybe 1400? It legit has no markings on it whatsoever) It got a little toasty on a 9x5 prop so it's running a 9x3.5 here I think. ESC is a YEP 30a. Batteries used were a Nanotech 2200 3s and Rhino 2200 3s (I'm testing the rhino to see if it's any good as it's a bit cheaper than the standard Turnigy stuff and so far it's holding up well)
Ok, thanks for all the tips. My first sea angel was a c pack and I flew it off of 1500 zippy lipos and sometimes a 1000 mah zippy and it balanced well with them in the nose. Not much room in there to move things around lol. On V2 it will be a b pack motor (that’s what I have an extra of) and it will be a semi-swappable power pod with the esc in the motor nacell. That should be pretty good cooling. On v1 I did the elevator stock and didn’t have any issues but I’ll take your advice and try two servos. What did you do for rudder? If you had 3 servos back there that would explain the need for nose weight...

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Decent flight man. I see what you were saying bout the flaps though, pitched it straight up lol. I maneuvered fin other then that though.

What kind of wheels did you have it that it got weighed don so bad, definitely weren't LEGO wheels were they :LOL:
They are 3 inch DuBro tires I got at my lhs. They are really nice, and not too beavy but I have some thick and heavy wire plus all the wood supports. I might try flying with it again tomorrow. Oh, and what do y’all think of that last pic. Not a tail dragger any more! 😉
FF3CA1A1-1D88-4EB1-83ED-5E82D827BC34.jpeg
328836BA-77E3-4995-9DFF-12FF2F52B685.jpeg
01BC0301-43A0-432D-AD0A-248DD48DF98C.jpeg

Attachments

• 01A80360-8209-4433-B2C4-8B6269BFFFF1.jpeg
    01A80360-8209-4433-B2C4-8B6269BFFFF1.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0

speedbirdted

Legendary member
What did you do for rudder? If you had 3 servos back there that would explain the need for nose weight...

Other than a bowden pushrod the rudder setup is standard. I had the rudder servo in the center with the two elevator servos on either side with their splines at the back and horns facing inward as it would minimize turns the pushrods would have to make, while the rudder servo had its spline at the front, and the outer most hole on the servo horn was enough to clear the elevator servo horn on one side.

You could also try a larger servo with a linkage stopper to hold both pushrods at once, I considered trying this but did not.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Other than a bowden pushrod the rudder setup is standard. I had the rudder servo in the center with the two elevator servos on either side with their splines at the back and horns facing inward as it would minimize turns the pushrods would have to make, while the rudder servo had its spline at the front, and the outer most hole on the servo horn was enough to clear the elevator servo horn on one side.
Thanks. Any chance you could post a pic when you take it apart? (If you are)