What hobby did you give up to get into flying?

EricRice

Noobalicious
Y'all are speaking my language with the firearms (except for that Tec9 ;)). I was such a big fan, I broke into the industry and make a living developing firearms products. I shoot less often than I used to, but haven't given it up ('Murica!), mostly because of a new baby. Great thread idea.

I was a fan of RC as a kid, and I built thousands of paper, and balsa/paper planes back then (anyone remember WhiteWings?), but I recently was brought back into it due to all the political power grabs that echo what's happening with firearms. My electronics and IT background got me into all the recent advancements in the hobby. I believe sUAS are the future, whether we like it or not, and I plan to be a part of whatever the federal government wants to ban. We're all in this together.

To the topic, I'd say I gave up sleeping.

Today, I introduce the family to their first FT build. Perhaps we can make it fly by this afternoon. Big thanks to FT and the community as a whole.

BodgeIt

Berfore RC, all of my spare money went on cars. Or at least, tyres. It started when I was 19, when I bought a 200sx (240sx in america) s13, with a ca18DET making roughly 280bhp at the rear wheels. Within a month I had welded the diff, purchased coilovers and 3 sets of spare wheels. At track days I would use around 20 tyres a day but most of them were part worns so £5 each.

After that, I bought a s14a. This is where it got expensive. I became obsessed with car set up, spending £600 on all adjustable lower arms so I could play around with camber, caster and toe along with the £1000 coilovers. I then spent a unspecified amount (I dont dare add it all up) on the engine and a new turbo, and a paddle clutch to handle the extra power. Another £1000 on new wider wheels to give me more grip as it would spin the rear wheels anywhere below 70mph. Again, track days would see me use up to 20 tyres, but this time it was a mixture of new and part worn as 285's were hard to find. I will see if I can find a pic :)

I sold that as if I continued driving it every day, I would have lost my license. I now drive a civic EP3 type R, as its relatively fun but not fast enough to get me into trouble.

Edit: The s14a:

Last edited:

510thousandths

Just someone else.
Mentor
Very nice, I had a s14 for many years. Sold it after I had basically used it up. The frame got soft, the diff was terrible sloppy, top end was starting to make noise. Sold it to a kid who had hopes of putting a 180det into it. Best car I ever had...except for tires. I don't think I ever got more than 10,000 miles out of a set of tires.

And absolutely the worst car on snow, ever. I had a 2wd ranger that I thought was bad until I got the s14.

I miss the s14. Still my favorite car I have owned.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I'm thinking about cutting back on RC planes and saving up for a nice (full scale) simulator set up. Nothing super fancy, but a Yoke controller, rudder pedals, and a switch panel. (Amazon sells those combined for $365.)

rcspaceflight

This thread got me into iRacing. I just started and I'm using my RC Flight Simulator controller for it. lol. Throttle is throttle. Rudder left is shift down. Rudder right is shift up. Elevator down is brakes. Ailerons is steering. Works pretty well. I'll buy a steering wheel for it once I have the moneys.

Failed God

Learning to fly
I gave up Bass playing when i left my band. I'm still into photography, snowboarding, mountain biking, Geocaching, and i am just getting into flying Rc

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
I play guitar and was in a band in college but have only owned 3 guitars and a bass in my life and I still own them all. I am into photography but I am not an equipment junky. I used to play poker but that made me money. 100-200 a month for a few years. RC flying is the first hobby to make me break out my wallet. It came at a good time to have an activity to share with my 12 and 14 year daughters. My parents also supported it with some significant gifts (Delta Ray for me and Sport Cub S for the kids - and me ).

rcspaceflight

I didn't stick with iRacing for very long. It was fun, but ... I only played it (a lot) for about a month.

After getting rid of my drum set a few years ago, I plan on buying a Tama Cocktail Drum Set soon. It can actually fit in my bed room and should still be a lot of fun. I also have 3 guitars and a bass guitar. I'm strongly considering getting into making royalty free music for people to use for FPV videos.

SnowRocker88

Amateur pilot and builder
Not trying to be funny but I thought it was ironic so I would share.

I too have 3 guitars and a bass. 2 electric and one acoustic/electric.

rcspaceflight

Why do we all have 3 guitars and a bass? Weird.

I have a $40 7/8 Rouge acoustic guitar. I only bought it because I never had an acoustic and I'd rather go super cheap than okay-expensive. Then 2 electric guitars that I customized each. One for looks, the other for sound.

I want to get rid of my 5 string bass and get a 4 string. I haven't a clue on what to get. I don't want to spend too much on it, but I don't want it to sound horrible.

SnowRocker88

Amateur pilot and builder
Why do we all have 3 guitars and a bass? Weird.

I have a $40 7/8 Rouge acoustic guitar. I only bought it because I never had an acoustic and I'd rather go super cheap than okay-expensive. Then 2 electric guitars that I customized each. One for looks, the other for sound.

I want to get rid of my 5 string bass and get a 4 string. I haven't a clue on what to get. I don't want to spend too much on it, but I don't want it to sound horrible.

I got my first guitar from a yard sale. Was like $20 or something. Fender Telecaster. Either one that had a hard life or a fake. Standard pick guards don't fit it and the pickup selecector is all ghetto...it's rough but I love it.

Second was the acoustic/electric. Because that's what you should really learn on if you don't want to drive your parents crazy. It's an Austin. Not sure of the model but it's been a great guitar.

Third was a nicer electric. It's a Galveston LP (Les Paul replica) but it's an acrylic body guitar. Beautiful and sounds well but WEIGHS A MILLION POUNDS!! I enjoy playing it but it's not very practical at all. It's more of an interesting piece to decorate a room.

The bass is a 4 string Court. Bought it off a friend in High School that was selling it cheap. I actually really enjoy playing the bass too. More of a funky jam session.

rcspaceflight

I got rid of my first guitar. It was an Ibanez, don't remember which model. I actually gave it away for free because I had it completely apart. I had no need for 3 electric guitars so I just got rid of it. I thought the body on it was too big to be comfortable to play unless standing. (Even though it wasn't that big at all. My second guitar was just a lot more comfortable.)

My second guitar is a Peavy Raptor. I bought it because it was the cheapest (new) guitar I could find. I was going to put a bunch of different pick ups in it, but I ended up only having one. It's weird because it has a single pick up, no knobs at all (I didn't want any), but it sounds amazing with distortion. Plus it's a very comfortable size/shape/weight. I think I spend $120 on the guitar and $60 on the pickup.

My third guitar is a Epiphone I bought for $100. I removed the body and replaced it with a skateboard.

(Then finally the acoustic mentioned earlier.)

My bass I bought from a friend when I was in high school. I bought it cheap. Even then I would have preferred a 4 string, but it was a cheap 5 string so, why not?

Another note. I recently bought Ernie Ball M-Steel strings and broke the D string way too soon. Which is very disappointing because they're supposed to be a lot stronger. I'm going back to regular Ernie Ball (Hybrid Slinky) strings. It was probably just a bad string, but spending twice as much and have that happen is discouraging when I didn't notice a difference between the strings.