What? It's Not a Mini? Simple Scout Build

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Yep. Stepping up the game. It only gets better from here! This is what I've got so far.

IMG_0281.JPG

@thenated0g 264kb. Not bad. You are right. The pic still looks great. For those of you who aren't in the know, I'm referencing this thread:

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/how-to-quickly-resize-pictures-before-uploading.57953/

Meanswhile, time to heat up the glue gun! :p

mayan

Legendary member
You are making me want to get the electronics put back into my Simple Scout and go practice ground landings and takeoffs again. Ohh well I still owe @Arcfyre a ground takeoff, circut of the field and back into a landing, so I guess it won't be long til my electronics go back in that plane :).

Arcfyre

Elite member
You are making me want to get the electronics put back into my Simple Scout and go practice ground landings and takeoffs again. Ohh well I still owe @Arcfyre a ground takeoff, circut of the field and back into a landing, so I guess it won't be long til my electronics go back in that plane :).

Darn right you do. Sitting here, patiently waiting ... ;)

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Oh, it'll be four channel. It's just so much more fun! :p Rain on Friday and for days afterwards. Then the field will be too wet to fly for more days. I'm hoping to finish her today and try to fly it tomorrow (Thursday), before the rain comes. Battery is charging as I type this. 2200 mAh 3s. She'll be running a 2212 motor with a 20amp ESC and sporting a 10-inch prop.

If I can get the build done, I'm going to try to program a switch on the trans so I can change rates on the fly, but that is a project unto itself. We'll have to wait and see on that one.

My mother inadvertently named her when I showed her the size difference between the Mini and the Simple. The Mini Scout was named "Glory." The Simple scout is going to be named "Glorious!" How cool is that?!

mayan

Legendary member
Oh, it'll be four channel. It's just so much more fun! :p Rain on Friday and for days afterwards. Then the field will be too wet to fly for more days. I'm hoping to finish her today and try to fly it tomorrow (Thursday), before the rain comes. Battery is charging as I type this. 2200 mAh 3s. She'll be running a 2212 motor with a 20amp ESC and sporting a 10-inch prop.

If I can get the build done, I'm going to try to program a switch on the trans so I can change rates on the fly, but that is a project unto itself. We'll have to wait and see on that one.

My mother inadvertently named her when I showed her the size difference between the Mini and the Simple. The Mini Scout was named "Glory." The Simple scout is going to be named "Glorious!" How cool is that?!
Your an addict as well, uhhh? Welcome to big sized planes. Tip you could also run the Simple scout with a smaller mah battery makes her a slower flier. Love the name too :).

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
She balances, though it took some doing.

IMG_0283.JPG

My 2200 mAh batteries are just a tad to big for the design, so she's a bit nose heavy. I can move that quarter back a bit, I just had to step away. It's almost 4am and I am done for the evening.

To make the battery fit, I had to modify the wheel mount a bit, and now it's held on by a velcro strap. I had to add another velcro strap to keep the battery in place, and it is way too close to the prop for my liking, but it can't go back any further if I want to retain the landing gear.

When I build my next one, I'll move the tail servos more the the rear and that'll help the balance. Don't worry about the control surfaces. They got moved around trying to get everything balanced, but they are squared when the servos are centered. I think she'll fly.

She is every bit of the pirate plane her stickers suggest. As mentioned, her name is "Glorious." She may be not be beautiful, but to me, she is every bit of her name. I can not wait to put her in air.

Oh, @Hai-Lee? I took your advice to heart (for once) You were absolutely correct. All my careful red and blue striping looked all the same color when the ambient light was wrong and it made it extremely difficult for me to fly. Glorious has one red stripe running down her right wing, two running front to back underneath her right wing, and one running up the vertical stabilizer on the right.

There are no stripes on the left. There are in fact stickers that bear no resemblance to a stripe, whatsoever. Given the scheme I've got, if I can see it well enough to make out stripe from little black blob, It should help enormously. Or I'll crash miserably. That is ALWAYS an option! :p

mayan

Legendary member
To make the battery fit, I had to modify the wheel mount a bit, and now it's held on by a velcro strap. I had to add another velcro strap to keep the battery in place, and it is way too close to the prop for my liking, but it can't go back any further if I want to retain the landing gear.
Have you tried placing the battery over the b shaped part of the wires of the landing gear and Velcroing it all together?

I love the scheme you put to it. I want to see the beautiful bird fly :).

Oh, @Hai-Lee? I took your advice to heart (for once) You were absolutely correct.
Finally :ROFLMAO::LOL:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
No flight today. No strength. I could hardly walk. The Doc is working on it. Rain forecast tomorrow through the weekend. Field will be too wet on Monday. We'll see what happens midweek. *sigh* :(

mayan

Legendary member
No flight today. No strength. I could hardly walk. The Doc is working on it. Rain forecast tomorrow through the weekend. Field will be too wet on Monday. We'll see what happens midweek. *sigh* :(
That sucks, sorry for you brother.

kilroy07

Legendary member
Yea, weather is iffy here as well. No rain (well, it’s raining right now) but high winds expected....