What wing should I use?

I wanted to make a wing for a UAV I wanted to build, it is part of a bigger project which will be fully autonomous. If any experienced builders can give me a few types of wings that I should build, I would really appreciate it. I was thinking about a KF airfoil or something easy and thin like that. The build I was going for is like this.
1600655754288.png
I found this in an old post from 2013 in a thread a while back.

leaded50

Legendary member
IF are bigger build, you need plywood eg. reinforced spar(s) juts a KF foil in some wingspan want hold up in such a straight thin wing.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
The type of wing is dependent on your goals. If you want long flight time, use a long narrow wing, that is one with a high aspect ratio, 10:1. If you want a heavy payload, use a shorter wider wing, a lower aspect ratio, 7-8:1.

A Kf wing has a good glide slope, an Armin wing has a better glide slope.

Both dowels & carbon fiber tubes make great spars.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Like again as @Merv said the KF wing can be reinforced by burying a CF or dowel spar into it. As you said they are easy to build, are super effective, and if reinforced right can be super strong to hits and damage. I was skeptical of them at first till I tried them and they work awesome, use them all the time, have two at the moment.
20200904_204523.jpg 20200906_214133.jpg
Now these are flying wings but the principle is the same

Timmy

Legendary member
The type of wing is dependent on your goals. If you want long flight time, use a long narrow wing, that is one with a high aspect ratio, 10:1. If you want a heavy payload, use a shorter wider wing, a lower aspect ratio, 7-8:1.

A Kf wing has a good glide slope, an Armin wing has a better glide slope.

Both dowels & carbon fiber tubes make great spars.
agreed

danskis

Master member
Used carbon arrow shafts work well if you can find them at the archery store. I got some for a buck a piece. They don't need to go the full length of the wing....somewhere around 2/3. I'd go for the armin wing.

danskis

Master member
You MAY be able to use a foam box spar if you reinforce it with wood or bbq squewers. Build the foam spar first and then glue the wood to it. Wood can be a yardstick, paint stirrers, overlapping bbq squewers. Adding dihedral adds a stress point which needs to be reinforced. What your really asking is: is my wing strong enough to support my wing loading which is dependent on a lot of things.

You MAY be able to use a foam box spar if you reinforce it with wood or bbq squewers. Build the foam spar first and then glue the wood to it. Wood can be a yardstick, paint stirrers, overlapping bbq squewers. Adding dihedral adds a stress point which needs to be reinforced. What your really asking is: is my wing strong enough to support my wing loading which is dependent on a lot of things.
I agree since my wing loading should not be TOO heavy, Im going to have a flight controller, GPS, receiver, and 2 2200mah 3s batteries along with a few extra electronics. However the FC,GPS, aspd sensor, etc. will not be heavy cause the new matek FC's and electronics barley weigh anything. the most weight is the batteries.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I agree since my wing loading should not be TOO heavy, Im going to have a flight controller, GPS, receiver, and 2 2200mah 3s batteries along with a few extra electronics. However the FC,GPS, aspd sensor, etc. will not be heavy cause the new matek FC's and electronics barley weigh anything. the most weight is the batteries.
Of course you already know the weight you are going to be putting into it but at 1500mm is around a 5 foot WS, which means you will be creating lift on the wingtips as well. This will create a lot of leveraged torque directed right to the center of the wing where it attaches to the fuse. Of course the whole wing will create the lift to evenly distribute the work throughout the wing but the center is where you will see the stress. The FB spar will be somewhere around 60" which is two full sheets wide, having a joint in the middle, creating that weak point. That is what will need the reinforcing. At that center point is where I would put the paint stick, same as the FT Storch actually, model your wing after that.

Sorry i was thinking out loud there, if the message doesn't make sense... need coffee

Of course you already know the weight you are going to be putting into it but at 1500mm is around a 5 foot WS, which means you will be creating lift on the wingtips as well. This will create a lot of leveraged torque directed right to the center of the wing where it attaches to the fuse. Of course the whole wing will create the lift to evenly distribute the work throughout the wing but the center is where you will see the stress. The FB spar will be somewhere around 60" which is two full sheets wide, having a joint in the middle, creating that weak point. That is what will need the reinforcing. At that center point is where I would put the paint stick, same as the FT Storch actually, model your wing after that
I might start building the wing today if I finish all my work after school and ill show you what it looks like with pictures.

Of course you already know the weight you are going to be putting into it but at 1500mm is around a 5 foot WS, which means you will be creating lift on the wingtips as well. This will create a lot of leveraged torque directed right to the center of the wing where it attaches to the fuse. Of course the whole wing will create the lift to evenly distribute the work throughout the wing but the center is where you will see the stress. The FB spar will be somewhere around 60" which is two full sheets wide, having a joint in the middle, creating that weak point. That is what will need the reinforcing. At that center point is where I would put the paint stick, same as the FT Storch actually, model your wing after that.

Sorry i was thinking out loud there, if the message doesn't make sense... need coffee
Jut a side note, doesn't the wingtip lift create wingtip vortices and cause induces drag on the wingtips, If not correct me pls and let me know if I'm wrong.