• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Whats the best and cheapest rc plane for me to start with

Ok i have been watching ALOT of flight test and i really want to start flying. ( i already have a rc truck but i think flying will be something new) i saw some of the swapables and i was wondering if that would be a cheap easy and durable first flyer for me to start with

For a flitetest plane, I say the nut ball because its very easy to build and loads of fun.

For an RR, which is what I would recommend for a first plane, the Hobby King AXN. Easy to assemble, easy to repair, and will grow with you. And fun.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Last edited:
Best and cheapest do not really belong in the same sentence. The E-Flite Apprentice S is probably the best trainer out there right now. But it is around $300. Swappables can be made under $100 for everything but you are really cutting it short in the radio dept if you go that cheap.
For cheap and good, I think the best balance is the Hobbyzone Champ. Have to fly it on a very calm day but other than that it is a good trainer for right around $90. It taught me how to fly and is still very entertaining as skills improve.

RoyBro

Mentor
For a plane, start by building the FT Flyer from scratch and buy the power kit from LazerToyz. $55
For a radio and receiver, if you don't have one, Hobbyking has 4 and 6 channel kits for under $30. These are good enough to use with several of the swappables.

That's the cheapest way to get started. If you have more funds, the previous suggestions may be a better way to start.