Solved Why do we now have to pay for Plans now?

CappyAmeric

Elite member
I'm just wondering what that * mean in "Access to obtain select FT build plans* "
As a European guy, access to FT goodies is rather prohibitive. Beside the US price, we have to pay 20% VAT, shipping and customs. So a $200 A10 Warthog can go easily to $350. There is a dealer here, Lindinger.at, but they usually have only the cheap stuffs. I remember I once bought a box of foam from them and I paid almost double than a US customer. And that was after a 6 month waiting as because it was out of stock.
I already built most of the master series airplanes, including a four props and a 2 jets A 10, but I want more :) I really appreciate what FT did for the community in general, and for me in particular. I would happily pay $25 a year to have access to the entire plans database. Does anybody knows what plans do you get for this amount? I mean do I have access to the latest jet airplanes?
Any models that were designed after July 2020 are only in speed build kits EXCEPT for a few that were put into plans also. Those plans sell on the FTCA web site for FTCA members. They are usually about $6 for the plans. There are no Master Series plans on FTCA. The only Master Series plans are here on this forum (the pre-2020 models: P-51, P-38, P-47 etc.).

Bottom line: FTCA members do not have access to all plans. The plans that are at FTCA are models designed after July 2020, and none of of them Master Series.

Tzicul

Not good :( However, I can understand them. But to pay $200 for a F14 kit and God knows how for the rest (very possible another $200) ... not gonna happen. Instead I would happily pay not $6, but whatever amount FT wants to pay for a specific plan. I understand that I have to pay for it, any R&D cost money. Just an ideea. Anybody from FT here? :)

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Not good :( However, I can understand them. But to pay $200 for a F14 kit and God knows how for the rest (very possible another $200) ... not gonna happen. Instead I would happily pay not $6, but whatever amount FT wants to pay for a specific plan. I understand that I have to pay for it, any R&D cost money. Just an ideea. Anybody from FT here? :)
They have discussed this openly on their podcasts. Newer Master Series will not be available as plans. If you want to find blame, you can blame foreign copyright violators.

Tzicul

It's not about blame, they have the right to do whatever they wants with their property. But this won't be a problem for whoever wants to steal from them. They can buy a kit, scan it and put it into production. It really is not that difficult

RedTwilight

I was hoping to be able to get some of the Master Series as plans so I could enlarge them and build Giant versions.
I guess I will have to do it the old fashioned way now.

Hey guys, please know that not releasing plans is something that was NOT an easy decision. If there was a way to put plans in the hands of hobbyist and prevent counterfeit products the team would be all for it.

It is basically restricting foreign hobbyists out of FT family. Buying a kit is not an easy affair in most countries, for example while Josh says Foam Board is a couple of bucks worth in US, in UK and India You do not get it.....& similar stuff is way more costlier. Hence, we used to scratch build while optimising costs and materials using FT Plans. Moreover, We used to build, discuss, talk, learn and share a lot of info and memories with the larger community as we used to scratch build using Free Plans. This gave a sense of one big worldwide community to all hobbyists.

Now with only Speed Build Kits being a viable option, the Community shall mostly be having an ingroup of those with easy access to Speed Build Kits. Larger community outside of this, shall have no practical discussion on newer builds on this forum, no clue in newer build techniques and scratch building which was once the start of why we used to relate to Flitetest shall go away as well.

Anyone can trace out plans from speed build kits and produce counterfeit - restricting plans does not solve this IP issue. If it is all about monetizing, all plans can be available at a small fee of $5-10.

I believe the solution is offering plans for all ft planes for a small fee; while for speed build kits solution is looking at improving the game of unit economics and brand - with this McD, BurgerKing are still the first go-to options for even a highly common item like burger. Flitetest is a superb brand, and I am sure that folks shall prefer buying Genuine FT Speedbuild Kits given the reasonable pricing and brand value of the experience that Flitetest Shares.

Tench745

Master member
It is basically restricting foreign hobbyists out of FT family. Buying a kit is not an easy affair in most countries, for example while Josh says Foam Board is a couple of bucks worth in US, in UK and India You do not get it.....& similar stuff is way more costlier. Hence, we used to scratch build while optimising costs and materials using FT Plans. Moreover, We used to build, discuss, talk, learn and share a lot of info and memories with the larger community as we used to scratch build using Free Plans. This gave a sense of one big worldwide community to all hobbyists.

Now with only Speed Build Kits being a viable option, the Community shall mostly be having an ingroup of those with easy access to Speed Build Kits. Larger community outside of this, shall have no practical discussion on newer builds on this forum, no clue in newer build techniques and scratch building which was once the start of why we used to relate to Flitetest shall go away as well.

Anyone can trace out plans from speed build kits and produce counterfeit - restricting plans does not solve this IP issue. If it is all about monetizing, all plans can be available at a small fee of $5-10.

I believe the solution is offering plans for all ft planes for a small fee; while for speed build kits solution is looking at improving the game of unit economics and brand - with this McD, BurgerKing are still the first go-to options for even a highly common item like burger. Flitetest is a superb brand, and I am sure that folks shall prefer buying Genuine FT Speedbuild Kits given the reasonable pricing and brand value of the experience that Flitetest Shares.

All past free plans are still available at no cost. Select new plans are available for a fee from the FTCA.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Plus if you check your FTCA member perks there is a $6 off coupon, making the plans free. I'm not sure if there's a limit, but I've downloaded several.

Last edited:
I agree that there are free plans - And over the last decade we all have built many of our birds from those.

Just wondering if in the next decade, would anyone relate to Flitetest for Scratch Builds like we do.

Foreign Folks in the community were mostly aligned to scratch builds as kits were too costly for us with all duties and tax. Now our scope with Flitetest is highly restricted with new plans being very selectively released.

Plus if you check your FTCA member perks there is a $6 off coupon, making the plans free. I'm not sure if there's a limit, but I've downloaded several.
I actually have very little practical benefit here in India from the FTCA membership - Laws and Compliance are different, Discounts on Kits is still not viable due to huge duties. Hence, the pain of entering a new decade without much newer plans.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
I actually have very little practical benefit here in India from the FTCA membership - Laws and Compliance are different, Discounts on Kits is still not viable due to huge duties. Hence, the pain of entering a new decade without much newer plans.
Many epople, like me, will post free plans of their dessigns, still jsut as good as the flitetest ones.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
@ScarletScout

Legacy Flite Test (Free) Plans: All of the plans that have been released by Flite Test for free from 2012-2020 will remain available for free. These are not going away. They are a great resource for anyone getting started in the hobby or getting started with building foam board models. There are plenty of options available with over 70 models ranging from beginner to advanced. Recently the Scout XL was made available for free to the community as well.

Flite Test Plans: As far as I know, all of the new Flite Test designs will be made available for purchase through the FTCA. Those include planes designed by Josh Bixler, David Windestål, Peter Sripol, Andres Lu, Alex Zvada, David Jester, etc. Some recent examples would include the Tutor, Flerken, Nano Flerken, Millennium Flerken, Mini Old Fogey, and 3D XL. You can become a member of the FTCA for free if you want to be able to purchase the plans.

Master Series Plans: The Master Series planes are not designed directly by Flite Test, they are designed in partnership with John Overstreet (Flite Test Midwest) and Flite Test. Those plans are under the control and ownership of John and they are currently not being made available as plans either for free or for purchase. There are a few early Master Series planes that have free plans available. These include the F4U Corsair, P-47 Thunderbolt, P-38 Lightning, Supermarine Spitfire, and the P-51 Mustang.

There are also many plans available from the community to choose from. Check out 13th Squadron, The Hangar RC, and the Resources section of the forums for examples.

@ScarletScout

Legacy Flite Test (Free) Plans: All of the plans that have been released by Flite Test for free from 2012-2020 will remain available for free. These are not going away. They are a great resource for anyone getting started in the hobby or getting started with building foam board models. There are plenty of options available with over 70 models ranging from beginner to advanced. Recently the Scout XL was made available for free to the community as well.

Flite Test Plans: As far as I know, all of the new Flite Test designs will be made available for purchase through the FTCA. Those include planes designed by Josh Bixler, David Windestål, Peter Sripol, Andres Lu, Alex Zvada, David Jester, etc. Some recent examples would include the Tutor, Flerken, Nano Flerken, Millennium Flerken, Mini Old Fogey, and 3D XL. You can become a member of the FTCA for free if you want to be able to purchase the plans.

Master Series Plans: The Master Series planes are not designed directly by Flite Test, they are designed in partnership with John Overstreet (Flite Test Midwest) and Flite Test. Those plans are under the control and ownership of John and they are currently not being made available as plans either for free or for purchase. There are a few early Master Series planes that have free plans available. These include the F4U Corsair, P-47 Thunderbolt, P-38 Lightning, Supermarine Spitfire, and the P-51 Mustang.

There are also many plans available from the community to choose from. Check out 13th Squadron, The Hangar RC, and the Resources section of the forums for examples.
Thanks for the guidance. That sounds promising and relaxing. 🤩.