WIP: Swappable Piper PA-12 Super Cruiser

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
Wow! It is so impressive to see a project go from an idea to this, in such a short period of time. That's it!; any spare time I have from now on will be dedicated to SketchUp.

thatjoshguy

Wow! It is so impressive to see a project go from an idea to this, in such a short period of time. That's it!; any spare time I have from now on will be dedicated to SketchUp.

Well it definitely helps me when I plan things, I've most often used it for projects around the house like framing in a new closet and whatnot. It's free, and I'm sure there are worse things you can do with your free time - at least messing around learning SketchUp and eventually be productive! Even if I never build all the things I've planned (One day, MAME arcade cabinet... one day...) it's still nice to know you COULD do it if you wanted to!

augernaught

Augernaught
That is taking shape Very Nicely!!
Good work on the paint scheme too, looks real classy.

One thing I worry about though, is that it looks like you
attached your tail skid right to the actual rudder.
I can see how that might even give you some ground steering
but the hinges on these foam board builds are a bit of a weak spot.
A few harder landings might cause the hinge to tear
and the rudder to remove itself.

A few small strips of that clear fiberglass reinforced duct tape at the bottom
of the rudder where it meets the fuselage might help prevent issues, for a while...
I like to use that cloth sports tape on the length of all my hinges for peace of mind too.
Its strong, sticks well, and takes paint better than any plastic tapes.

Last edited:

Jaxx

I would like to design a DT foam-board C-130. At first, because of the round fuselage, I didn't it would be possible to build a scale looking model, but after seeing some of the scratch-builds (with round fuselages) that were designed by forum members, I now believe it is possible. I know I'm still a long way from making that a reality, but that's my goal.

thatjoshguy

That is taking shape Very Nicely!!
Good work on the paint scheme too, looks real classy.

One thing I worry about though, is that it looks like you
attached your tail skid right to the actual rudder.
I can see how that might even give you some ground steering
but the hinges on these foam board builds are a bit of a weak spot.
A few harder landings might cause the hinge to tear
and the rudder to remove itself.

A few small strips of that clear fiberglass reinforced duct tape at the bottom
of the rudder where it meets the fuselage might help prevent issues, for a while...
I like to use that cloth sports tape on the length of all my hinges for piece of mind too.
Its strong, sticks well, and takes paint better than any plastic tapes.

Thanks! My painting skills are rough, but I'll get there. I minwaxed first, then used acrylic craft paint. I'd like to find something to seal it with above the paint too. Maybe more minwax?

That skid will eventually have at least a skewer glued to it, or maybe even a wheel - yes the idea was to make it steerable. Usually I do use strapping tape on my hinges, but I didn't with this one because it was supposed to be a prototype build. Got carried away when it started looking half decent though :)

augernaught

Augernaught
It's a good idea to reinforce the fuselage where the bbq sticks for the wing bands
and power pod poke through. They can tear the foam board pretty easily
in even a light crash. A banded wing might be enough to torque open the holes on it's own
once you try some higher speed maneuvers and aerobatics.

That gift card plastic is a popular material for this.

augernaught

Augernaught
Thanks! My painting skills are rough, but I'll get there. I minwaxed first, then used acrylic craft paint. I'd like to find something to seal it with above the paint too. Maybe more minwax?

That skid will eventually have at least a skewer glued to it, or maybe even a wheel - yes the idea was to make it steerable. Usually I do use strapping tape on my hinges, but I didn't with this one because it was supposed to be a prototype build. Got carried away when it started looking half decent though :)

I used clear Krylon Fusion for plastics spray paint to over coat my final paint scheme on my FT Spit.
I made custom decals with the Testers decal kit and wanted to protect them.
You can find it at just about any hardware store or wally world
in clear flat, satin, and gloss.

It's easier to apply the spray than go over everything again with minwax,
unless you have an airbrush to put the minwax on.
The Fusion spray dries in 5 minutes though,
and for an impatient guy like me, that's a huge plus!!!

I used the gloss to make the air frame nice and slippery.
Hope that shows up in these pics.

DSCF2674.JPG DSCF2678.JPG DSCF2676.JPG

Last edited:

Jaxx

I use the gift cards as well (I buy blank white ones). They seem to add quite a bit of strength to the air-frame. I also use them on the inside wall of my power pod to reinforce the foam around the hole for the BBQ skewer. I drill the hole just a little small so that I get a really good friction fit. Then I don't have to worry about the skewer coming out during flight.

augernaught

Augernaught
I use the gift cards as well (I buy blank white ones). They seem to add quite a bit of strength to the air-frame. I also use them on the inside wall of my power pod to reinforce the foam around the hole for the BBQ skewer. I drill the hole just a little small so that I get a really good friction fit. Then I don't have to worry about the skewer coming out during flight.

I don't Know Jaxx? That friction fit idea sounds good but,... vibration is a strong force!

"Go Ask Chad" if he wished he used 2 pieces of fuel tubing, or even a double wrapped #32 band,
around his power pod bbq stick exactly 7 minutes into this OEM Flitetest video??

It is a common practice and recommendation to do so now, and has been mentioned
in some Flitetest videos taken after this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A_HJXmwLQ4

NewZee

Thanks for the ideas! I tried several ways to get the servos into the tail section, but it really is pretty tight in there. Your model seems to be a good deal larger than mine, and my fuselage is just a bit wider than the power pod (as thick as the foam core on either side).

I like the idea of a popsicle stick on the rudder to stiffen it up, so I may try that. It will fit with my current measurements already. I'm trying to stick to readily available parts/materials as much as possible so that anyone can build this model. For instance, I've designed the landing gear to be similar to the other swappables in that it is made with piano wire, but has a poster board cover to get the look right. Still nice and bouncy too.

My last real concern is the wing. In my current design the wing is glued on. I happen to like that, but the more I think about it it may be better to hold the wing on with rubber bands similar to how NewZee has done. The design doesn't change much, jsut glue the wing or add sticks and bands... guess I can leave it as an option.

If anyone wants an early copy of the plans I can post them. Can't guarantee they'll be super easy to follow but if you have a good eye you can probably figure it out. I'll eventually write up instructions, maybe do a build video with sketchup animations :)

The rubberbanded wing also allows great access to the inside of the fuse, and that comes in very handy in making battery connections, and mounting receivers etc. and also securing the powerpod!

Jaxx

I don't Know Jaxx? That friction fit idea sounds good but,... vibration is a strong force!

"Go Ask Chad" if he wished he used 2 pieces of fuel tubing, or even a double wrapped #32 band,
around his power pod bbq stick exactly 7 minutes into this OEM Flitetest video??

It is a common practice and recommendation to do so now, and has been mentioned
in some Flitetest videos taken after this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A_HJXmwLQ4

The friction fit actually works really well. It takes a little effort to insert and remove the BBQ skewer. In the video, I believe Chad forgot to even put the BBQ skewer into the plane.

augernaught

Augernaught
The friction fit actually works really well. It takes a little effort to insert and remove the BBQ skewer. In the video, I believe Chad forgot to even put the BBQ skewer into the plane.

OH Dude,
think about what you saw, and what you are saying,
VS the first thing out of their mouths on the video at 7 min.
(David was joking about Chad forgetting to put the peg in, BTW, that's why it was funny)

If he had no bbq peg in the plane, the power pod would have took off like a rocket
after tearing itself right out of the front of the air frame, and left Chad's Spit 5 feet in
front of him on the ground the second he launched it,
while his pod spun around like a Ginsu blender on synthetic marijuana.

Seriously, Brother!
Do you think for a minute the sketchy little alignment tabs would hold that pod onto the plane
long enough for him to do the stuff he did in the air before the peg let go??????

ALL of the pull/stress/torque is on that pod,
and that little peg is the only thing that holds it to the air frame.
The tabs only help to align things, and that's all they do, just like the two pegs at the motor mount.

Please introduce me to your science/physics teacher(s).
I want to slap his/her nose right off of their face for not educating you
enough that you just said what you did, and actually believe it.

Oh, Jaxx. I am so disappointed in you right now,
I don't think I could feel any worse if my puppy got run over by a car...

Now get yourself some fuel tubing or #32 bands before you hurt yourself or someone else, would ya'
Pretty please with hot glue on it???

Last edited:

thatjoshguy

So anyway, about these plans... ;)

Here is version 1 of the template. This reflects my current build, issues and all. I am releasing this now in the hopes that the community can help me improve upon it. Obviously I have yet to fly this as my build is still incomplete, but I'm fairly certain it'll do just fine.

Also included in the ZIP is a SketchUp file with the completed plane. It's a little strange to look at since the materials lack depth, but should help you picture how it all goes together until I write up instructions.

Again, there are issues with this build. The tail is functional but needs some attention, the turtledeck templates aren't 100% correct, and I have yet to finalize how to attach the wing support bars - but it's a start.

Attachments

• ThatJoshGuy Piper PA-12.zip
    778.6 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

augernaught

Augernaught
So anyway, about these plans... ;)

Aw come on, thatjoshguy LOL!
My whole spank Jaxx post had not so hidden meaning in it related to the/your plans.

Plans? .PDF or it's all photoshop and mirrors.....

Don't keep us waiting,
Think of my puppy!

Fuel tube and #32 bands, josh. tell me I am wrong with a straight face! Dare you!

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
OH Dude,
think about what you saw, and what you are saying,
VS the first thing out of their mouths on the video at 7 min.
(David was joking about Chad forgetting to put the peg in, BTW, that's why it was funny)

If he had no bbq peg in the plane, the power pod would have took off like a rocket
after tearing itself right out of the front of the air frame, and left Chad's Spit 5 feet in
front of him on the ground the second he launched it,
while his pod spun around like a Ginsu blender on synthetic marijuana.

Seriously, Brother!
Do you think for a minute the sketchy little alignment tabs would hold that pod onto the plane
long enough for him to do the stuff he did in the air before the peg let go??????

ALL of the pull/stress/torque is on that pod,
and that little peg is the only thing that holds it to the air frame.
The tabs only help to align things, and that's all they do, just like the two pegs at the motor mount.

Please introduce me to your science/physics teacher(s).
I want to slap his/her nose right off of their face for not educating you
enough that you just said what you did, and actually believe it.

Oh, Jaxx. I am so disappointed in you right now,
I don't think I could feel any worse if my puppy got run over by a car...

Now get yourself some fuel tubing or #32 bands before you hurt yourself or someone else, would ya'
Pretty please with hot glue on it???

Acutally a friction fit on a holding peg works quite well, since the pod pulls against it, tightening the hold. Yeah, a safety of a band or fueltube stopper won't hurt, but as long as the hole hasn't been wallowed out (which does happen, way too easy :p ) it should still hold pretty well. I also try to use the larger sized skewers for this peg -- larger surface, gives a better grip -- and have mounted a popsicle sticks on the inside of the pod to keep the hole on the pod from wallowing out.

As for Chad's Spit-turned-glider, I think he got lucky -- He probably had the battery wedged into nose between the pod and the wing, holding the alignment tabs in place. when the tabs finally gave way to the stress, the pod launched and the free-flight glide began.

As for slapping, feel free to slap my 9th grade Earth/space science teacher (not EarthSciTeach, who apprears to be quite good at his job) -- he was the school football coach and probably deserves it for how poorly he taught science . . . and football. Now my HS physics teacher would likely go a round or two in reply, but then again, he also taught his students ;)

Back OT! Josh, nice plane -- very scale look! Thanks for the plans!

Jaxx

Josh,
This has got to be the fastest turn-around time I’ve seen on a set of plans! Thanks for sharing, and including us as a part of the testing process. I look forward to building this bird.

augernaught

Augernaught
OK. it was mention after the fact that the peg slipped out, by the FT team,
(wallowed hole/lose fit/after failed friction hold)
and it was even brought up to use fuel tubing as an extra safety measure,
which was a user submitted idea praised by the FT team.

Jaxx, go ahead and slap me in the face, on camera. The slap (challenge) happy Sweed is leaving in April(?)
and somebody has to fill that gap!?! Just don't step on my puppy
when you back up to wind up, but then just swing away. SaaaaMACK!!!

But for now, PLANS PLANS PLANS!!!!! Yeah buddy!

augernaught

Augernaught
Holy schamoley Josh, those plans look amazing!!!!

Finally! the L-4 Grasshopper of my dreams ever since I was a little boy
can become a reality!!!

http://www.militaryplanes.co.uk/grasshopper.html

Slap me again Jaxx, just so I know I'm not dreaming all of this..
(watch out for the puppy tho)

Thank you so much, Josh!!!

OUTSTANDING JOB!!!!!!!!!!!

AW hell, I'm just going to slap myself a few times and get it over with.

Last edited: