WIP: Swappable Piper PA-12 Super Cruiser

NewZee

Well I'm inching ever closer. Got the Y cable in for the wing servos. Fixed the wing and the wing supports, and wired it up.

View attachment 19921 View attachment 19922

Issues have arisen however... namely, it's freaking heavy.

here's the specs:

AUW = 451g w/battery and motor
Wingspan = 40.5 inches
cord = 6.5 inches
total wing area = 263 inches

I have 8x4 and 9x5 DD props. Currently have a 3S 800mAh battery and a Turnigy Plush 18A ESC.
The only motor I have is this http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=2069

I'm trying to use WebOCalc to determine if this will fly or not, but I really do not understand it all yet. Does the weight of the place affect how many amps the motor will draw? I've read about 30 posts all trying to explain this and it is just not clicking yet.

from what I've been seeing in the reviews of that motor, a 9x6 prop will generate about 15oz of thrust at about 7Amps. The motor specs say it is rated for MAX 7.5 Amps. Is that amp draw even across the board, or only at max throttle?

Oh, and the landing gear still sucks. not strong enough to keep it steady. I'll need to fool around with a new design for that, but at this point I'd be happy to belly land it if it meant I could get it in the air!

Maybe its just me but how could you not have tried it!!! I think the best way to see if your motor has the B**LS is to take off the landing gear throttle up and chuck it! I bet it flys!

thatjoshguy

Maybe its just me but how could you not have tried it!!! I think the best way to see if your motor has the B**LS is to take off the landing gear throttle up and chuck it! I bet it flys!

2% fear of failure, 98% fear of 12mph winds with 15mph gusts. Friday was the best day we have had so far, and it wasn't ready yet :(

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I'm trying to use WebOCalc to determine if this will fly or not, but I really do not understand it all yet. Does the weight of the place affect how many amps the motor will draw? I've read about 30 posts all trying to explain this and it is just not clicking yet.

from what I've been seeing in the reviews of that motor, a 9x6 prop will generate about 15oz of thrust at about 7Amps. The motor specs say it is rated for MAX 7.5 Amps. Is that amp draw even across the board, or only at max throttle?
The weight of the plane will not affect amp draw at all, the only thing weight will do is keep you on the ground. The calculator asks for weight so it can determine thrust to weight factors. And the most amp draw will happen at full throttle. Your prop speed and size are going to be the main determining factors in amp draw. Too large a prop, or too steep in pitch, will cause the motor to try to work harder than it can and will make the motor draw too many amps. Basically the motor will draw amps based on load, the prop is what determines the load. The faster you spin the prop, the more load it will create. Same with pitch and diameter, more is more load and will make the motor draw more amps. The ESC and the battery will only supply the motor with what the motor asks for, so as long as the prop is sized correctly to the motor, and that combo is sufficient enough to pull the weight of your plane, the only thing left is to add a battery and ESC that will safely supply the motor with what it needs.
I don't know if that helps or if it makes it more confusing...

Last edited:

thatjoshguy

Well I maidened, if you can call it that. Two things: plane is tail heavy even with battery all the way forward, and the 8040 prop just wasn't cutting it. Plane is in two pieces now, but salvageable. Didn't catch it until after I crashed, but the prop was pulling loose from the prop saver at high throttle and going off balance, so there was a sudden loss of thrust. Two launches, both immediately went nose up, stall left, nose in the grass. Second was hard enough to rip the wing off. Good thing I had the FTFlyer with me to make sure the trip wasn't a total waste.

NewZee

Well I maidened, if you can call it that. Two things: plane is tail heavy even with battery all the way forward, and the 8040 prop just wasn't cutting it. Plane is in two pieces now, but salvageable. Didn't catch it until after I crashed, but the prop was pulling loose from the prop saver at high throttle and going off balance, so there was a sudden loss of thrust. Two launches, both immediately went nose up, stall left, nose in the grass. Second was hard enough to rip the wing off. Good thing I had the FTFlyer with me to make sure the trip wasn't a total waste.

Sorry to hear that hope you can rebuild her and get the CG further forward? maybe try a ground take off to eliminate any torque roll? I fight the same thing every time I fly my Cub? and need some right rudder on take off.

thatjoshguy

Yes, I can rebuild. This time I'll be a little more patient and get the ground control right so I can take off properly. Should also have the larger props this afternoon, so I'll see if they fit the prop saver better. Won't get to fly for a while, so I have time.

thatjoshguy

I've gone back to the drawing board to address standing issues with this design vs. simply gluing it all back together.

for those with SketchUp, here is a copy of the plans v2.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6f1c66vbmah2gtw/piper%20pa-12%20v2.skp

I've simplified the build a good deal actually. I've removed the curved hood on the front and opted instead for flat surfaces. I don't think it takes away from the looks that much. That, and the removal of all those glue tabs should make for an easier build. They didn't seem to add that much strength. I've also opened up the top of the rear under the turtledeck to reduce weight.

I've also increased the wing dihedral from 3 degrees to 6, and modified the elevator for a little more strength.

Last night I built some landing gear using piano wire and a coffee stir with another piece of wire through it to act as an axle. It's sturdy yet flexible, and it looks the part. I may try again tonight to see if I can simply solder a wire across the gear as I have shown in this file, and have the wheels spin independently of one another. I think if I use lighter gauge wire I'll save some weight, as well as gain some flex while retaining strength.

piper pa-12 v2.jpg piper pa-12 v2_2.jpg piper pa-12 v2_3.jpg

VAND3R

I've got a question,
I'm working on a build and want to know how I translate the plans from sketchup to pdf.
Thanks
and good luck with the cub!

thatjoshguy

I have yet to find a decent way to do it in free SketchUp, but you can do it in SketchUp Pro, even with the free trial.

I flatten the model first using the Flatterly plugin, then set the camera to top view, Parallel Projection. In Pro you can export a 2d image and choose AutoCAD DXF. I then place into Adobe Illustrator, setting the scale of 1 unit = 1 inch, then setting line width to 1.

FeWolf

Excellent work, well done and you have plans to share with all, that makes you even better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thatjoshguy

does flattery work on the 2014 version? I can't seem to get it.
Sorry If I am pestering you. :p

Not pestering me at all, the more people who know how to do this the better!

Download Flattery from here: http://www.pumpkinpirate.info/flattery/

Then change the extension from .ZIP to .RBZ

Load sketchup, and go to Window -> Preferences. Click Extensions, then Install Extension. Choose the .RBZ file we just renamed and it should install. May need to restart Sketchup to see it, may also need to right-click the toolbar and and select Flattery to see the tools.

VAND3R

Not pestering me at all, the more people who know how to do this the better!

Download Flattery from here: http://www.pumpkinpirate.info/flattery/

Then change the extension from .ZIP to .RBZ

Load sketchup, and go to Window -> Preferences. Click Extensions, then Install Extension. Choose the .RBZ file we just renamed and it should install. May need to restart Sketchup to see it, may also need to right-click the toolbar and and select Flattery to see the tools.

I have tryed all of the above and I am still not getting the toolbar.
I will try downgrading to sketchup 2008 and see if it works, I couldn't find any documentation on flattery working on 2014.
Thanks!

VAND3R

Ok so that worked
gotit.PNG
but because I saved in SU 2014 I can't open in SU 8 So I will just have to Redo it, it's fine by me.