WIP: Swappable Piper PA-12 Super Cruiser

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
Augernaught,
There will be no slapping of faces! By the way, my physics teachers did not appreciate that comment:). On a serious note, the last thing I want to do is derail this great thread with a topic that we don’t completely agree on (although I do believe you have some valid points). Now, who is going to be the first to complete this build?!!!!!

augernaught

Augernaught
This is the song that pops into my mind right now.
(yeah, I'm an old fart from way back then/ half a century ago)
It's what I will sing to my foam board L-4 while I print, cut, glue, build, paint,
and then fly the Beautiful thing!!!

Just remember, I will be talking to my plane/build, not anybody else that don't got boobz. Got it?
It's all about the catch phrase:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHLJGoKGkiQ

Last edited:

augernaught

Augernaught
Augernaught,
There will be no slapping of faces! By the way, my physics teachers did not appreciate that comment:). On a serious note, the last thing I want to do is derail this great thread with a topic that we don’t completely agree on (although I do believe you have some valid points). Now, who is going to be the first to complete this build?!!!!!

There MUST BE slapping of faces, I guess you just have not seen the FT challenge videos I referred to.
You can't derail a post like this after PLANS like those anyway!

Just let me take my glasses off first.

Puppy.

Last edited:

augernaught

Augernaught
LOL, I love how using the word PLANS (in caps no less) keeps us on topic :)

Puppy

Two puppies, and a fuzzy kitty.

PS: trust me brother. Nothing said here or even in the confessional booth
is going to take away anything from what your beautiful plans deserve.

but this: PLANS PLANS PLANS PLANS. (and yes, that's me screaming it out as loud as I can)

That's just going to force the search engines to look... 4 times more at this post and
configure it accordingly, towards the top of it's search list.

Puppy too...

"oh jeeze, he is typing in caps! This person must be infectious and insane!!!"
OOHH NOOO! everybody run away before he infects you with his CAPLOCK disease!!!!

duh.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Breathe Auger, breathe! Take out all that excitement on the foam! ;)

(why do I get the impression his Piper is going to turn out like a paper snowflake . . .)

augernaught

Augernaught
Breathe Auger, breathe! Take out all that excitement on the foam! ;)

(why do I get the impression his Piper is going to turn out like a paper snowflake . . .)

OK brother.
I'm reeling it in and cleaning the hooks off.
Packing it up and heading for shore,
where I can use the BBQ spears for what they were intended for.

Sorry, but this plan/build of josh's has me truly excited! And I just can't hide it. (he he)

I'm not sharp enough to understand what the paper snowflake thing means tho,
but I know how I am going to paint my example now.......

I'll let the neighbors beautiful little children cut out paper snow flakes,
and use them for masks of white over the dark Navy ocean blue overall color
that spoiled Admirals getting them to shore.

And they will all know the name of, thatjoshguy !

Some of them brought puppies too tho!

Well done, thatjoshguy !

This design should turn into the trainer kit everybody keeps talking about,
and asking for........... in a speed build kit on the store front...........

Last edited:

thatjoshguy

OK brother.
I'm reeling it in and cleaning the hooks off.
Packing it up and heading for shore,
where I can use the BBQ spears for what they were intended for.

Sorry, but this plan/build of josh's has me truly excited! And I just can't hide it. (he he)

I'm not sharp enough to understand what the paper snowflake thing means tho,
but I know how I am going to paint my example now.......

I'll let the neighbors beautiful little children cut out paper snow flakes,
and use them for masks of white over the dark Navy ocean blue overall color
that spoiled Admirals getting them to shore.

And they will all know the name of, thatjoshguy !

Some of them brought puppies too tho!

Well done, thatjoshguy !

This design should turn into the trainer kit everybody keeps talking about,
and asking for........... in a speed build kit on the store front...........

LOL, I'd settle for the Joshes reviewing it on the show!

Now that the plans are out there in the wild, Anyone have any ideas on how to improve on it?

thatjoshguy

Got the power pod situated last night. Had to trim some from the front of the plane as it was making contact with the prop - when I designed it I didn't have my motors yet! Not too big an issue though. Still need to get the servos in place and wired, and the pushrods made.

I also need to rebuild the standard landing gear I had made for the swappables - the wire they sell with the kit isn't strong enough not to flex under the weight of my 800mAH battery it seems, so the prop was hitting the wheels on the FT flyer. I may just do without for a while.

Anyway, more to come this weekend - but for now here's a shot of my fleet!

IMAG1704_1.jpg

Last edited:

thatjoshguy

Servos in place, pushrods made. Forgot to order a Y cable for the aileron servos with the other parts, but should have one by next weekend. Definitely going to need the wing supports on this one, so I still need to get those on as well. Getting close though!

thatjoshguy

IMAG1716.jpg

Pic from today, that top coat of minwax sure made it shiny :)

Deviated from original plans for the landing gear as the glue wouldn't hold since I minwaxed the fuse first. Oops. Oh well, part of the fun is going with the flow!

Last edited:

NewZee

So "Thatjoshguy" what motor, ESC, battery combo are you going with on the piper? my Cub uses an NTM 26 28 1200KV motor with a 25A ESC and a 8X6 prop. (this is the same as I use for my Spitfire and Old Fogey expect I use a 9X6 prop on the Spit and a 9X4.7sf for the Fogey. Looks like your getting real close to the maiden! VIDEOS PLEASE!!!

Nice job, Good Luck!

thatjoshguy

I'm pretty new at all this, so I only have a couple of the hexTronik 24gram 1300kv that FT recommends on the swappables. I have a couple 8x4 DD props, but I just ordered some 9x5 as I've read they will do okay on that motor, and give me a little additional thrust. ESC is the Plush 18A, and for batteries I'm starting with 3S 800mAh as I thought they were a good mix between flight time and power/weight.

If anyone could recommend a motor/prop combo that runs on an 18A ESC but would give me even more thrust I'd be glad to hear it, I'm still learning how to choose combos.

I had hoped to maiden this coming weekend, but forecast is calling for yet another snow storm... GRRRR.

I at least got to maiden the FT Flyer on Friday, which was nice but kind of strange (no crashes though!). I had never flown before (besides a quadcopter), although I've been flying in games and simulators for years (RealFlight and Phoenix). I found the lack of ailerons off-putting, so I'm really wanting to finish this one and get it up in the air where it belongs.

Last edited:

NewZee

I'm pretty new at all this, so I only have a couple of the hexTronik 24gram 1300kv that FT recommends on the swappables. I have a couple 8x4 DD props, but I just ordered some 9x5 as I've read they will do okay on that motor, and give me a little additional thrust. ESC is the Plush 18A, and for batteries I'm starting with 3S 800mAh as I thought they were a good mix between flight time and power/weight.

If anyone could recommend a motor/prop combo that runs on an 18A ESC but would give me even more thrust I'd be glad to hear it, I'm still learning how to choose combos.

I had hoped to maiden this coming weekend, but forecast is calling for yet another snow storm... GRRRR.

I at least got to maiden the FT Flyer on Friday, which was nice but kind of strange (no crashes though!). I had never flown before (besides a quadcopter), although I've been flying in games and simulators for years (RealFlight and Phoenix). I found the lack of ailerons off-putting, so I'm really wanting to finish this one and get it up in the air where it belongs.

I think a 1300KV motor with a 3S battery and a 8X4 or 9X5 prop would work fine! I'm surprised your battery is so small? I'll bet you'll want a 1300, 1800, or even 2000 mAh soon to give you longer flight times. on a plane the size and weight of the piper? I hope your design has made allowances for installing a larger battery, while keeping the CG correct, this is something I planned for in my Cub design.

Last edited:

thatjoshguy

I think a 1300KV motor with a 3S battery and a 8X4 or 9X5 prop would work fine! I'm surprised your battery is so small? I'll bet you'll want a 1300, 1800, or even 2000 mAh soon to give you longer flight times. on a plane the size and weight of the piper? I hope your design has made allowances for installing a larger battery, while keeping the CG correct, this is something I planned for in my Cub design.

I'll probably upgrade eventually. I think the CG will be okay, there's plenty of room for a larger battery using the standard swappable pod. A few posts back I mentioned I needed to trip off a bit from the nose since I had misjudged the depth of the motor - if the CG needs to move a bit closer to the front the plans could be modified pretty easily to scoot the power pod forward about an inch.

Forgot to mention, I'm going to glue the wing down. Since the cab tapers in at the top, there's not a lot of area on top for the wing. The wing supports will most likely be required as well, but I don't mind that as they are a big part of the plane's looks. A short Y on the aileron servos, and a couple of four-six inch extensions on the elevator/rudder servos is all you need to be able to make your connections prior to putting the power pod into place. I think after I get this one into the air I'll update the plans with what actually worked.

Last edited:

thatjoshguy

Well I'm inching ever closer. Got the Y cable in for the wing servos. Fixed the wing and the wing supports, and wired it up.

IMAG1717.jpg IMAG1718.jpg

Issues have arisen however... namely, it's freaking heavy.

here's the specs:

AUW = 451g w/battery and motor
Wingspan = 40.5 inches
cord = 6.5 inches
total wing area = 263 inches

I have 8x4 and 9x5 DD props. Currently have a 3S 800mAh battery and a Turnigy Plush 18A ESC.
The only motor I have is this http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=2069

I'm trying to use WebOCalc to determine if this will fly or not, but I really do not understand it all yet. Does the weight of the place affect how many amps the motor will draw? I've read about 30 posts all trying to explain this and it is just not clicking yet.

from what I've been seeing in the reviews of that motor, a 9x6 prop will generate about 15oz of thrust at about 7Amps. The motor specs say it is rated for MAX 7.5 Amps. Is that amp draw even across the board, or only at max throttle?

Oh, and the landing gear still sucks. not strong enough to keep it steady. I'll need to fool around with a new design for that, but at this point I'd be happy to belly land it if it meant I could get it in the air!