XF VIPER - Foamboard F-16 EDF

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
really appreciate the 2x4 layup on the plans. I find that the more rows you have the more out of wack they get, so only having 2 rows makes it easier to get squared up. That scraped bottom reminded me that i wanted to try cutting some thin plastic out, like from a plastic file folder, to give it a nice protected belly slide area.

On the fold/crease areas are you doing a 50% cut with a blade like the lasercut kits?

Fold/Crease: Yes...with the similar "crush seam with BBQ skewer/pencil" & "bead of glue in the crease" techniques as well.

Curious: What do you mean by "2x4 layup" ?

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
When you do a poster print out of adobe reader. Although i just realized that i turn off all the options so it makes it less paper, thats how im getting a 2 row by 4 column print.
1532453829030.png
IMG_20180723_220731.jpg
1532454267810.png

Last edited:

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
Ben, my one "quality of life" recommendation for scratch building would be to put some kind of indicator line on inside "corners". These plans have a few places where there is a slight inside degree change that could be easily missed if your in a hurry. If there was some type of indicator line to put your straight edge on while cutting the plans out it would help a lot. IMHO

edit: probably lots of different ways to make this more noticeable, this was just the first thing i thought of.

cjspecial

@Mid7night and @Rasterize Amazing work gentleman and thank you for your continued contributions to the community! I know I'm a noob on here, but have been building on and off for about 30 years now. You guys and Flite Test have reignited a passion I had almost lost site of. So again, thank you for what you do! On a side note, what are the chances of getting a copy of the skin used on the FF2018 Maden?

epsilon

@Rasterize so... do you have skins available somewhere for this yet? Really giving serious consideration to trying to skin this. Never done that to any of my builds before.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
I’m gonna run interference for Rasterize here and say that this first Thunderbird skin was a quick-turn test, and while it DID turn out amazingly awesome it’s not ready for prime-time release.

Unless he pops in here and corrects me 😜

I think we’re going to release some Blue Angel skins for the A-4 first, since the F-16 is still kinda in the early beta stages.

Chuppster

Hey Ben, I printed the plans out and am almost ready to start cutting. Super excited!!! Quick question, did you move the EDF back in these plans, or will I need to do that manually?

cjspecial

On the blue lines for the under canopy section, I found it easier to score cut, bevel and then fold around the form, rather than just crease it.

Attachments

• IMG_20180729_105629100.jpg
    IMG_20180729_105629100.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
The blue is intended to “mean” the same thing as in the FT plans.

Either creasing or beveling on the nose piece will work. I can see how beveling would help. I tend to use a screwdriver to crease, then when I put glue in the seam it softens the fold a lot.

I started another build the other night and took a bunch of pictures, but I haven’t written anything to explain them yet. Would you like me to just post them anyway, and field questions as they come?

It’s about halfway through. The aft end of the fuse and wings.

cjspecial

The blue is intended to “mean” the same thing as in the FT plans.

Either creasing or beveling on the nose piece will work. I can see how beveling would help. I tend to use a screwdriver to crease, then when I put glue in the seam it softens the fold a lot.

I started another build the other night and took a bunch of pictures, but I haven’t written anything to explain them yet. Would you like me to just post them anyway, and field questions as they come?

It’s about halfway through. The aft end of the fuse and wings.

While I'm about halfway through the build, more pictures would definitely help because some of the posted pics appear to be from a previous version? I already made a few mistakes, but that is all part of scratch building.

Question about the canopy top plate. In the pics it looks as if it is a continuous part of the front fuselage, but on the plans it's separate. I ended up joining it together on the plans because it seemed appropriate. Was I mistaken?

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
The canopy plate, in the latest version, is supposed to be separate. It’s what you glue the canopy onto, and it’s supposed to be the hatch.

Ok. I’ll post the pics I have so far. It’ll have to be later tonight though; it’s a pain posting that many photos from mobile.

The nose assembly didn’t change in the latest version, except for the canopy; I just cut it out in the first build.

cjspecial

The fuselage was definitely a little tricky to figure out, but once I understand the thought process behind the design, it made it easier. I'm still learning complex bends with DTFB, but overall it should be good for flight!

Attachments

• IMG_20180729_143532002.jpg
    IMG_20180729_143532002.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
...I can't possibly tell you how hard it was to keep my mouth shut about it until Flite Fest. :D...

Oh I think I have some idea.... lol :sneaky::censored::LOL:
Congrats on the F16. It's such a sweet design. It seems to be "taking off" with a lot of FT fans.;)
Thanks for letting me do the skins. It was an honor. You and Dan both have done so much for this community. It is greatly appreciated by all.

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
As for the F16 skins... I have had some issues at home the past week (No AC in 112 degree weather to name one) so I have not had much time. Spent many "good Husband" points on the Tbird and the Blue Angels skins. I have also been working on skins for a friends Red Bull entry and Skins for Sankaran's B25. Although both A$ and F16 skins Will be released at some point, I highly recommend if this is your first or second EDF to build a plain vanilla (or should that be chocolate) version first. Get a feel for it both building and flying her before spending the time/money on making her pretty. Crashing a pretty bird right off the bat because of inexperience will break your heart and cause you not to want to do skins again. Flying an awesome looking plane with confidence is well worth the investment.

cjspecial

As for the F16 skins... I have had some issues at home the past week (No AC in 112 degree weather to name one) so I have not had much time. Spent many "good Husband" points on the Tbird and the Blue Angels skins. I have also been working on skins for a friends Red Bull entry and Skins for Sankaran's B25. Although both A$ and F16 skins Will be released at some point, I highly recommend if this is your first or second EDF to build a plain vanilla (or should that be chocolate) version first. Get a feel for it both building and flying her before spending the time/money on making her pretty. Crashing a pretty bird right off the bat because of inexperience will break your heart and cause you not to want to do skins again. Flying an awesome looking plane with confidence is well worth the investment.

Well said Sir! Sorry to hear about your A/C going out! I'm in Casa Grande and know all too well about no A/C in the summer... If it hasn't been fixed and you need a cool place to crash, please message me. Thank you for everything you have done for the FT community!