109" Hostetler Aeronca Champ build

Off-topic jes

Elite member
So last night I cut out the slots in the fuse for the wing spars and made spar boxes to hold the wings in place. I also continued the stringers to the rear most spar box and put triangle stock on the lg plate. This week I'll be making a hatch for the top, making threaded blocks for the wing bolts to thread into. Also will probably start back up on figuring out the wingtip View attachment 216670 View attachment 216671 View attachment 216672
Wow you are good

Off-topic jes

Elite member
I am liking this subject. I have been elect guy so, WB finishes have been my drug of choice for years. I too, have used polycrylic over Koveral followed by latex with excellent results.( I think I will try the foam brush next time ) What I am now learning, as I was ignorant to, is that gas & latex R compatible. Please tell that this is unequivocal without a doubt the truth. My ( hopefully soon to be started L-4 ) will be a gasser. I will also be using & purchased in large quantities, Koveral. I have also stocked up on Klass Kote primer. I have seen this used as a sealer for Koveral, but it is a gas warfare weapon like dope. I will use the Klass Kote, but if I can go into the future with polycrylic, then that would be my preferred path.
Agreeable

Off-topic jes

Elite member
Sorry my screenshot is so sloppy but this is my fourth scale baby hopefully it’ll turn out that good

Attachments

• 3F676905-1D67-4143-AEE8-0D7508E80C2F.jpeg
    3F676905-1D67-4143-AEE8-0D7508E80C2F.jpeg
    287 KB · Views: 0

Off-topic jes

Elite member
Looks super cool! Following for sure!
Sorry I’m asking so many questions do you glue your stabilizers on before you have the wing on? an old friend of mine taught me you glue the stabilizers on after you have the wing finish to make sure they’re lined up perfectly and level

Off-topic jes

Elite member
I like it! Now you got me thinking, seeing the amount of work in the wing construction, if I should go Citabria or Decathlon. If I go Citabria, then I will have to scratch the entire wing. That means cutting out my own ribs and everything. I have a wing set from a1/4 Decathlon ARF, and after matching the wings to the drawings I am using, I can match them to my fuse. Thanks for the pics.
Good idea😃

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
So this past week I've just been getting back into building this thing again, trying to figure out where I left off and such. I got the spare boxes made, fitted them to the spars, and finished the top hatch area. I added the balsa fillers between the wing and fuselage and made the hatch.
IMG_20220131_232646012.jpg
IMG_20220131_233156805.jpg

I also finally got the firewall mounted and sanded to fit the fuse. I renforced it with some triangle stock and put some triangle stock on the lg plate too. After I did that I sheeted the fuselage and that brings me to where I'm at now.
IMG_20220131_232656323.jpg
IMG_20220131_232650935.jpg
IMG_20220131_233333875.jpg

This week I'll be doing a ton of sanding getting the sheeting to look nice and such. I'll also be finishing the canopy area and putting the threaded block that the wing bolts thread into on so the fuselage she be ready for final sanding by next week hopefully. It should definitely be done by spring which is my goal so stay tuned for further updates.

Off-topic jes

Elite member
So this past week I've just been getting back into building this thing again, trying to figure out where I left off and such. I got the spare boxes made, fitted them to the spars, and finished the top hatch area. I added the balsa fillers between the wing and fuselage and made the hatch. View attachment 217570 View attachment 217571
I also finally got the firewall mounted and sanded to fit the fuse. I renforced it with some triangle stock and put some triangle stock on the lg plate too. After I did that I sheeted the fuselage and that brings me to where I'm at now.
View attachment 217568 View attachment 217569 View attachment 217572
This week I'll be doing a ton of sanding getting the sheeting to look nice and such. I'll also be finishing the canopy area and putting the threaded block that the wing bolts thread into on so the fuselage she be ready for final sanding by next week hopefully. It should definitely be done by spring which is my goal so stay tuned for further updates.
Does that hatch come on and off so you can access servers or you put them in a different Area 😁 🧐

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
Congrats, U made to the hump. Up until this point, it is just sticks & monotony with lots of hours & nothing to look @. Once U get it to where the wings & tail can be trial fitted, that my friend, is when I get pumped.
Although the worst part has yet to come. Final sanding can be hell on a big airplane like this. Especially since I have the perfectionist mentality.