1600mm Glider Build

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Wow this has come a long way since I last checked in! That wing is a work of art inside and out. I can't wait for what comes next! :D

Spacefarer

I wish I could scratch build that fast. Are you sure that your aerofoil is correct? It seems to be warping from the center to the tips, not sure what that will do.

Wildthing

Legendary member
I wish I could scratch build that fast. Are you sure that your aerofoil is correct? It seems to be warping from the center to the tips, not sure what that will do.
I am usually faster in the winter when I don't haver to work ;) . Not sure what warpage you are seeing, might be the camera angle and the way the lights are shining off of it.

bracesport

Legendary member
@Wildthing - I have headed your words - this morning I scraped my 'V' tail DL(TT)G and will repurpose the servos for my Pheonix hybrid so I can finish it on Thursday (I can't have to flying without comparing it to mine) - by scrapping the DL(TT)G I am also forced to fly my DLG build!

The DLG is a nice build with the FB wing and I will first try a hand launch off of the wing peg, then slope soar it if the hand launch is a failure - it is a V tail too and it seems they are notoriously hard to hand launch - the i6s has some cool buttons on the back of the Tx and I have programmed the left hand one with a launch mode that gives me a bit of right turn and a bit of up elevator :LOL: so that might help with the hand launch!

Oh, I think 'spaceflyer' is referring to the peak on the thickest part of your ribs - I am thinking the peak and chord shape is more like a FB folded wing compared to a smooth aerofoil chord - nevertheless, I am sure it will fly well!

IMG_5941.JPG

Wildthing

Legendary member
@Wildthing - I have headed your words - this morning I scraped my 'V' tail DL(TT)G and will repurpose the servos for my Pheonix hybrid so I can finish it on Thursday (I can't have to flying without comparing it to mine) - by scrapping the DL(TT)G I am also forced to fly my DLG build!

The DLG is a nice build with the FB wing and I will first try a hand launch off of the wing peg, then slope soar it if the hand launch is a failure - it is a V tail too and it seems they are notoriously hard to hand launch - the i6s has some cool buttons on the back of the Tx and I have programmed the left hand one with a launch mode that gives me a bit of right turn and a bit of up elevator :LOL: so that might help with the hand launch!

Oh, I think 'spaceflyer' is referring to the peak on the thickest part of your ribs - I am thinking the peak and chord shape is more like a FB folded wing compared to a smooth aerofoil chord - nevertheless, I am sure it will fly well!

What??? I never said there was anything wrong with the V Tail.

bracesport

Legendary member
@Wildthing - no no, I headed your words to 'fly everything'. I’ve been sitting on my DLG afraid to fly and damage it - scrapping the DL(TT)G which I’ve flown forces me to fly the DLG and gives me more servos for the Pheonix hybrid (with flaps)! :D

Last edited:

Wildthing

Legendary member
@Wildthing - no no, I headed your words to 'fly everything'. I’ve been sitting on my DLG afraid to fly and damage it - scrapping the DL(TT)G which I’ve flown forces me to fly the DLG and gives me more servos for the Pheonix hybrid (with flaps)! :D

Ok, that's better. Yes you built it so fly it. You only live once so enjoy it even if it crashes but by the looks of it I don't think that will be a problem , looks like a slick flyer, it may not want to come down.

Wildthing

Legendary member
5mm x 1000mm ( longest I have) for the center section and 3mm for the outer sections. My whole airfoil does taper down towards the tips but I think I could fit 5mm in the outer section also instead of the 3mm. In hind sight I should maybe had 2 more cf rods overlapping the other two.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Well I think I might just have to design the rest of the plane ;) .

My first covering job, not perfect but that is why I take blurry pictures :D . Strength seems really good now with the full covering . My plan is to also use hinge paper for the hinges , 4 3/4" on each aileron so my next challenge is for 16 perfectly matched slots cut into the wing and ailerons. Might have to build myself a jig of some sort .

2019_0513_140520_001.JPG
2019_0513_164003_001.JPG
2019_0513_171318_001.JPG
2019_0513_183858_001.JPG
2019_0513_183902_002.JPG
2019_0513_205707_001.JPG
2019_0513_212506_001.JPG
2019_0513_215043_001.JPG

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I am seriously liking the red/checkerboard scheme you've got. That's pretty darn slick. You should keep taking blurry pictures, because it sure looks good from this side of the monitor! :)

Wildthing

Legendary member
@Wildthing - a seriously nice job - where did you end up with the wing weight?

I meant to weigh it before I put the covering on but of course I forgot to, it scales in at 328g with the ailerons. I don't know if this is good or bad :eek: .

Ailerons are 15g each, I could probably cut their weight in half by using 6mm foam sanded to the contour and then cover them.

Wildthing

Legendary member
I am seriously liking the red/checkerboard scheme you've got. That's pretty darn slick. You should keep taking blurry pictures, because it sure looks good from this side of the monitor! :)

Thanks, now to design a fuse to match it.