18" Mighty Mini FT-22 - LocalFiend Version

basic F-pack stuff. I could move the Rx back a bit more.

I just tried the 800 and it fits better and balances.

Im using a 1300 3s and i had to modify it (cut out) some of the bottom to slide the battery further back to balance just right. Im building another with some more modifications. My first jet and I like it. Thinking of building the full size version to try out.

Shashika

Do you mean videos other than a build video? Cause I don't have one of those as I answered above. You can however follow along with Flite Test's build video, they're pretty much the same plane. There are plenty of flight videos if you look through the first few pages.

Sounds like your electronics should be a good fit. The ESC is overkill and probably a tad heavy, but if it's all you've got it should serve just fine.

How about using same electronics for a Mini Sportster ??

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
I'm thinking of building a mini FT-22 with leftover parts from a Sparrow. After doing some reading, I think I'm going to go with the 20" FT version. I may also try and build a removable nose like the FT Vector, since it seems like everyone else is smashing their nose... wish me luck.

Last edited:

French

So I worked on my new FT-22 (20") last night. I loved Peter's removable nose design on the Vector, and I figured that I'd rather rebuild only the tip of the FT-22 nose instead of the whole fuselage.

First, I built full length nose doublers with rear notches to match the fuselage:
1.jpg

Then I decided how far I wanted the "tabs" to stick out. I assumed that just were the canopy meets the nose would be about right. I cut the doublers and rounded the edges.
3.jpg

Next I had to decide how much of the nose should be removable. I opted for just behind the center of the canopy.
5.jpg

7.jpg
8.jpg

I'm not going to have a canopy pod in the top like the normal FT-22, so I just omitted that piece from the build. I'll access the battery by simply sliding off the nose. For my canopy foam, I made the score a single foamboard wide from the edge, not double like in the plans. I'll cut that piece to length for both pieces.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
So I worked on my new FT-22 (20") last night. I loved Peter's removable nose design on the Vector, and I figured that I'd rather rebuild only the tip of the FT-22 nose instead of the whole fuselage.

Looks like that might be a good solution if crumpling the nose doesn't also smash up the support pieces. I wonder if running a wire on the inside edges of the nose would strengthen things enough to prevent crumpling in a crash.

mesolost

i'd put bbq skewers top and bottom of those plane side tabs to keep them from smushin bad, maybe shorten them and compensate with a glue layer on the outside as a grip. ^_^ I'll do this on my next FT-22. Thanks!

French

image.jpeg

So my initial "break" doesn't allow you to grab enough of the esc power wire to turn in the battery... dang
It may be difficult to move it much further back because the bottom of the fuselage stops. For now, my solution is to just pull the bottom plate for battery hookup and removal. The battery has to be way in the back anyway to balance the CG.

The nose fit great by friction with the battery further forward and pressing on the tabs. When I had to move it back for GC, I lost the friction. With the battery further back and using the bottom hatch for access, I've just taped the nose on.

I'm already thinking of V2.0 revisions

Last edited: