2018 Flite Test Forum Challenge: WWII Design & Build

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
I can help out at FF East if needed. Too poor to go to more than one location though.

I need to do more things at this next FF than stay in the build tent lol.

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
hahaha.. I'm from upstate New York. Texas winters is shorts and tee shirt weather for us. Their coldest days are beach weather up here.

November is generally when we get the best weather anyways, typically around 70F. Much nicer than the 105 deg August.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I can help out at FF East if needed. Too poor to go to more than one location though.

I need to do more things at this next FF than stay in the build tent lol.

Yes! You are needed!!

But you're also a competitor in the events (as I will be) so we need to recruit some more folks to be all independent like. :)

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
At 80 mph I could cut it to 22 hours! As Mark Knopfler says - "So far away from me" :(

Map to FF TX.jpg

DamoRC

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
So here it is folks - the results of Phase 1!

I know you're going to want to scroll down and look for where your favorite design is ranked, but hold with me for a moment while I explain the process and output here.

Let's revist the objectives of this community challenge.

Objectives:
  • Celebrate the obscure, unusual concepts and advances of WWII aviation - Heck yea we did this!
  • Foster interest in building foam board model aircraft from community plans - over 300 posts in the main thread alone - I think we knocked this out of the park!
  • Promote designing and building as one of the aspects of the FT community - again, 300 posts! And in-person events at each Flite Fest coming up!
  • Compete in flying events where any level of experience can be a winner - Coming soon to a Flite Fest near you!
  • Engage in some friendly forum banter :) - Definitely!

So as a community, I say you've done incredibly well! We had 44 entries start the journey with us, and 19 of those have 'proof of flight' videos and received scoring attention. That's 19 new planes - of various flight qualities to be sure - but 19 new planes released in just 6 months! Pretty amazing!

So in this spirit of the challenge, I refuse to rank these 19 awesome entries from 1st place through to number 19. It's just not what this is all about. Yes, there is a scoring rubric that was published - and yes it was used by me and a team of judges (and a HUUUGGE thank you to my judges for helping out!! Feel free to out yourselves in the thread if you like.). But honestly folks, there is no way I'm going to tell any one of you great builders and designers who took on a new challenge, and some really tough challenges, that your design sucks - cause it's just not true. And that's not what we are here to do - reference objectives above if you have any doubts.

So with that preamble behind us, let's get to the result categories.

• First, there is a clear winner to this challenge - scoring far ahead of all other entries.
  • Second, there are a group of awesome planes that scored over 130 on the rubric.
  • Third, there are a group of great planes that didn't get over 130, but we still love.
  • And then there are a set of entries that flew, but who didn't release plans to the community yet, and thus scored in the lowest grouping.

And in traditional awards show fashion (and like Casey Kasem taught us), we're going to count 'em down to #1.

So first up, here is Category 4; the entries we loved, but who didn't release plans to the community yet. Posted in order of their challenge entry date.

Waffleman's Grumman XP-50 Skyrocket
http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?36064-Mini-XP50-for-FTCC-World-War-Two-Challenge!

Come back and release plans for this!! You did a great job replicating the curves in what looks like a very simple to cut and assemble design. I love the way it looks, and it obviously performs great - so we all want to be able to build one!

Grifflyer & JimCR120's Grumman XF5F-1
http://forum.flitetest.com/showthre...an-XF5F-1-Skyrocket-by-Grifflyer-and-JimCR120

Another great looking build that deserves to have plans released! Love how you captured the feel of the plane, and the easy access to batteries in the nacelles and central layout of radio gear makes it a nice plane to service at the field. So great job Grifflyer - and get in there and help him out Jim! Can't leave a boy hanging like that! :p

TaleSpin's Convair XB-53 (formerly XA-44)
http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?36281-FTFC-18-WWII-Corvair-XB-53-designed-by-TaleSpin

This was a very cool subject. The forward wing sweep is a real eye-catcher. The shaping of the fuselage, and the skill used to attain it were quite impressive. It would be nice to see some plans, as we are sure that there are some wannabe builders that would love to tackle your design!

Namactual's FH-1 Phantom
http://forum.flitetest.com/showthre...I-FH-1-Phantom-designed-by-Namactual&p=361216

We just knew this would fly and you didn't disappoint! It looked pretty good as is, but also looked as though there was a little more performance asking to be eaked out! Solid construction and we liked that you went with the more symetrical airfoil. Not many do that, and it's a nice touch for the models intended for more advanced pilots. Please make some plans Dude! This is a jet that many could like.

FoamyDM's LPL Ushakov "Flying Submarine"
http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?36977-FTFC-18-WWII-Ushakov-LPL-Flying-Submarine-by-FoamyDM

This build thread and project is legendary! A very ambitious design, and to take on the flying and submersible aspects of the design too - just awesome! The scale look of the plane is beautiful, and we really really want you to release some alpha or beta plans! The history references here are fascinating, as is the knowledge bridge to model submarining (I had no idea this was such a cool thing). There are some aerodynamic challenges still to work out and we all want to see this succeed in the air and the water - and we know you'll get there too! We really want to check this out at a Flite Fest this year!

320dude's North American F-82 Twin Mustang
http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?37746-FTFC-18-WWII-F-82-Twin-Mustang-designed-by-320dude

Love the approach of extending a proven design for this! And the final result performs very well. Looks like a very stable flyer, and a great design for flyers who want something unusual at the field!

J-MaxRC's Borovkov-Florov-D
http://forum.flitetest.com/showthre...rov-D-designed-by-J-MaxRC&p=380968#post380968

The contest went on so long without hearing from you, I was afraid we lost you man! But you kicked out an amazing entry at the last minute (to us at least)! This plane flies so much awesome I can't even English! Excellent video documentation of the project, it's history, where you're going next, and some truly excellent flight characteristics - and a great landing too! And it's got some amazing glide too - you really have a good airfoil design based on the length of those glide tests. I'd say your first version here is a total success - now it's time to get version two rolling and share some plans with the rest of us so we can build along too! And from seeing how well your gear was designed & built on the big bomber you brought to FliteFest last year, I'm fully confident you'll figure out the retract geometry on this model :)

Anyone notice anything odd about this list? Like how they are all entries from the Allies team? Wonder what's up with that... :p

And builders - if you haven't completed your design or flight video or plans release yet, please keep going!! All entries started in Phase 1 can be included in the Phase 2 events, even if the plans/video/etc weren't completed in time for Phase 1 scoring. We all want to see these crazy planes in the air, and to celebrate everyone having success designing and building their own DTFB planes from scratch.

And if you want to join in this crazy fun but didn't start a design before 12/31/2017, that's perfectly OK too - pick any one of the 44 entries that were started, build away, and join us at a Flite Fest this year for Phase 2! You can use already posted plans, or do your own version of one of the 44 entries and release your own plans for it! So come on in - we want you in this too!

Hmm.... you've probably noticed by now I didn't post the other categories of winners.

Yeah, I need to go play board games with the family for a while... so I'll write the next part soon. :p

Last edited:

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Anyone notice anything odd about this list? Like how they are all entries from the Allies team? Wonder what's up with that... :p

The allies were obviously too busy winning the war. ;)

And yeah, not too late to come up with plans. :D I've always wanted to build an XP-50/X5F.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Flying Submarine Plans - Ready, but not willing - yet

I have the Plans, but was wanting a truly successful Maiden to pretty up the plans for release.

This FT-Build-Ruary, in between the builds I've planned, I will be revisiting this to ensure a flying model prior to plan release. I will be attempting a re-maiden again. I have to re-do the starting the transmitter's control scheme over as it was never right. I hope it will make a difference.

I'm honored for the mention. The build is somewhat quick, just the flying time seems to be more precious for me lately. Let's see what trouble we can get into over here then.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Allright - let's get back to the countdown!!

Next are a group of truly Great FT Community Designed Planes! From a technical scoring perspective, these all scored less than 130, but don't let that fool you. These designs are proven flyers - with plans released for others to build - and as far as I'm concerned they can all proudly claim to have come in 3rd place in this challenge :applause:

So again, in order of the entry signup date, here we go:

Team RockyBoy (Rockyboy & Psyborg & Igoo57 & jpot1)
Focke Wulf FW-42
http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?35967-FTFC-18-WWII-Focke-Wulf-FW-42
Plans AND skins! Sure to have excellent variety in other builds. The fully-flying canard can be a tricky bit but the construction is simple and effective. Getting the aerodynamic design of a canard right out of the gate is a huge plus and shows a solid design with stable and highly maneuverable flight characteristics.

Fluburtur
Messerschmitt P.1110/II
http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?35945-FFE-18-WWII-Messerschmitt-P-1110-II

It's amazing what can be done with Cardboard! Wonderful to have materials in use here for our friends around the world who don't have access to dollar tree foam board. Excellent design process, and really appreciate the calculations on intake / exhaust areas and the impact of different angled inlets on the air volume. Really shows us all real-world applicability of maths on hobby design! The stages of development and multiple prototypes shows a successfull design, and with a little bigger power plant this will scream across the sky again! And I really hope you come back to the printable retract design - the community needs this and you're on a great path!

Team Motherless Child (Slingshot & DamoRC)
Ohka 43(x)
http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?36224-FTCC-18-Ohka-Model-43(x)-Team-Motherless-Child

Beautiful final model! Looks great and flys great too! Love the experimentation and calculations done with the EDF inlet sizing, leading to a very succesfull power setup that doesn't mess with the scale lines of the model too much. And a very nice job realizing the stability and stalling behavior could be addressed with some FT style under cambered wing time! The plans look great, and really appreciate the addition of the CAD and sketchup files too.

Dr. Looping Looie
Lippisch P13a
http://forum.flitetest.com/showthre...II-Lippisch-P13a-designed-by-Dr-Looping-Looie

Great job tackling a design that is anything but conventional! Loads of great source pictures and illustrations. Especially love the little details and functional components on this - the design of the inlets, great spring loaded landing skids, and awesome cockpit work! I'm sure we will see longer flight times now that you've got the launch cart ready to go!

Zephyr1
Ki-98 Mansyu
http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?37247-FTFC%B418-WWII-Ki-98-Mansyu-designed-by-Zephyr1

A simple, straightforward, and good looking design! By sticking to basic easy to make shapes for most of the design, and strategicly using some curves, you've created a very easy to build plane that looks great! With a few notes added for things like a scale, CG, and battery placement information, I think you have a warbird design that would be great for a noobs 2nd or 3rd build. And with the pusher motor configuration is should be very easy on props new fliers too! We want more video of this in the air!

Zepher1
Arado Ar 555-3 Amerika Bomber
http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?37680-FTFC%B418-WWII-Arado-Ar-555-3-designed-by-Zephyr1

It's amazing how quickly this came together into an excellent flying plane! Great job capturing the feel of the design, and at a huge size too! Love the retracts - looks like they worked perfectly. And kudo's for figuring out PDF plans production on this one! We want an update on this over spring break too - did it get painted? Is it still meanacing Amerika from above?

Now here's another weird coincidence in the data... all of the 3rd place entries are on Team Luftwaffe!

And in a move that will surprise no one, I'm going to drag this out one more night! :p

Tomorrow we'll get the rest of the results!

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
Heh, get me a 3d printer and I will pump you out those retracts in no time!
(btw I made a gofundme thing if you feel generous ;) )
Im kinda disapoint I couldn't get mine where I wanted to, but now that I can work wire cut foam I might make a better one

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Heh, get me a 3d printer and I will pump you out those retracts in no time!
(btw I made a gofundme thing if you feel generous ;) )
Im kinda disapoint I couldn't get mine where I wanted to, but now that I can work wire cut foam I might make a better one

I'd love to see a hot wire one! I'm just starting to mess with that construction style myself now and it's a whole fun new area of construction to dive into!

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
What a great write up Rockyboy, really appreciate the effort you are putting in. Some nice planes in that list.

DamoRC

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thanks guys! It's been a whole lot of fun to do. With as much work as people have put in for their entries, they certainly deserve for me to put in some work doing meaningful comments.

Last edited: