2018 Flite Test Forum Challenge: WWII Design & Build

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
Tachikawa Ki-94-I

Japanese air support is now available:

Ki-84-I_v.jpg

The maiden flight was successful and the BETA plan has been published!
A video of the maiden flight and the link to the plan can be found here!

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Final Phase 1 Scoring Results

OK folks, here we go. The final set of scores for the Phase 1 activities. :applause:

2nd Place Entries

Here we are - a set of truly AWESOME planes, all scoring over 130 on the rubric. These designs are well referenced, are solidly designed, have great build instructions, and top notch plans ready for you to build! All of these builders can proudly claim they took 2nd place in the challenge!

These are ordered by entry date within the teams.

Team Luftwaffe

DamoRC
Fieseler Fi 103R Reichenberg
http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?36010-FTCC-18-WWII-Fieseler-Fi-103R-Reichenberg

The steps you posted on the design and modeling process are excellent, and really show how to get that complicated round effect with our flat material! Excellent takeoff characteristics in all the versions you posted videos for - it only got squirrely when you poured on the power, and you did some excellent sleuthing and design work to overcome those tendencies in the final design. Also love that you added a tractor version for people who might want to build this beautiful model without going the EDF route. And providing plans for all of the versions to the community is appreciated!

FAI-F1D & Craftydan
Daimler Benz Project B (plus some extras)
http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?36349-FTFC-18-WWII-Daimler-Benz-Projekt-B

Amazing crazy project! We got four airframe designs from this team, running the range from multi-engine brushless to EDF to brushed and free flight. Remarkable! The contrast of stability in the mothership with downright aggressive maneuverability in the EDF bomber was jaw dropping. Love the use of rocket rubes and balsa nose cones to bring some extra flexibility to traditional FT building techniques. The in flight separations all looked flawless on video, and really showcase the fun of multi-pilot flight systems. Appreciate the nice 3 views of the plans in addition to the DXF format outputs for anyone with CAD experience to use on CNC equipment.

The Allied Forces of Flite Test

Fidget
Consolidated Vultee XP-81
http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?36019-FTCC-18-WWII-Consolidated-Vultee-XP-81

Excellent research materials and reuse of proven design components used to get this off the ground! It looks very maneuverable and the combo motors sound so wicked whipping by! Love the plans and build instructions - really appreciate the component shopping list and clearly called out CG and fold style information. All in all, an excellent design!

HilldaFlyer
Curtiss-Wright XP-55 Ascender
http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?36123-FTFC-18-WWII-Curtiss-Wright-XP-55-Ascender

An outstanding take on a very challenging project. Great job of replicating scale like stall characteristics too! ;-) We would have liked to have seen a stall test after you got the trim and CG problems worked out to know if the ship became more manageable. A really good job documenting your work. We're sure anyone willing to tackle this project will have a good foundation to work from with your plans and build log.

FoamyDM
SAM-7 (Russian tailless Fighter Concept)
FTFC-18-WWII-SAM-7-designed-by-FoamyDM

You took on a very tough challenge with this design, and we loved how you kept pushing through and learning at every step! The history clip was fascinating and much appreciated. And the plans quality is excellent! If Sponz ever needs to take an extended vacation, Flite Test needs to give you a call. And love that you tackled retracts as well. While we haven't yet seen what I'd call 'stable' flight from this scale version, I absolutely think you are on the right track!

And without further delay, I am thrilled to announce that with a decent lead in the scoring, the winner of Phase 1 of the FTFCC WW2 challenge is...

FlapjackSkis4.jpg

SP0NZ & LocalFiend
Vought XF5U "Flying Flapjack"
http://forum.flitetest.com/showthre...lapjack-quot-designed-by-SP0NZ-amp-LocalFiend

We're all suckers for a strange looking and well flying airplane. Y'all have certainly delivered one here. When we first saw the proposal for the XF5U, some of us said to ourselves, "That thing is either going to fly very well..... or be very interesting!" You delivered on both! :p Though a considerable departure from traditional FT build techniques, we really love the way you have adapted more traditional modeling construction techniques to foamboard and taught us all new skills with this design. And the detailed build instructions make this accessible to anyone familiar with FT build processes. The bonus 3D printed parts designs are just the cherry on top. The plans are top notch of course, we expected nothing less of Sponz :p Also appreciate Dale's layout advice to ensure the parts are cut to bend with the grain of the foam board for easy assembly. The end product is very elegant and we can't wait to see some of these all painted up and in the air at Flite Fest!

Excellent work gentlemen! :applause:

I want to thank you everyone for participating in this first part of the forum challenge, through both entries and encouraging friends in the build threads. It really has been a great experience.

And now it's time for everyone to get building on your entries for Part 2!! Remember, any design that was started in Phase 1 by any person is eligible for use in the Phase 2 In-Person activities. We just want to keep celebrating these great projects and have fun with some strange flying machines! :cool:

Fidget

Congratulations SPONZ and LocalFiend! You should get those tiny syrup bottles from Cracker Barrel as bombs. ;)

Thanks again, rockyboy, for making this happen!

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Congrats Sponz and Localfiend - well deserved!

Thanks again Rockyboy for a great challenge experience.

DamoRC

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Thanks everybody, and a big thanks to Rockboy for keeping up with such a massive project.

I'm excited to go to flitefest and see a bunch of these planes in person. Flocks of mixed experimentals will make for an awesome sight.

I'd like to encourage people looking at building the flapjack to not be scared. It's got a lot of parts, but that helps in a way. If you mess one up, it's not going to make your plane unflyable. Easy to cut out and replace. Or cover with tape. ;)

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Also like to say a BIG THANK YOU to Rockyboy for all the effort he put into this community challenge!

And, credit where credit is due, LocalFiend deserves all the credit for the XF5U design. I did the intakes and the plans, the rest was all Dale. Hat's off to you man, you killed it. I can't wait to build mine and fly them together at Flite Fest Ohio!

Congrats to all the other participants here as well. This is an amazing community that I am very proud to be a part of. The work you have all put into your designs is a benefit to the entire community, and a testament to what this community is all about...Entertaining, Educating, and Elevating the world of flight! I hope to see a "Gaggle" of these models flying in Ohio this July.

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
sounds like it was WICKED FUN!!!! too bad i missed it...

There’s still phase II, the in person portion at Flite Fest! I won’t be participating per se, but a few friends and I are working on a giant scale project for FF Texas that will compliment the theme nicely. Might still have to build myself a pancake though..

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
There’s still phase II, the in person portion at Flite Fest! I won’t be participating per se, but a few friends and I are working on a giant scale project for FF Texas that will compliment the theme nicely. Might still have to build myself a pancake though..

i am totally building a pancake. where can i find plans? i assume somewhere in this thread?