A Sparrow Hatching - Building planes at a hackerspace.

Nerobro

A Severe Lack of Sense
Saturday, we built a bunch of sparrows. Six of them!

I'm a member at PumpingStation:One. http://pumpingstationone.org/ A .. large?.. hackerspace in Chicago. As members, we run little classes to do things that we think are fun. I love flying stuff, so.. I thought we should build some flying things.

So lets jump to the meat of it, I asked if people were interested, and I got a bunch of signups to build these:

A flock of Sparrows. Those four planes flew saturday. Not well.. but they flew. We built a total of six.

I had five people show up to build with me. The skill levels ranged from "what's an r/c plane" to "I've flown multicopters for years, but never anything with servos."

The class went well. There was a lot of "you can't screw up to badly" that had to be said... But that's often the case with first timers.

So.. I learned a lot too. First, is check your shipment of parts, to make sure everything is kosher. I ended up ordering six brushed ESCs. Thankfully, I had enough proper ESCs hanging around to sort that out.

Second, is not everyone immediately clicks into how a r/c plane controller works. So next time I'm going to bring a 4 channel coaxial heli so people can learn how to move the sticks without ~really~ crashing.

It seems that the dihedrial built into the sparrow isn't enough for r/c use. I used the guage per the video, but it took LOTS of rudder to get the thing to come back from a bank. I expect that I was using the guage wrong...

Finally, check the CG. "This thing balances great with a 1000mah 3s in the nose" shouldn't be taken for granted. :) After the first few flights showed these things were deeply unstable, we found that with a 1000mah 3s in the nose, we had CG's basically at the back of the spar. ... whoops.

We brought home our bent birds, threw tape on the noses, and everyone was sent home with directions to get that CG forward.

I'm still calling this a success. Though, next time, I think I"m going to go with planes that have a wider acceptable CG range, and a conventional tail.

-Nero

canyonracer

Nice Nero! My favorite first FT plane for beginners is the tiny trainer(two planes for one). Very forgiving with the dihedral wing(3 channel) and then they can step up to the sport wing. Looking to teach some classes here as well! Mike

Nerobro

A Severe Lack of Sense
Yeah, I'm not convinced this was a the best choice in first plane. :) Nor were the choices in radios. Lessons learned everywhere.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Hatchlings

Nerobro,

Thank you for describing your experience with this plane.

I am the STEM coordinator for our Cub scout pack. I was looking to put together a aviation themed project for our camp-in event over the winter.

I was planning on doing the Sparrow, much as you have. I was figuring they would take it to the Gymnasium and chuck-fly them after they finished. Following up with instructions to the parents on how to turn it into and RC with links and a buy list. etc. Now I'm thinking the trainer might be better as an RC, just not sure on the Chuck-glider part.

What Transmitter were you using?
How much time did the project take?
What plane would to go with next time?
Did you wish you had more hands to help?
I'd love more details on your setup please. Was it an power pack A setup?
Were you using a Hi-temp Glue gun or did the low-temp ones work fine?
What was your favorite moment?
How did you balance the planes?

Forgive this next question as I'm still a noob, how does a brushed ESC goof the set-up? :eek:

I want my STEM event to be a BIG success for the boys (and Parents). and I'm still deciding to to big or go basic and effective.

As we learn in BSA Leadership training, "feedback is a gift". So thank you in advance for any questions answered.

-FoamyDM

Nerobro

A Severe Lack of Sense
We started building at 9:30am, we had flyable planed by 1pm. This was with "just me" as an instructor, five people building planes, and one person soldering motors to ESCS while I was figuring out the radios. We could knock an hour or two off if better prep work were done.

We used the Hobbyking T6a transmitters. We bought the USB configuration cables. In spite of being hilariously chinese, with things spelled awfuly... They ~can~ be configured for V-Tails. (you actually aim for elevon..) For $30 all told, they're quite capable. And with 6 channels you can do some pretty neat planes in the future! They're cheap.. and not entirely dead end. I apreciate that.

Three of us had our own transmitters. I have a DX6i and a DX18, one person had a DX6, and I don't know what the third guy had.

We ran Multistar ESC's, DYS 1806 motors. Which amounts to an A power pack. We also picked the 5 and 6 gram servos fromhobbyking. (we ran them out of one brand, and had to buy another)

I'd probally go with the tiny trainer next time. The polyhedrial wing will be more obvious if it's done wrong. IT's got a longer nose, so it's going to be easier to get the CG right.

We used three different hot glue guns. One low temp, two high temp. They all worked fine.

We ~didn't~ ballance the planes. Which was our biggest fault. The video and text said "the plane ballances fine with a 1000mah 3s". So.. that's what I bought. Turns out.. they don't.

Spend some time to make sure the CG and Throws are EXACTLY right before you fly. :)

I would have liked to have an experienced helper to keep an eye on what people were doing. I had one student get his A fold backwards.

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
Foamy,

The Tiny Trainer is more forgiving in all areas. It is easier to build within the flight tolerances, it glides great as a chuck glider, and it "graduates" to a 4 channel plane if the flyer so desires. I would recommend using it over the Sparrow for new flyers.

Nerobro

A Severe Lack of Sense
Me too. (I agree on the tiny trainer) The Sparrow is quite short coupled. Finding ways to get the CG forward isn't easy. I ended up throwing a set of keys in the nose of mine.... And then you don't need a special setup on the radio to make it controllable.

Thankfully I was working with adults, so what we built came out ~very nicely~ excepting CG issues.

ChumTaco

Nerobro,

Thank you for describing your experience with this plane.

I am the STEM coordinator for our Cub scout pack. I was looking to put together a aviation themed project for our camp-in event over the winter.

I was planning on doing the Sparrow, much as you have. I was figuring they would take it to the Gymnasium and chuck-fly them after they finished. Following up with instructions to the parents on how to turn it into and RC with links and a buy list. etc. Now I'm thinking the trainer might be better as an RC, just not sure on the Chuck-glider part.

What Transmitter were you using?
How much time did the project take?
What plane would to go with next time?
Did you wish you had more hands to help?
I'd love more details on your setup please. Was it an power pack A setup?
Were you using a Hi-temp Glue gun or did the low-temp ones work fine?
What was your favorite moment?
How did you balance the planes?

Forgive this next question as I'm still a noob, how does a brushed ESC goof the set-up? :eek:

I want my STEM event to be a BIG success for the boys (and Parents). and I'm still deciding to to big or go basic and effective.

As we learn in BSA Leadership training, "feedback is a gift". So thank you in advance for any questions answered.

-FoamyDM

Hi FoamyDM,

as a parent of two Tiger Cubs and a huge FliteTest fan, I'd also advise that you consider the Tiny Trainer in lieu of the Sparrow. We've built two Sparrows and one Tiny Trainer--both from speed built kits from the FT Store. The tiny trainer is harder to screw up in my opinion, and is easier for kids to relate to since it looks like a traditional airplane--instead of the v-tail.

In reference to the other questions you asked--you can get away with just about any retail hot glue gun as long as you are patient with the steps that take a lot of glue. Watch the build videos and take notes of sections that will be more complex than others. You'll want a high adult-to-cub scout ratio for these builds.

Kudos to you for doing the legwork to get your Cubs exposed to RC flight. As I learned myself in scouting, the leaders make or break a pack/troop.

Best of luck!

Sal

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
THank you both for your recomendations. This should help me with this cub project.