A ZMR250 build thread. Like a blackout but on a budget.

ExperimentalRC

I just crashed my mini quad so hard that all the magnets broke off of the front right motor and half the magnets broke off the rear right motor. :(

SonicRC

Carbon vinyl? So, is it loose or fairly rigid?

It's just vinyl with a carbon look.
It has an adhesive side, Doubled it over so sticky on to sticky and cut it out.
I had it from another project. Quite expensive at $20 a roll from Autozone.
You could just use contact paper (vinyl) from the $ store but wouldn't look as cool. :cool:

SnowRocker88

Amateur pilot and builder
It's just vinyl with a carbon look.
It has an adhesive side, Doubled it over so sticky on to sticky and cut it out.
I had it from another project. Quite expensive at $20 a roll from Autozone.
You could just use contact paper (vinyl) from the $ store but wouldn't look as cool. :cool:

Lol, nice!

SnowRocker88

20150309_094914.jpg

Got my heat-shrink on the ESC connectors. I'll keep the thread updated after I mess around some more. Also, did some mods. The 1300mAh battery is so short the wire comes out in about the perfect spot to just come up through the opening in the top plate so I opened up the window to fit my XT60 through it and came up with the ESC battery connector there. Also, scuffed up the top board under the battery strap and put some pads of hot glue to grip on the battery. It should do a good job of keeping the battery in place but not be too tough to install either.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Awesome! Let me know how those motors perform. I'm debating between those versus Sunnysky 2204s.

SnowRocker88

Awesome! Let me know how those motors perform. I'm debating between those versus Sunnysky 2204s.

Motors are great. This quad is a freaking rocket-ship! And from my ESC problem, it's had 3 falls from 30-50ft onto asphalt, then gravel then dirt and no motor problems so far. Motors even have scrapes on the outside where paint is missing where you can clearly see it hit first, or at least pretty hard secondarily and haven't had any problems yet.

At first they felt uneven. Like they weren't all the same quality. But I guess they're "broken in" now because they're all the same now. All 4 spin just as easily as the other 3 and are nice and smooth. I doubt my ESC reboot problem is motor related so I would definitely suggest them to others.

SnowRocker88

Lmao. Sometimes it's just something stupid...

Guess what happens when you tune your yaw rate in low rates on the Tx then run in high rates and yaw? It shuts two motors completely off and it falls out of the sky.

Haven't tested enough to say this was the problem 100% but it did it again a few times today after applying the heat-shrink. Once up high killing two more props. A couple more times in the front yard under controlled conditions. Dialed down the yaw rate and it seems to be low enough now.

Haha, thanks for the help everyone!

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Do yourself a favour and get the Cobra 2204 2300kv motors. I've been running the SS2204's for a very long time now and been super happy with them (they are much better then that cheaper stuff) but recently had the chance to try the Cobra versions and the give more punch and are more solid in impacts. I believe they may be slightly over they're quoted kv since they produce more thrust and draw more current. My 4s 5" blackout now does 135km/h top speed.

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Lmao. Sometimes it's just something stupid...

Guess what happens when you tune your yaw rate in low rates on the Tx then run in high rates and yaw? It shuts two motors completely off and it falls out of the sky.

Haven't tested enough to say this was the problem 100% but it did it again a few times today after applying the heat-shrink. Once up high killing two more props. A couple more times in the front yard under controlled conditions. Dialed down the yaw rate and it seems to be low enough now.

Haha, thanks for the help everyone!

First of all, never use the the rates in your TX. It reduces the resolution in the FC. Always setup your rates and endpoint adjustments in the Naze receiver page so the controls go 1000-2000 for the best resolution and set the the throttle range the same as what you calibrated the esc's to.

It sounds like you've somehow set up the motors so the motors slowing down are allowed to get too close to min throttle. If they go past then they will switch off.

SnowRocker88

Do yourself a favour and get the Cobra 2204 2300kv motors. I've been running the SS2204's for a very long time now and been super happy with them (they are much better then that cheaper stuff) but recently had the chance to try the Cobra versions and the give more punch and are more solid in impacts. I believe they may be slightly over they're quoted kv since they produce more thrust and draw more current. My 4s 5" blackout now does 135km/h top speed.

Maybe if my Elites start dying on me...until then, I'm very happy with what I have. The hits I've seen this thing take so far...not sure what could actually break anything. It's a beast.

jipp

so its safe to say. the FC should control anything you want. meaning.. your TX could be stupid with limited programming.. and the FC should be able to compute any issue you do not like..

chris.

SnowRocker88

First of all, never use the the rates in your TX. It reduces the resolution in the FC. Always setup your rates and endpoint adjustments in the Naze receiver page so the controls go 1000-2000 for the best resolution and set the the throttle range the same as what you calibrated the esc's to.

It sounds like you've somehow set up the motors so the motors slowing down are allowed to get too close to min throttle. If they go past then they will switch off.

I figured the FC was smart enough to not shut the motors off. I'll look at my settings again and post up the numbers. I thought I got it all right and happy but sounds like I havent. Thanks for the input, I'll follow up tomorrow.

Also, I'm using a Dx5e. No fancy rates in the Tx besides just the hi/lo switch. I forgot it was in lo when I setup the rates in the FC.

Last edited:

SnowRocker88

so its safe to say. the FC should control anything you want. meaning.. your TX could be stupid with limited programming.. and the FC should be able to compute any issue you do not like..

chris.

I figured this was the case then thought maybe not since it's just an Acro. I guess I messed it up when I set it up. I'll try to work through it tomorrow.

jipp

well thats how we learn. i know im gonna be going through all these issues too.. soon. i have my pain meds ready for the head ache. even tho they are for my leg. heh.

apparently the kit i ordered comes with a real carbon fiber frame not g10 mix.. so i hope its durable as i see my self crashing so much..
and get this, the guy has perfect english. i was surprised. i was expecting your typical china reply, he has good feed back, so i have a good feeling about this dealer. time will tell of course.
chris.

ExperimentalRC

and get this, the guy has perfect english. i was surprised. i was expecting your typical china reply, he has good feed back, so i have a good feeling about this dealer. time will tell of course.
chris.

Where did you order it from? Ive seen quite a few US shops selling the full carbon zmr250 recently.

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels

chris.

That's correct, the FC does all the hard work. The TX just sends raw stick and switch data to the FC. The only things a TX is handy for is endpoint/rates adjustment to get those points to reach what the FC is expecting and possibly expo which can be easily adjusted at the field if you haven't setup this to be adjustable from the FC through switches on the TX (if you FC FW can do that of course).

SnowRocker88

Minimum Throttle: 1160
Middle Throttle [RC inputs center value]: 1532
Maximum Throttle: 1950
Minimum Command: 1000

Should minimum command be above min throttle? Could it have to do with my arm/disarm procedure? I have it set on my trainer switch. When I toggle my trainer switch, it returning to the un-pressed position it arms (so, holding the trainer switch is the 'disarm' condition).

Also, I do have MOTOR_STOP enabled.

Board alignment and Acc Trim values all zero.

And here are my current PID Values and rate values.
Current PID Values.png

Last edited:

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Min command is the lowest command the FC will give, Min throttle is the lowest it will allow the motors to spin (min command must always be lower than min throttle) . If you ever adjust min command or max throttle you need to recalibrate the esc's s that is the values they work off. Go into the motor tab and check what level the motors start turning (it should be around 1050) then set min throttle just above that point and see if things improve.