Aero L-39 Albatros V2 - EDF Jet

rkozak

Does any one have pictures showing how the turtle neck is done on v2....I’m on attempt #3 and I still can’t figure it out. 🤨

rkozak

Don't worry about it,
Start by removing the paper from one side of the canopy piece.
View attachment 150170

Then cut a slight bevel on the two edges that form a point. (excuse the slightly spray painted hands)
View attachment 150171

Next flip it over and tape the flaps together so that there is no gap between the two flaps.
View attachment 150172

Then flip it back over and put a seam of glue where the tabs meet.
View attachment 150174

Repeat the last three steps on all of the little flaps or tabs so that starts looking like the canopy on my plane.

Next glue it to your Canopy Base
View attachment 150175

After your glue dries you can remove the tape.
View attachment 150176

Finally you can trim the canopy flush with the base plate.
View attachment 150178

Let me know if this makes sense and if you need anything else.
Do u have pics showing the turtle neck build...,I’m stumped.

Guy S.

I never did completely paint it. But I used some colored tape, and a little bit paint on the canopy. I’m pretty happy with it. Flys great and easy to see. Next to my 2nd fav plane the Mini Guinea.

Attachments

• 620B4EA4-4F07-4583-9EE8-444BD27F57D0.jpeg
    620B4EA4-4F07-4583-9EE8-444BD27F57D0.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 5CBD88F7-9B4B-4A40-BFB9-2D441052AE19.jpeg
    5CBD88F7-9B4B-4A40-BFB9-2D441052AE19.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0

Guy S.

Nice!!! Hopefully the weather next weekend will be good enough to maiden mine.
So glad you found it flies well, gives me hope!!!
I think mine flies great. Like most EDF’s things can happen faster than with other planes. But after starting a ground up design of my own (a eurofighter Thphoon) I’m really impressed by anyone that can design one of these things that files good.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I never did completely paint it. But I used some colored tape, and a little bit paint on the canopy. I’m pretty happy with it. Flys great and easy to see. Next to my 2nd fav plane the Mini Guinea.
That mini guinea looks awesome!!! I'm glad you're having fun with your L-39!

dehager

Hi Gifflyer,

I am trying to import your Aero L-39 V2.1 pdf plans into Inkscape to create gcode for my needle cutter. All I am getting is a blank area during import. Any idea on why or could you elaborate on how you saved the Adobe pdf file? I'm stumped... Thanks!

BTW: your Spitfire plans import ok. Thanks!

Guy S.

Hi Gifflyer,

I am trying to import your Aero L-39 V2.1 pdf plans into Inkscape to create gcode for my needle cutter. All I am getting is a blank area during import. Any idea on why or could you elaborate on how you saved the Adobe pdf file? I'm stumped... Thanks!

I’ve posted the vector pdf, Fusion 360 files, and the Gcode up on the ERC TimSav Facebook page.
But I can share them with you if you like.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Hi Gifflyer,

That's because they were created in a raster format, the spitfire and all future plans will be in a vector program.

ScratchBuildMast

Elite member
A little over a year ago I released my second EDF jet, and it was my first jet that was based off of a full scale counterpart. My main goals with that design were to make it a relatively easy build while still having it resemble the L-39, as well as giving the builder the ability to fly it with a 50mm EDF, or an equivalent to the FT F pack. After flying it for a year or so I started to notice how boxy everything was, and I found lots spots where I could make the design a little easier to build and more importantly, look a lot better.
So this time my goal was simply to retain or improve the flight characteristics, while getting the model to look more like the full size L-39. This is the end result!!
The biggest changes I've made are adding many more facets, and changing up the geometry of the intakes as well as other curves. Aside from a slightly bigger horizontal stabilizer the plane has the same wing and vertical stabilizer so the flight characteristics of the original model are carried over into version two. The power system has not changed so if you've built V1 you can build version two.

I am proud to announce that I'm receiving help from @Zephyr1 to test out this design with a 70mm EDF power system.

Overview-

Speed-
Top speed is great and slows down very well for landing. I was able to clock V1 doing 64 mph at Flite Fest and V2 definitely feels a tad faster, so I'll say it is the realm of around the 70 mph.

Handling-
The L-39 tracks like an arrow and the controls are very smooth giving you the ability to fly like a pattern ship, but it can become "snappy" and abrupt when you really start banging the sticks around.

Stalls-
If your plane stalls it will likely drop a wing but it is nowhere near entering a spin, all you have to do is level the wings and then power out.

Aerobatics-
Since the plane lacks a rudder the aerobatic ability is limited to the basics such as, Loops, Rolls, Inverted, Split S's etc.

Take offs-
I like launching this plane by holding it right in front of the wing and giving it a really strong toss, you really need to give this bird a solid toss or else it won't have enough airspeed to sustain flight.

Landing-
Landing this model is quite simple all you need to do is bleed almost all your airspeed and get it close enough to good 'ol terra firma to put ground effect to work, then right before to hid land, flare the plane and you'll "ride" a cushion of air to the ground.

Skill level-
I'd want to wait until I've flown at least one unforgiving plane that flies quite fast and taught me how to avoid stalling.

Plans: Aero L-39 Plans V2.1

Flight Video:
@Grifflyer is there a way that I can use a BDF (which is 4”) instead of a 50mm edf?