Any FREE Things out there?

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
i dont know much about NiMH batteries, but i trust you and your opinion, so i will check around and ask around if the invest is worth it because i dream of getting into fpv one day and i dont want to put the NiMH batteries away.
Anyways, what NiMH battery would be the equivalent of a Turnigy/FlightMax 3s 3000mah battery?

The battery charger I'm sending you can charge NiMH batteries. It certainly is a great idea to look into it and if the battery is cheap enough, it's definitely worth a try.

stay-fun

Helicopter addict
You would have to check the voltage and weight. You'll get less mAh (less flight time), but if your weight and especially voltage is the same, you're good to go.

So a 3S lipo is 11.1V nominal, or 12.6V fully charged. A NiMH single cell is 1.2-1.3V. This means you're looking for 10s packs.

A turnigy 3S 3000 mAh lipo is ~250 grams. It's 20C, so capable of delivering 3000*20=60.000 mA, or 60A.

I found this battery on HK, it's a 5 cell 1500 mAh NiMH battery. So you would need 2 of those in series to get the desired ~12V. The weight of the pack is 120g, so two of those would be 240g, very close to the LiPo pack above.

So for the same weight, you have half the mAh if you go NiMH. Additionally, the maximum current that this battery could sustain is 10C, or 10*1500=15.000 mA or 15A. This is significantly less!

Some things to think about :). Maybe there are higher C NiMH batteries around, I just did a quick look to give you an example, now it's time for you to do a more thorough research! :)

Jnr Kuzi

You would have to check the voltage and weight. You'll get less mAh (less flight time), but if your weight and especially voltage is the same, you're good to go.

So a 3S lipo is 11.1V nominal, or 12.6V fully charged. A NiMH single cell is 1.2-1.3V. This means you're looking for 10s packs.

A turnigy 3S 3000 mAh lipo is ~250 grams. It's 20C, so capable of delivering 3000*20=60.000 mA, or 60A.

I found this battery on HK, it's a 5 cell 1500 mAh NiMH battery. So you would need 2 of those in series to get the desired ~12V. The weight of the pack is 120g, so two of those would be 240g, very close to the LiPo pack above.

So for the same weight, you have half the mAh if you go NiMH. Additionally, the maximum current that this battery could sustain is 10C, or 10*1500=15.000 mA or 15A. This is significantly less!

Some things to think about :). Maybe there are higher C NiMH batteries around, I just did a quick look to give you an example, now it's time for you to do a more thorough research! :)

so does that mean that the tricopter wont be able to do aerobatics but it will still fly smooth?

stay-fun

Helicopter addict
aerobatics require power, so if you go NiMH, that will never work. But as you are a beginner, learning to hover, I think it should work. Other people on this forum are more knowledgable about multirotors and power requirements for them, so they can give more information about power requirements. Once you know the power requirements, you can choose the battery that fits that requirement.

Also, you can use the NiMH to begin with, and further down the road, as your skills improve, upgrade to LiPo, if you have saved money and stuff.

califrag

i guess its a Good Thing, because patience has really payed off.
Oh, i meant to ask you.
Do you have any dead recievers? I have access to a HotAir machine and if components are dead, i can replace them.

Hey Jnr, fortunately/unfortunately I don't have any dead receivers.

I wanted to include a working Turnigy 9x receiver I have, but I have another plan in mind though, I just need to get a couple other people on board and hopefully it can work.

If anybody would like to help contribute toward a transmitter/receiver, please PM me for details :)

Jnr Kuzi

Hey Jnr, fortunately/unfortunately I don't have any dead receivers.

I wanted to include a working Turnigy 9x receiver I have, but I have another plan in mind though, I just need to get a couple other people on board and hopefully it can work.

If anybody would like to help contribute toward a transmitter/receiver, please PM me for details :)

Thanks for the feed back. I was on hobbyking today and i found a Mini-transmitter and reciever which cost $25, $47 (shipped + extra reciever)
whats your opinion on the transmitter? Is it hobby grade?

califrag

Thanks for the feed back. I was on hobbyking today and i found a Mini-transmitter and reciever which cost $25, $47 (shipped + extra reciever)
whats your opinion on the transmitter? Is it hobby grade?

That one will work, but I don't think it will be good for you to be honest. You will probably outgrow it quickly and then need to upgrade. Plus, that only can be set up easily for one kind of 'model', so if you want to fly multirotors and planes you will definitely want to go with something more programmable, otherwise you will be constantly changing your settings/trims/channels/etc.

stay-fun

Helicopter addict
I agree. Also, really think about quality that you buy. Yes, you can buy cheap, but is it durable? If you have to wait 4 weeks every time you order something, that SUCKS. And it becomes expensive. So I would personally shoot for mid-range equipment: not the cheapest stuff, but more durable.
...so stay away from hobbyking? Possibly...

For example, in general the HK lipos are crap. I've had packs fail after 50 cycles. I have other packs (hyperion) and they have lasted already 250+ cycles, and still going strong. They were double the price, but well worth it.
I still buy HK packs though. Why? They're cheap, and if you bust up your pack due to a crash, I'd rather do that with a cheap pack. This translates to electronics as well, especially transmitters. The FT crew use a lot of HK stuff: servos, receivers, ESCs, motors... But have you ever seen them use a HK transmitter? No. Conclusion? :rolleyes:

One other thing: I see you want a tricopter. I totally understand, I also think they're a lot cooler than quads, but... they have a servo. You're going to crash that copter, and the servo will break. Is it easy to get new servos, or servo gears? If not, I'd consider a quadcopter instead. They're more robust, and easier (cheaper) to fix. Motors usually don't break.

As for the motors: go with motors with a bolt-on prop adapter, rather than a long shaft with collet. In a crash, the latter will bend the shaft. Replacing a shaft is a pain, man. Also, where do you get new shafts?
(bending it back is usually not possible...)

Last edited:

Jnr Kuzi

@Califrag, Good Point. But for now, im building something that i want to fly and show to people who might Just fund my organisation. So i guess its a cheap one for now.

@Stay-fun
I willl love to build a Quad later on, or i will modify the frame califrag is Giving to me.
I have a found a fairly cheap motor,esc and prop combo with good reviews.
Do you recommend HK donkey systems?
=) http://www.hobbyking.com/mobile/viewproduct.asp?idproduct=40269&type=&idparentcat=284

Last edited:

stay-fun

Helicopter addict
No. There is no bolt-on prop adapter, so if you bend the shaft, you'll need to buy another one.

stay-fun

Helicopter addict
I'm talking about motors without protruding shafts, such as this one:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...00W_Brushless_Motor_short_shaft_version_.html

If you take this specific motor, you'll need the prop adapter package as well.

Key is, the prop adapter is bolted to the motor can. This reduces the chance of bending your shaft a lot! I'm only buying these short shaft motors now. I've bent a lot of DT750 shafts, and I don't buy them anymore.

A lot of people will tell you this motor sucks, though. And there are a lot better options out there (away from HK) for hardly more money. But you're in quite a special situation due to your location and wallet... That's why I get that you want the donkey thing, but I wonder if that's going to be more expensive in the long run...

Decisions, decisions...

Jnr Kuzi

NTM motors, Nice

I'm talking about motors without protruding shafts, such as this one:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...00W_Brushless_Motor_short_shaft_version_.html

If you take this specific motor, you'll need the prop adapter package as well.

Key is, the prop adapter is bolted to the motor can. This reduces the chance of bending your shaft a lot! I'm only buying these short shaft motors now. I've bent a lot of DT750 shafts, and I don't buy them anymore.

A lot of people will tell you this motor sucks, though. And there are a lot better options out there (away from HK) for hardly more money. But you're in quite a special situation due to your location and wallet... That's why I get that you want the donkey thing, but I wonder if that's going to be more expensive in the long run...

Decisions, decisions...

i was considering the NTM motors, but im not sure if they come with motor mounts. I cant get them built, so i put them off.
What esc's work for them?

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
You might consider MyRCMart.com and RCTimer.com as well for some of your needs!

Thurmond

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I want to quickly add that the battery charger I'm sending you can charge up to a 15 cell NiMH battery pack.

Also, I picked up the controller boards from frogman today. I don't know for sure when I'll send it out. I want to wait a bit just to make sure I'm not forgetting anything.

If you go with a Hobby King Tx, I can send you some of my receivers. But don't let that influence your decision. It's a decent transmitter, but it's a pain to have to go use a computer to change it's settings. But that's not a big deal if it's dedicated to your multirotor. I'm sure others know better about this, but that radio doesn't have any expo and I have no idea if you need that for multirotors or not.

Lastly, do you have or have access to a multimeter? I have a cheap $10 one I can send you. I don't use it much and I can easily just go buy another one when/if I need it. It would be nice for you to have to check the voltage of batteries.

Jnr Kuzi

I want to quickly add that the battery charger I'm sending you can charge up to a 15 cell NiMH battery pack.

Also, I picked up the controller boards from frogman today. I don't know for sure when I'll send it out. I want to wait a bit just to make sure I'm not forgetting anything.

If you go with a Hobby King Tx, I can send you some of my receivers. But don't let that influence your decision. It's a decent transmitter, but it's a pain to have to go use a computer to change it's settings. But that's not a big deal if it's dedicated to your multirotor. I'm sure others know better about this, but that radio doesn't have any expo and I have no idea if you need that for multirotors or not.

Lastly, do you have or have access to a multimeter? I have a cheap $10 one I can send you. I don't use it much and I can easily just go buy another one when/if I need it. It would be nice for you to have to check the voltage of batteries.

wow, thanks. And please take your time and package everything in a order.
May i suggest "write a check list of the stuff you plan to send, then when you are finally boxing it it up, you know whats missing"
when it comes to the multimeter, i dont have one, but i may or may not find access to one. So if you can, please add the $10 one.
I Need those recievers because you have convinced me to go with the hobbyking radio.
It may not be High grade, but if it flies, its great for me.
Thank you for the support.

Jnr Kuzi

"Batteries,Batteries,Batteries" SIGH

so i took all the suggestions you guys made and went to hobbyking to purchase the NiHm battery packs.
Then the thing i dreaded the most happened, (only one shipping method)
it still costs 85bucks to ship even the NiHm batteries.
This is bad.
HOBBYKING DO SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

electricRC

HbbyFLyr
hey if you guys are giving away free stuff... I don't have anything to contribute, just getting started in the hobby myself. I have a working flyer, now just need to get it to fly. But I find that even with little flying skills myself, I am still always looking forward to my next 3 or 4 projects.

Jnr Kuzi

Shout out to ElectricRC

hey if you guys are giving away free stuff... I don't have anything to contribute, just getting started in the hobby myself. I have a working flyer, now just need to get it to fly. But I find that even with little flying skills myself, I am still always looking forward to my next 3 or 4 projects.

thanks for checking out the Thread. You dont have to contribute with physical goods, but just your true support is really valued.
Thanks.