The final touch. I downloaded an image of a radial engine, resized it to fit and printed it on self-stick label stock.
Flight Report. She flies! I was very anxious before the first flight. I made sure the balance was slightly nose heavy. I tossed it for a couple of test glides. It has a pretty good glide, as good as expected. I gave it 3/4 throttle and threw it into the sky. It flies nice. I'm glad the ailerons aren't any bigger. This tiny motor needs 2/3 throttle or more to keep the speed up out of tip stall danger. I made a few circuits of the field and brought it in for a safe belly landing. A successful maiden flight. 😎
I hope to record some video of it flying for the next post.
On the fourth flight I got bold and tried some loops and rolls. While rolling out it stalled and got into a spin. It started at two mistakes high. Should've flown it three mistakes because after almost recovering twice it hit. The firewall popped loose and a motor wire broke. No other damage. I replaced the motor with an almost identical Racerstar BR1811-2000KV. Here's the maiden flight with the new motor.
I amp tested with a 7x3.5 prop because the new motor KV is higher and that size prop is bigger than recommended. At full throttle it only draws a tiny 2.5 amps so it's cool. It now has more thrust than the first motor did with a 6x3.5 prop so it is an improvement. After trimming it out I'm happy with how it flies. A few more flights and I'll try those loops and rolls again.
Build slide show followed by new flight video beginning at 4:12
I've flown the Texan a lot. It flies like the free-flight airplane it was intended to be. It is more stable than I thought it would be. In fact, it doesn't like to be upside down. Simple inside loops can be tricky to finish because it wants to roll out at the top of the loop. More power and weight would make it sportier but I like it just the way it is.