• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Avro Vulcan

Scunner73

I may be late to the party here but have you guys ever designed or built an Avro Vulcan for the mini or swappables range? If you made a Vulcan the same size as the mini warbirds/ F22 I would buy one in a heartbeat.

It was such a shame to see it go out of service earlier this year and it would be a fitting send off for the old girl.

Many people seem to have posted plans on various forums but I cant seem to find any kits or RTF versions out there.

Scunner

Revere

I got to see the Vulcan several times in flight, awesome aircraft. I am also old enough to remember the "impossible" bombing mission they carried out during the Falklands war.
If you ever get the chance read "Vulcan 607" by Rowland White. It's a non-fiction novel of the events and the problems leading to and during the flight, don't let the fact that it is non-fiction put you off, it's not some dry dusty tomb it reads like a Hollywood movie once it gets going. Read the review here.

Scunner73

Vulcan

Hey Revere

That's a good suggestion, as it happens I was contemplating a new book/audiobook so that seals it :)

I saw the Vulcan recently during the recent farewell flights over South East England and just the noise makes your knees weak. I was born in '76 so I remember the amazing feats of the Falklands conflict but it's all very hazy in my memory so the book will do nicely.

I just can't believe that the RAF won't allow any private companies to take over the Vulcan despite several offers apparently. Sad times.

Scunner

Scunner73

Vulcan

Good find, just watched the documentary and can't believe I'd never seen that one before. Could anything else have gone wrong for them? Amazing.

... and just the noise makes your knees weak.
They were some noisy b*stards! I saw them a couple years at the Mildenhall Airshow back in the mid 80s and they were the loudest airplane in flight I've ever been around. I think the Harriers in hover/VTOL mode were just as bad but the Vulcans were just loud all the time. Amazing to watch though.

Revere

Heh, I was born in 76 as well :cool:
That book is very very good, it's not often a book can get an emotional response from me but it did. Half the time is spent despising the government for their criminal idiocy and the other half is, I dunno, I guess pride? at what the aircrews managed even when it seemed everything even their own people were against them.

Vulcans are big and noisy but they apparently handle like a dream. I remember the last vulcan flight over Northern Ireland a couple years ago, I could see it coming from a long way off, fast and low, didn't hear a thing till it was almost overhead then BAM! It's like a giant is squeezing the air from your chest while screaming in your ear.