Baa Baa Black Sheep, Have you any wool? Yes Sir, Yes Sir three Planes full!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Yep. That's cool. It does look like you made the spar to fit the lights.

I don't have any good ideas for lighting the vertical stab, either. I've got ideas. They're just not good. ;)

"Family time." Let's hope your wife likes "Baa Baa Blacksheep" as much as you do! :LOL:

Jimun

Elite member
Worked on the Corsair a bit. Got the fuse together, dowel on the leading edge of the wings and the hatch for the removable wing done:LOL::LOL:. Yay.

Corsair 07.JPG

Corsair 08.JPG

Corsair 09.JPG

Corsair 10.JPG

Had a little trouble keeping things lined up. So far I think I am ok.
Now to install the tail and motor pod. Then I have to work on the paint and figure out:unsure: how I want to do the decals.:)
Thanks to Flite Test Master Series Corsair Olathe Mods for the inspiration for the removable wings, hatch and using the dowel for the leading edge of the wings.

kilroy07

Legendary member
Worked on the Corsair a bit. Got the fuse together, dowel on the leading edge of the wings and the hatch for the removable wing done:LOL::LOL:. Yay.

View attachment 136789

View attachment 136790

View attachment 136792

View attachment 136793

Now to install the tail and motor pod. Then I have to work on the paint and figure out:unsure: how I want to do the decals.:)
Thanks to Flite Test Master Series Corsair Olathe Mods for the inspiration for the removable wings, hatch and using the dowel for the leading edge of the wings.
I like the Popsicle sticks rather than the bits of foam shown in the video...

As I close in on finishing this build, I have mixed feelings about the "Master Series" kits...
There are some parts that are just darn cool! Obviously, having more rounded shapes makes more realistic aircraft... But the tail, man is that wonky or what?!!! (Maybe it was just me...)

I also had some alignment issues with the wing, that may have been due to humidity at FF... I had not completed the wing build at FF and when I returned several pieces had some warping to them... I thought it would work itself out during construction, but maybe not.
IMG_9220[1].JPG

The construction method for the wings worked better than I imagined watching the video (to me the spar looked pretty flimsy.)
(I nearly panicked when I saw you had not mounted servos/tail before the wing, but then realized you were leaving your wing removable...) :rolleyes::LOL:

I already have some de lamination of paper on the cowl flaps... (most likely due to me fussing with the tail so much...)

I also had to cut a hole in the spar plate for the servo cables?..... Going to go back and watch the video... Was that part of the plan?...
My servo hole ended up inside the spar channel... (are my wings THAT far out of alignment?!!) :eek:

I ironed the leading edge (of course)... helped some. Still a huge proponent for ironing.

Here's my solution for the tail issue, design a new one.
IMG_9216[1].JPG
Here's a closeup of how the LEDS are wired... (yes, it's chewing gum and bailing wire...)
IMG_9217[1].JPG
And, a test... It's "good enough"...
IMG_9218[1].JPG

PoorManRC

Master member
THAT'S an improvement!!
The Vstab ALWAYS bothered me. I had to watch that section twice, because I didn't believe it!
NEEDS more rigid mounting.

Like your redesign Tim!

Berekiah

It's getting around that time to join the party over here. I love what ya'll have done so far and look to incorporate some of those improvements you have been finding to make it all better. I figured I might as well send where I'm starting from, but I think I have enough to start as soon as I have the time :) Looking forward to all the rest you accomplish and share in this build. Good Luck.

IMG_0593[1].JPG

kilroy07

Legendary member
It's getting around that time to join the party over here. I love what ya'll have done so far and look to incorporate some of those improvements you have been finding to make it all better. I figured I might as well send where I'm starting from, but I think I have enough to start as soon as I have the time :) Looking forward to all the rest you accomplish and share in this build. Good Luck.

View attachment 136861
Looks like an awesome start! Welcome aboard!! (y)

buzzbomb

I know nothing!

View attachment 136861
Even the pieces are sexy. I love that canopy!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!

View attachment 136789

View attachment 136790

View attachment 136792

View attachment 136793

Looks good to me, Jimun! It's coming along nicely!

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
So for those who built this.... How Important is the wooden spar? can it be done in foam & glue? just curious.

I have a MS Corsair Kit, but I want to another out of the DTFB for night/dusk Flying.

@kilroy07 - It's looking real good. In the tails, did you put the folded LED strand face into the foam to light it, or outward(the short directions) to give the brightest light?

kilroy07

Legendary member
So for those who built this.... How Important is the wooden spar? can it be done in foam & glue? just curious.
No, I think not... the spar is pretty flimsy until it's sandwiched between the wing skins (and weren't you sposta send me a PM?)

mayan

Legendary member
@FoamyDM thanks. If you don’t want to use plywood on the spars than at least sandwich the FB spar with 2mm / 3mm balsa wood. That’s what I would do if I build a new one and had no plywood spars.

@JTarmstr never too late to join the fun. Like I said at the very beginning the more that join the more knowledge others will have. Join us with pleasure and bring a friend too ;).