Baby Bugatti

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Whu...what just happened to this thread?! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

FWIW, for all the "scale detail" of a Mighty-Mini sized plane, you could skip the formers and build a BabyBugatti, but make it a high-wing instead of a mid-wing, then color it white instead of blue! :p

FWIW, for all the "scale detail" of a Mighty-Mini sized plane, you could skip the formers and build a BabyBugatti, but make it a high-wing instead of a mid-wing, then color it white instead of blue! :p
Uh...
Sorry. :sneaky:

But they're sort of related, right? The planes I mean. :D

♫♪ Just put on a happy face! ♬♩♯♪

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Oh guys, don't misread, I'm not mad at all! I think it's awesome the BB has inspired another crazy little build. Keep it goin!

If one of you DOES make plans for that Racing Bird, you might want to start a new thread just so people can keep track of it on its own, but please feel free to share it here too! :D

Oh guys, don't misread, I'm not mad at all! I think it's awesome the BB has inspired another crazy little build. Keep it goin!

If one of you DOES make plans for that Racing Bird, you might want to start a new thread just so people can keep track of it on its own, but please feel free to share it here too! :D
Oh nothing's misread. We love you dude and read you loud & clear!

Just put on a happy face. LOL

OliverW

Legendary member

I definitely could! I would just have a hard time trying to get the wing to fuse blend I'd like without making it MS

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Cut out the wing, but leave some extra on the trailing edge at the root so you can "cut to shape" and blend it to look the way you want. Then trace it and copy what you did.
I agree - I would base it off the Baby Bugatti plans. A master series this size would be cool but super hard to build since the fuse is so small. I would just use an iron to make the edges curved - that would keep it simple, light, and it would still look great.

Jesse Dupreez

We all have our stagnant points... either those times when we're working on something and nothing seems to go right, or we want to try something new but inspiration and motivation are lacking...

I had one such moment a few days ago when trying to design a 1-sheet DTFB plane, I just couldn't draw anything that seemed worth it. Following along with willsonman's Bugatti build, he talked about similar motivational struggles, and that got me thinking... it was actually his honesty about the struggle that sparked my imagination. I decided to try and design a 1-sheet DTFB Bugatti, both as a personal challenge for myself, and a (hopefully) welcome distraction for my friend. So, the "Baby Bugatti" was born. ;)

UPDATE: SCALED UP 24" SPAN PLANS HERE:

View attachment 95373

SP0NZ PLANS FOR 20" VERSION:

All-In-One | Full-Size | Tiled

SPECS:

LENGTH : 17 in

CG : 0.75 in from wing LE

WING SPAN : 20 in

WING AREA : 77 in2

DRY WEIGHT : 5 oz

ALL UP WEIGHT : 7 oz

WING LOADING : 13.1 oz/ft2

WING CUBIC LOADING : 17.9

RECOMMENDED SETTINGS

THROW EXPO

AILERON 8 - 12° 60%

ELEVATOR 8 - 12° 60%

RECOMMENDED BEGINNER POWER

Motor: MT1806-2280
Prop: 5x5
Battery: 2S, 500-1000mAh (also flies well on 3S and 4S - NOT BEGINNER FRIENDLY)

Previous beta plans: View attachment 84509
NOTE: As of 3/11/17, Successfully flown!
UPDATE: SP0NZ plans links added 5/15/17
R5 added 3/21/17 - Adds CG marks, reference scale, throw gauges and refined bottom hatch closure[/B]

View attachment 84054

View attachment 83564

Design goals:
  1. Use no more than 1 sheet of DTFB - No carbon, nothin' fancy!
  2. Size similar to FT Mighty Mini series
  3. Scale lines where possible
  4. Simplify shape for ease of construction - FT techniques only
  5. 2 servos - Aileron and Elevator only

So far, I think I've hit all my goals; I'm quite please with how it looks, and the first night of building went relatively quickly considering I'm making up the instructions as I go!

The pictures of my first build should tell most of the story, but I'll answer questions as they come. I also will be posting plans, but only after I've sorted the first one myself and added all the twiddly details that crop up when building.

As of posting, I have a motor arriving tomorrow and plan on a weekend maiden, so stay tuned!

Lastly; Thank you to Joshua for his dedication to his own build, and encouragement on mine. His 1/6th scale beauty is a one-of-a-kind, but I would be terrified to take the controls even if he gave them to me, so I'm hoping the rest of us can have some extra "mini" fun on the side while we watch. :cool:

V-tail
View attachment 83565

Wing, unfolded, paper removed
View attachment 83566

Tail pieces, with gauge
View attachment 83567

V-tail glued with gauge
View attachment 83568

Vertical glued under V-tail
View attachment 83569

Underside of tails
View attachment 83570

Fuse top and sides, unfolded, paper removed
View attachment 83571

Fuse fold 1 - Standard A-fold, rear half only
View attachment 83572

Fuse fold 2
View attachment 83573

Tail slides into rear fuse
View attachment 83574

View attachment 83575

Top of tails installed
View attachment 83576

Power pod motor mount
View attachment 83577

Power pod reinforced
View attachment 83578

Wingtip tape reinforcement; necessary to keep the cut-back corner from ripping the paper during folding
View attachment 83579

View attachment 83580

Slender spar, mostly to give the wing some shape, not really structural itself
View attachment 83581

View attachment 83582

Bottom of wing after folding/gluing
View attachment 83583

Top of wing after folding/gluing
View attachment 83584

Elevator pushrod: Single servo pushes a single rod, bent into a long "U" with Z-bends on each end.
View attachment 83585

Elevator servo will go just under the flap, on top of the wing
View attachment 83586

Elevator pushrod(s) exit over the V-tail.
Elevator installation is as such:
  1. Feed elevator pushrod thru servo horn
  2. Feed pushrod thru hole on top of V-tail
  3. Mark elevator control horn locations
  4. Install control horns on pushrod ends
  5. Glue control horns into elevator in the marked slots
  6. Center elevator surfaces & Center elevator servo arm
  7. Glue down elevator servo while holding elevator surfaces centered

View attachment 83587

Fuse bottom showing Rx location, will be closed up after installing aileron servo forward of the wing
View attachment 83588
do you need a special controller for the v tail?
i have a old 4ch controller,will it work?