Thanks! I've been using the Greenstar Outdoor Vinyl and Oracal 651 Outdoor Vinyl and find they are pretty darn permanently stuck to the covering once they get a little pressure. If I start to get crooked with the decal, and I'm very lucky, I can pull it back up a little bit and adjust the angle - but once a couple inches of the material make contact with the vinyl, it's not going anywhere. I haven't tried wet application with this stuff yet, but that's supposed to work just fine and give a little more working time without messing with long term adhesion.
Lessons on this one have been reminders that CA doesn't sand well, slow down and use titebond or superphatic on all outer surface joins, vinyl decals don't stretch around curves like iron on covering can, and that Steven's Aeromodel makes a really excellent kit
Vinyl decals can stretch a bit, and the heat makes them bend easier - but too much heat will lead to disaster quickly! The transfer tape is the bigger issue, as that doesn't handle curves well. One thing with the vinyl decals I haven't tried yet is applying them over a soapy water mix, which should allow you to move the decal around for final placement before squeegeeing out the excess water and letting it dry.
Flight report: no video unfortunately, but I was able to get her up for maiden flights during an indoor fly in at the National Building Museum in DC yesterday. Beautiful place to fly! Every year we modelers are able to take it over for a day, and split the 4 story vaulted ceiling area into an area for micr-RC, free flight, and family building activities. Anyway, back to the flight report.
She took off well - no ground looping challenges on taxi. I had the CG right where it is on the instructions and she lifted off and handled very gracefully! Made a couple circuits, and then got in trouble near the "downdraft corner" where the air movement seemed to fight my left rudder input and I chopped throttle and watched it nose into an arch way at about 10' up. Did the walk of shame, and was surprised to find the only thing that happened was the wing popped out of it's slot! With a quick rubber band adjustment I was back in the air for another flight - this time avoiding that corner for several succesfull circuits and a smooth landing. :applause:
Then I got greedy and went up one more time and wouldn't you know - that darn corner sucked me back in and she lost altitude like a brick coming around that corner and refused to bank over enough to make the turn properly. Hit the same darn column, but only about 4' off the ground this time. No damage again, so I put her away before I did anything really stupid.
I think she's really going to be a great flyer in either calm outdoor mornings or a slightly longer indoor space like a triple court double gym.
And next time she's out I'll remember to get some video